Tinnea / Ringworm / fungal infection

Stevemercer

I've got a fungal infection on the groin which keeps getting worse. It's gotten to the stage where even the wife won't go anywhere near it! Any suggestions for a cure?

First off I tried Canesten cream (Clotrimazoia) and Ninazol oral tablets from a local pharmacy. The fungus was much worse after one month. Of course, I used proper hygiene, keeping everything dry, cleaning with rubbing alcohol etc.

I finally went to a doctor who prescribed Griseofulvin oral tablets. I changed topical cream to Nizoral (Ketoconazole). Unfortunately I've had a bad reaction to the tablets (nausea, sore stomach/gut, burning in hands/arms, depression) and had to give them up after 7 days. I'm allergic to penicillin and suspect it might have something to do with that. The doctor prescribed 20 days on the tablets, and I think they might have started working, but the cure was worse than the disease.

Someone suggested a 7 day course on Itraconazole and I'll ask my dermatologist about that.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any topical creams that actually seem to do something?

I had a case of ringworm recently and it took Canesteen cream applied 3 times a day for several weeks for it to clear up completely. I didn't see any improvement at all for about a week and even then, it was very slow to respond. The pharmacist indicated that that is not unusual and to stick with it which I did and in the end it all worked out.

Much of what I read online said that some fungal infections can take a couple of months or more to clear up using Canesteen cream. Maybe you need something stronger, but maybe persevering with Canesteen cream might help. Either way, best wishes in getting it cleared up soon.

Thanks for your advice.

I had scrapings done twice which confirmed fungal infection (not bacterial). I had a blood test a few months ago (including HIV) which was clear.

I'll persist with the creams. I think I gave up too quickly after the first course of treatment. 

I'm taking the Itraconazole 7 day treatment now. I'll be amazed if it clears in the 7 days!

Archived