How the U.K. NHS charges overseas visitors for NHS hospital care

skorts

In case anyone is interested, here is a useful summary, “How the NHS charges overseas visitors for NHS hospital care” (published 1 August 2018):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

Key sections from this document are:

1. Within England, free NHS hospital treatment is provided on the basis of someone being ‘ordinarily resident’. It is not dependent upon nationality, payment of UK taxes, national insurance contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number or owning property in the UK. The changes which came into effect from April 2015 affect visitors and former UK residents differently, depending on where they now live.

Treatment in A&E departments and at GP surgeries remains free for all.

2. People living outside the EEA

People who live outside the EEA, including former UK residents, should now make sure they are covered by personal health insurance, unless an exemption applies to them. Anyone who does not have insurance will be charged at 150% of the NHS national tariff for any care they receive.

The key thing seems to be “free” secondary NHS Care will only be provided to U.K citizens, based on them being U.K. resident (there are exceptions for ex-service personnel etc).

Definition of U.K. resident used by the NHS:

UK residents: people who are "ordinarily resident" in the UK. Being ordinarily resident currently means people living here lawfully, voluntarily and for a settled purpose as part of the regular order of life for the time being. The Charging Regulations currently do not apply to people who are ordinarily resident in the UK.

3. Returning to the UK to settle

Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.

There is a legal obligation placed on all NHS Hospitals to establish a patients eligibility for “free” NHS Hospital care and to recover any charges due accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So you get care if you are 'ordinarily resident'. And if you return 'on a settled basis' you will be classed as 'ordinarily resident', so get your health care. I do not say FREE cos I have paid for it all of my working life. Oh sorry, it is NOT dependant on my paying UK taxes, National Insurance contributions etc, so I must pay 150%.

I've not lived in the UK for the last 10 yrs, if I return for a month without personal insurance and needed treatment I would be charged 150% above the tariff the NHS charges, fortunately I have no intention of returning, can only see one dumbass with your post!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I just popped back for hernia treatment after 12 years in Thailand.

I didn’t pay a Penny......... because I am not a dumbass.

Well tel us how you did not pay a penny? I'm sure many would like to know.Are you still resident there but not live there? Have you paid NIS all your life? Explain?

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I just popped back for hernia treatment after 12 years in Thailand.

I didn’t pay a Penny......... because I am not a dumbass.

So you lied and you scammed the system? The NHS is a residency based system and by your own admission you haven't been UK resident for the past 12 years, there can be no other possible explanation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

Guy not lived in the UK for 12yrs but goes back for help by having a false address probably parents or mate etc sounds very dishonest to me!!!

But you did say in No3 that there's something wrong somewhere. It IS against the law, but the law is (sometimes) an ass, a badass !

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Of course it is against the rules, but how many of you out there would go back for free treatment if you had to?

A fair point....yes I would, or rather I might but there again I live there six months each year so technically I am UK resident - I do think however that six months in and six months out is abou the limit, twelve months out though is a stretch too far.

• Like 1

Guy not lived in the UK for 12yrs but goes back for help by having a false address probably parents or mate etc sounds very dishonest to me!!!

Personally i think its the govt that are dishonest,so anyone who paid in all his working life and is then treated so badly,can afford to be a little "dishonest" .

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Personally i think its the govt that are dishonest,so anyone who paid in all his working life and is then treated so badly,can afford to be a little "dishonest" .

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's the government's fault for allowing people who have not returned to the UK for many years to all of a sudden return to use the NHS, incredible that he admitted to doing that, he said "it didn't cost me one penny" well the return flight home was certainly more than a penny the plumb lol

When the NHS was founded in 1948 it was done so on the basis of free health care for everyone, it wasn't explicitly stated at the time but this was for people in the UK. In later years it became necessary to be explicit about who could use the system, this was because people from other countries, people who didn't live in the UK, started to abuse the system and it became overloaded as a result. Even later still the system started to be abused by British people who had left the UK, returning after several years or in old age, solely in order to take advantage of free health care. Somewhere along the line it became necessary to make clear that eligibility for free NHS treatment is determined by residency and this is pretty much in line with its remit when it was first started back in 1948, in that respect eligibility rules have not changed although they have been made more explicit.

