Thailand Now On List Of Countries For Direct Deposits Of Social Security Payments

5 hours ago, fantom said:

The bank fee is one thing, the important figure to check is the exchange rate.

By the way the title is a bit misleading ("Thailand Now On List Of Countries For Direct Deposits Of Social Security Payments"), there are other countries apart from the US.

Yes, there are other countries apart from the US. I am from the US, and don't care when headlines aren't up to my standards of accuracy. I tend to read and move on after figuring out what's what.

18 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Now if only the US would allow Medicare to be used in Thailand.

...Medicare, Tricare and so on. Medical fraud outside the USA, is one reason various programs are not for those of us living overseas. Medical fraud in the USA is also a problem, but less difficult to track down the fraudsters.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Benmart said:

...Medicare, Tricare and so on. Medical fraud outside the USA, is one reason various programs are not for those of us living overseas. Medical fraud in the USA is also a problem, but less difficult to track down the fraudsters.

Absolutely right!

can you imagine the nightmare of trying to manage Medicare outside the US?

I know it is never going to happen but what if they made it available in one or two major medical institutions in some countries that are regarded reliable? Then they can have a monitoring system with litle chance of obuse . 

On 11/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, Pib said:

Time to ask the Manila FBU Social Security Office about the sign-up form and other specifics.  Hopefully they are clued in.

There is also a possibility Thailand IDD is not open for mass enrollment yet as the SSA started off with a Thailand IDD pilot/test program of less than 10 people.  The US Embassy earlier mentioned the Thailand IDD would be available the first quarter of 2019.

why is it so difficult to contact Manila FBU social security office, send them more then 6 months ago,  3 emails requesting assistance and to date still not answer, by any chance do you have a better (then the email) way to contact them

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

why is it so difficult to contact Manila FBU social security office, send them more then 6 months ago,  3 emails requesting assistance and to date still not answer, by any chance do you have a better (then the email) way to contact them

No....I don't have any email other than their main one and the rep that is currently responsible for my SSAN. 

I know exactly how you feel in terms of generally no to very slow email response from the Manila SS Office. 

I've dealt with them for about 3 years now in my own pension filing, a family member's and a couple of Thai-American neighbors. It seems over the last year it can be hard to get any response...or you get a response that really does not answer your question/address the situation.   Just seems over the last year or so they have got s.....l.....o......w.

And dealing with the Baltimore Office which approves/does the final processing on all applications/pensions outside the U.S. is no better. Manila is just a local office which feeds applications/changes to Baltimore for action.  In fact you can not even email Baltimore you have to call them.  And depending on what your problem is there are three different offices/numbers you need to call.  One is their main 1800 catch-all number which handles general info questions and small issues, another one is if your pension application has been submitted but not approved yet, and then another one depending on your SS number if your application has already been approved.   Call the wrong number and you'll just be told to call another number or they will send an internal message to the appropriate office.

Yeap, a couple years ago my opinion of Manila were they were pretty responsive; but over the last year my opinion has shifted to they are not very responsive in many cases.   But if Manila has already taken you application and forwarded it to Baltimore for processing/final approval then even Manila is reluctant to do any follow-up with Baltimore unless Baltimtore has had at least 60 days to process an action/request/question. 

Thank goodness filing for pension is a once in a lifetime thing as it can be frustrating dealing with the SSA if the application runs into a  bump....a glitch.  But if your application sails thru without any issues then a person can get an impression the SSA quickly works things.  However, it's not until "some problem/issue" raises its ugly head that person can feel the pain and frustration of the SSA s......l......o.......w......n.....e......s......s.

15 hours ago, Benmart said:

Private medical insurance seems to be able to handle claims outside the US.

My US insurance lists “preferred provider” hospitals outside the US that will help expedite claims. Medicare should designate preferred provider hospitals that could be used outside the US.

20 hours ago, Pib said:

You got the exact exchange web...was no .05 less.  I expect you did not take into account the two Bangkok Bank fees (one from the NY branch and one from your local branch) for international transfers/payments such as SS, military retirement, etc.  These fees do not appear on your bank account as they the applied before posting to your account.

You can also sign-up for the free SMS Remittance Alert from Bangkok Bank that shows amount received Thailand, exchange rate, local fee, and posting amount/date/time.   The dollar amount shown as rec'd will be lite the NY branch fee.  

Sorry.. I don’t go thru Bangkok bank in New York, it goes straight to my Thailand account I went to my branch and was told no fees are charged ..  I also did the math.. my deposit was exactly the amount times the exchange rate.. my payment date is the 3rd Wednesday of the month it arrives in my bank about 3am USA time so I doubt it’s passing thru New York..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

No....I don't have any email other than their main one and the rep that is currently responsible for my SSAN. 

I know exactly how you feel in terms of generally no to very slow email response from the Manila SS Office. 

I've dealt with them for about 3 years now in my own pension filing, a family member's and a couple of Thai-American neighbors. It seems over the last year it can be hard to get any response...or you get a response that really does not answer your question/address the situation.   Just seems over the last year or so they have got s.....l.....o......w.

And dealing with the Baltimore Office which approves/does the final processing on all applications/pensions outside the U.S. is no better. Manila is just a local office which feeds applications/changes to Baltimore for action.  In fact you can not even email Baltimore you have to call them.  And depending on what your problem is there are three different offices/numbers you need to call.  One is their main 1800 catch-all number which handles general info questions and small issues, another one is if your pension application has been submitted but not approved yet, and then another one depending on your SS number if your application has already been approved.   Call the wrong number and you'll just be told to call another number or they will send an internal message to the appropriate office.

Yeap, a couple years ago my opinion of Manila were they were pretty responsive; but over the last year my opinion has shifted to they are not very responsive in many cases.   But if Manila has already taken you application and forwarded it to Baltimore for processing/final approval then even Manila is reluctant to do any follow-up with Baltimore unless Baltimtore has had at least 60 days to process an action/request/question. 

Thank goodness filing for pension is a once in a lifetime thing as it can be frustrating dealing with the SSA if the application runs into a  bump....a glitch.  But if your application sails thru without any issues then a person can get an impression the SSA quickly works things.  However, it's not until "some problem/issue" raises its ugly head that person can feel the pain and frustration of the SSA s......l......o.......w......n.....e......s......s.

thanks for the feed back, am preparing for the pension next January, and their lack of basic support is mind blowing, slow is not the correct word because it has been a nightmare dealing with them, from extremely slow to completely out of sense answers.....that's Manila, due to lack of answers from them decided to contact Baltimore, agree 100% with you.... it's the same, I understand they might be busy but for God's sake, taking 6 months to answer a simple question????  again thks for your reply

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

thanks for the feed back, am preparing for the pension next January, and their lack of basic support is mind blowing, slow is not the correct word because it has been a nightmare dealing with them, from extremely slow to completely out of sense answers.....that's Manila, due to lack of answers from them decided to contact Baltimore, agree 100% with you.... it's the same, I understand they might be busy but for God's sake, taking 6 months to answer a simple question????  again thks for your reply

I have been doing all my SSA dealings online... create a mysocial security account and I was able to change my direct deposit to my Thai bank account online..

• Like 1

Just now, JRUSA said:

I have been doing all my SSA dealings online... create a mysocial security account and I was able to change my direct deposit to my Thai bank account online..

have my online account already and all is working as it should, but contacted Manila to get additional support for some docs..... it has been more than 6 months, still no answer... thus had to contact Baltimore and sorted it out there

2 hours ago, JRUSA said:

Sorry.. I don’t go thru Bangkok bank in New York, it goes straight to my Thailand account I went to my branch and was told no fees are charged ..  I also did the math.. my deposit was exactly the amount times the exchange rate.. my payment date is the 3rd Wednesday of the month it arrives in my bank about 3am USA time so I doubt it’s passing thru New York..

OK.  You are talking the monthly transfer of your SSA pension.  You are having the pension direct deposited to your Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand.   The SSA is paying your pension via the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system. 

To transfer/pay money via the ACH system two key pieces of info are needed:  the bank's ACH routing number and your bank account number.   

The ACH routing number being used is the Bangkok Bank "New York" routing number of 026008691.  You SSA payment is routed thru/sent to the Bangkok Bank NY who "slice off a fee as shown in below fee schedule" and forward the funds onto your Bangkok Bank local branch....to your account number at that branch.  Within Thailand Bankgok Bank then applies another receiving fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max). 

Both of these fees are applied "before posting to your account" and do not appear anywhere on your account which fools a lot of people  into thinking now fees were applied but indeed there were.  See below fee Bangkok Bank fee schedule which applies to all ACH transfers such as US govt payments sent via ACH, bank  transfers sent via ACH, etc.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

image.png.92c71ff8fa367b9d5157e283a3ab2d57.png

9 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

You were able to change your direct deposit account number online because you do "not" have your Thailand address registered with SSA...you still have your US address on file with SSA.  