The definition of residency was a little murky but has now been broadly defined as being UK resident for at least six months each year, and/or, returning to the UK in order to live there on a permanent and settled basis - separate rules apply to armed forces personnel.

National Insurance contributions (NIC's) help towards payment for certain UK benefits including Jobseeker Allowance, Maternity Pay, Incapacity Benefit etc etc although I'm not sure the complete list of these benefits was ever precisely defined at the outset. What is clear however is that NIC's were not introduced in order to pay for the NHS albeit in today's world some money from NIC's is used to pay for some NHS facilities: "National Insurance contributions are paid into the various National Insurance Funds after deduction of monies specifically allocated to the National Health Services (NHS). However, a small percentage is transferred from the funds to the NHS from certain of the smaller sub-classes. Thus the four NHS organisations are partially funded from NI contributions but not from the NI Fund.[9".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Insurance

The bottom line of the above is that eligibility for free NHS treatment, outside of emergency treatment, is intended for UK residents who live in the UK for at least six months each year, not for those who simply paid NIC's for X years, not for those who own homes or pay Council or income tax in the UK and not for those who are merely UK citizens. If people don't meet the above criteria they are scamming the system and are part of the problem, part of the reason why the NHS is under stress. If people have found effective workarounds to help disguise their residency then good for them, well done, just don't try and pretend however that doing that is an acceptable part of the way the NHS is designed to operate.

• Like 1

When the NHS was founded in 1948 it was done so on the basis of free health care for everyone, it wasn't explicitly stated at the time but this was for people in the UK. In later years it became necessary to be explicit about who could use the system, this was because people from other countries, people who didn't live in the UK, started to abuse the system and it became overloaded as a result. Even later still the system started to be abused by British people who had left the UK, returning after several years or in old age, solely in order to take advantage of free health care. Somewhere along the line it became necessary to make clear that eligibility for free NHS treatment is determined by residency and this is pretty much in line with its remit when it was first started back in 1948, in that respect eligibility rules have not changed although they have been made more explicit.

The definition of residency was a little murky but has now been broadly defined as being UK resident for at least six months each year, and/or, returning to the UK in order to live there on a permanent and settled basis - separate rules apply to armed forces personnel.

National Insurance contributions (NIC's) help towards payment for certain UK benefits including Jobseeker Allowance, Maternity Pay, Incapacity Benefit etc etc although I'm not sure the complete list of these benefits was ever precisely defined at the outset. What is clear however is that NIC's were not introduced in order to pay for the NHS albeit in today's world some money from NIC's is used to pay for some NHS facilities: "National Insurance contributions are paid into the various National Insurance Funds after deduction of monies specifically allocated to the National Health Services (NHS). However, a small percentage is transferred from the funds to the NHS from certain of the smaller sub-classes. Thus the four NHS organisations are partially funded from NI contributions but not from the NI Fund.[9".

The bottom line of the above is that eligibility for free NHS treatment, outside of emergency treatment, is intended for UK residents who live in the UK for at least six months each year, not for those who simply paid NIC's for X years, not for those who own homes or pay Council or income tax in the UK and not for those who are merely UK citizens. If people don't meet the above criteria they are scamming the system and are part of the problem, part of the reason why the NHS is under stress. If people have found effective workarounds to help disguise their residency then good for them, well done, just don't try and pretend however that doing that is an acceptable part of the way the NHS is designed to operate.

Dishonest scroungers are everywhere!!!

15 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I "it didn't cost me one penny" well the return flight home was certainly more than a penny the plumb lol

Yep, it certainly was.

But as I managed to coincide it with business, my company paid it. 

Plumb ?   LOL      beats a dumbass in my book....

• Like 1

I will be uk next April and will look at setting up an address (sister is very straight so maybe at mates)

Now

I will not be claiming anything

i can at a register at doctor no problem

no bank accounts been away for 22 years

quite simply what do i have to do and what costs incurred for mate these i will cover

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Tough on those who have paid NIC all their working life, NEVER claimed any benefit whatsoever, and cannot get NHS treatment because they live abroad 182.5 days in a year, or 183 in a Leap year..

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1