Once you notify SSA of your address in Thailand you will no longer be able to change your direct deposit info using your mySSA account since you will then have a foreign address.   Then you will need to contact SSA by mail, email, phone call to make a direct deposit change....and when you click the Direct Deposit link on mySSA to attempt a change that's the info you will be greeted with. 

SSA requires all beneficiaries to them of address changes within 30 days.  Obviously you have not done that or you split your time between the US and Thailand and have decided to keep your US address on file with the SSA.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

assuming you are using Bangkok Bank, correct me if I am wrong, should I understand you are not paying any fees to the Bangkok Bank NY and only paying fees at your local Bangkok bank

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

assuming you are using Bangkok Bank, correct me if I am wrong, should I understand you are not paying any fees to the Bangkok Bank NY and only paying fees at your local Bangkok bank

He's paying a Bangkok Bank NY fee "and" local branch fee but just don't realize it as talked in my earlier post talked.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

You were able to change your direct deposit account number online because you do "not" have your Thailand address registered with SSA...you still have your US address on file with SSA.  

Once you notify SSA of your address in Thailand you will no longer be able to change your direct deposit info using your mySSA account since you will then have a foreign address.   Then you will need to contact SSA by mail, email, phone call to make a direct deposit change....and when you click the Direct Deposit link on mySSA to attempt a change that's the info you will be greeted with. 

SSA requires all beneficiaries to them of address changes within 30 days.  Obviously you have not done that or you split your time between the US and Thailand and have decided to keep your US address on file with the SSA.

that means one can have the SSA address in the US and the bank receiving the pension outside the US, it's strange they didn't catch it, I try to do it and they say receiving bank outside US not matching your residence address, couldn't do it

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

He's paying a Bangkok Bank NY fee "and" local branch fee but just don't realize it as talked in my earlier post talked.

so not receiving in Thai bank without using Thai bank located in NY, thus not direct deposit as there's intermediary bank to collect the ""extra"" fee

Here's an example of how fees are applied as your US govt payment or bank transfer you generated flow to/thru Bangkok Bank via the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system.

Let's say SSA pays you $1500 after all tax deductions, Medicare, just whatever deductions.  $1500 is transmitted by SSA. 

Since a person is using Bangkok Bank for his direct deposit, SSA transmit the funds to the Bangkok Bank "New York" branch which slices off a $5 fee for amounts between $100.01 and $2,000.  The NY branch then transmits/forwards $1995 to his "in-Thailand" Bangkok Bank branch account.

That branch receives $1995 and the first thing it does is apply the "TT Buying Rate" in effect at the time time.  Let's say the exchange rate is 33.00.  $1995 times 33 equals Bt65,835.    The branch then applies the 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) receiving fee.  0.25% of 65,835 equals Bt164.59. 

Since Bt164.59 is below the Bt200 minimum fee a fee of Bt200 is subtracted from the Bt65,835 which leaves Bt65,635 which is then posted to your account.  The two fees mentioned above do not appear anywhere as they were applied before posting to the person account.

A person can sign up for the Bangkok Bank free SMS Remittance which will basically show above when the funds are posted to  your account.

14 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

that means one can have the SSA address in the US and the bank receiving the pension outside the US, it's strange they didn't catch it, I try to do it and they say receiving bank outside US not matching your residence address, couldn't do it

Not sure I completely following what you said. 

However,  when a person enters the Bangkok Bank ACH routing number that ACH routing number is tied to its New York branch address....a licensed US bank.  I'm assuming you were entering the Bangkok Bank info as Bangkok Bank is the only, repeat, only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability...no other Thai bank has that ACH capability.

There a possibly with the Bangkok Bank policy change requiring "IAT" format for ACH payment/transfers effective 1 Apr 19 that it's already being rejected for new-adds/changes on the SSA system.   

A few questions for you to help me follow what you are saying:

1. You were trying to use your Bangkok Bank account, right?

2. Did the SSA system only ask for entry of a routing number and account number...or did it "also" require you to enter your bank branch's address? 

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I believe this is their number ..

Tel: (+ 63 2) 301-2000 option 9 

Find us online at www.ssa.gov 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Not sure I completely following what you said. 

However,  when a person enters the Bangkok Bank ACH routing number that ACH routing number is tied to its New York branch address....a licensed US bank.  I'm assuming you were entering the Bangkok Bank info as Bangkok Bank is the only, repeat, only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability...no other Thai bank has that ACH capability.

There a possibly with the Bangkok Bank policy change requiring "IAT" format for ACH payment/transfers effective 1 Apr 19 that it's already being rejected for new-adds/changes on the SSA system.   

A few questions for you to help me follow what you are saying:

1. You were trying to use your Bangkok Bank account, right?

2. Did the SSA system only ask for entry of a routing number and account number...or did it "also" require you to enter your bank branch's address? 

They asked for branch address and I stopped the action

On 12/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pib said:

Hopefully you are aware that unless Bangkok Bank is receiving your payment in "IAT" format, effective 1 Apr 19 your SSA payment will be rejected back to SSA.

Recommend you review below thread/links on subject....and also call the POC on the Bangkok Bank letter at bottom "to specifically ask if your payment is currently being received in IAT format."  For many people (like on of my family members) it's not being received in IAT format but PPD format.  The PPD format will be rejected effective 1 Apr 19.  

Also review this Bangkok Bank webpage regarding the policy change

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

And here is a key letter anyone with a Bangkok Bangkok Direct Deposit account is "suppose" to receive on one of their visit to their branch to withdraw funds from the account.    Personally, I doubt many of the branches are handing out the letter.

914860496_BBL011018.jpg.c012e1601ba88920f6fff714f3ceac07.jpg

Thank You kindly ... I'd no idea ....

On 12/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, Pib said:

Hopefully you are aware that unless Bangkok Bank is receiving your payment in "IAT" format, effective 1 Apr 19 your SSA payment will be rejected back to SSA.

Recommend you review below thread/links on subject....and also call the POC on the Bangkok Bank letter at bottom "to specifically ask if your payment is currently being received in IAT format."  For many people (like on of my family members) it's not being received in IAT format but PPD format.  The PPD format will be rejected effective 1 Apr 19.  

Also review this Bangkok Bank webpage regarding the policy change

And here is a key letter anyone with a Bangkok Bangkok Direct Deposit account is "suppose" to receive on one of their visit to their branch to withdraw funds from the account.    Personally, I doubt many of the branches are handing out the letter.

914860496_BBL011018.jpg.c012e1601ba88920f6fff714f3ceac07.jpg

Hi Pib,

Thanks again.

Just got off the phone with Bangkok Bank rep in Bangkok main office.  They checked my account and it was auto changed already 2 months ago to IAT format, which was a relief.  Just to let you know ... instructions were: "Do Nothing."

21 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

Hi Pib,

Thanks again.

Just got off the phone with Bangkok Bank rep in Bangkok main office.  They checked my account and it was auto changed already 2 months ago to IAT format, which was a relief.  Just to let you know ... instructions were: "Do Nothing."

"Auto changed?"  The only agency that could have done that is the SSA themselves.  Did you contact SSA (Manila or Baltimore) and ask for a change to IAT format?  

You might want to call Bangkok Bank again in a week or so and ask again.   And beware Bangkok Bank NY and locally have told some folks SSA sends "all" payments in IAT format which is not true...and that is one main reason put out their policy letter.  Plus I have talked face-to-face with the POC on the Bangkok Bank letter and the rep said their are thousands which are not being rec'd in IAT format from various US govt agencies such as SSA, DFAS for Mil Retirement, VA, etc.   She even showed me some redacted printouts of what non-IAT payment look like....like the non-IAT SSA payment my family member was receiving.  And of course this issue is also why the US Embassy got involved in working with the SSA to allow IDD for Thailand.

Yea, I would check again...and be sure you express you want to know about your specific payment....have them look it up....otherwise, they might be giving you a general answer of "most" payments are arriving in IAT format.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

"Auto changed?"  The only agency that could have done that is the SSA themselves.  Did you contact SSA (Manila or Baltimore) and ask for a change to IAT format?  

You might want to call Bangkok Bank again in a week or so and ask again.   And beware Bangkok Bank NY and locally have told some folks SSA sends "all" payments in IAT format which is not true...and that is one main reason put out their policy letter.  Plus I have talked face-to-face with the POC on the Bangkok Bank letter and the rep said their are thousands which are not being rec'd in IAT format from various US govt agencies such as SSA, DFAS for Mil Retirement, VA, etc.   She even showed me some redacted printouts of what non-IAT payment look like....like the non-IAT SSA payment my family member was receiving.  And of course this issue is also why the US Embassy got involved in working with the SSA to allow IDD for Thailand.

Yea, I would check again...and be sure you express you want to know about your specific payment....have them look it up....otherwise, they might be giving you a general answer of "most" payments are arriving in IAT format.

Will do .... she said she checked my account (online) and was able to see that was already in IAT format .... however, I will double check wirth Manila.   Thanks again

Will do .... she said she checked my account (online) and was able to see that was already in IAT format .... however, I will double check wirth Manila.   Thanks again

Don't waste your time with Manila...they can't tell you that detail....they can only tell you what bank you money is being deposited to, but you already know that.

A family member received a social security payment today as they have it go to Bangkok Bank...it was "not" in IAT format like previous payments.      

One way to be pretty sure you payment is "not" arriving in IAT format is if you receive the Bangkok Bank free SMS Remittance Alert when a foreign transfer posts to your account such as a govt pension payment if it starts off as "SSA Treas 310..." which represents which SSA payment center is generating the payment then that almost always means it "not" in the IAT format.   The Bangkok Bank POC told me that face to face.....I hope she was sure about that....just repeating what she said.  If you see "PP" or "PPD" in the description then it's not in IAT format.  IAT format will include an "IAT" reference. 

If you happen to get that free SMS Remittance Alert how does it start off?

I have my SS payment going to a US bank in Texas and its description also starts off as "SSA Treas 310..."  It's not arriving in IAT format since it's not an international ACH transaction.

Yea, you statement of "auto changed..." sounds strange.  If SSA is "auto correcting/changing all payments going to Bangkok Bank" which I do not believe then my family member's payment today should have been in IAT format....but it wasn't.

Just "be sure" your payment is in IAT format or come your April 19 payment you be wondering "where is my money."

Edited by Pib

Effective 3 Dec 18 appears Manila is cutting back their "contact by phone" days & times.  You use to be able to call them Mon-Fri during business hours.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

image.png.82b3ed20d434d36b9ca3e134f339bfe7.png

• Like 1

Don't waste your time with Manila...they can't tell you that detail....they can only tell you what bank you money is being deposited to, but you already know that.

A family member received a social security payment today as they have it go to Bangkok Bank...it was "not" in IAT format like previous payments.      

One way to be pretty sure you payment is "not" arriving in IAT format is if you receive the Bangkok Bank free SMS Remittance Alert when a foreign transfer posts to your account such as a govt pension payment if it starts off as "SSA Treas 310..." which represents which SSA payment center is generating the payment then that almost always means it "not" in the IAT format.   The Bangkok Bank POC told me that face to face.....I hope she was sure about that....just repeating what she said.  If you see "PP" or "PPD" in the description then it's not in IAT format.  IAT format will include an "IAT" reference. 

If you happen to get that free SMS Remittance Alert how does it start off?

I have my SS payment going to a US bank in Texas and its description also starts off as "SSA Treas 310..."  It's not arriving in IAT format since it's not an international ACH transaction.

Yea, you statement of "auto changed..." sounds strange.  If SSA is "auto correcting/changing all payments going to Bangkok Bank" which I do not believe then my family member's payment today should have been in IAT format....but it wasn't.

Just "be sure" your payment is in IAT format or come your April 19 payment you be wondering "where is my money."

Maybe they are “auto changing” accounts in batches, a little at a time, based on name (alphabetically), time of month payments are made, when benefits were started, or some other criteria???

On 12/4/2018 at 2:30 AM, srowndedbyh2o said:

Maybe they are “auto changing” accounts in batches, a little at a time, based on name (alphabetically), time of month payments are made, when benefits were started, or some other criteria???

Who is "they?"  It sure ain't Bankgok Bank as only SSA can make such changes.

Yesterday I was at HQ Bangkok Bank on a issue and talked to the POC on the 1 Oct 18 Bankgok Bank letter talking the policy change.   I mentioned a person on social media said a Bangkok Bank rep the person talked to said they "auto changing" payments to IAT format. 

She quickly replied well if that is occurring it's not Bangkok Bank as only the SSA can make such payment changes....and she said the person saying that on social media must have misunderstood whatever Bangkok Bank rep they talked to.

She also said approx 30% of the incoming SSA payments are "not" in IAT format....like two SSA payments one of my family members got on 3 and 5 Dec.  

Where you earlier this "auto change" to the correct IAT format happened around two months ago, did you by chance submit something to SSA 2 to 4 months ago like maybe a SSA-1199 Direct Deposit form?  If so, maybe that is why yours got changed.