Share Your Bangkok Thai Restaurant.

Nyezhov

Vietnamese Food, very good and reasonable 

Pa Kae Vietnamese Restaurant

123/205 Samsen Rd., Bangkok, 02-243-4788. Open daily 9am-6pm

The fifth generation Viet-Thai owner opened this restaurant when she was a young woman and now she’s a lovely grandma. The moo yor (pork sausage) is just a little peppery while the noodles are cooked to a nice chewy texture. Another dish we love is the nam nueng (Vietnamese meatballs, B50 for a stick) which tastes amazingly fresh. The best thing here is the rich and flavorful sauce, though. End your meal with the bua loy (taro balls in coconut milk, B20) which comes with very young coconut.

This was a great find, real Vietnam food in a casual home-style local atmosphere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

One place I often make the trip to is out at Si Yan, it's a noodle restaurant called Bamee Hooa Dtoh.  What makes this one special is that they hand make their own noodles every day, around a 100 kilos of them, and sell out. They also prepare and roast all their own meats. Their stir fried noodles (bamee) with BBQ pork, crispy roast pork and geeo sap are superb (around 80 baht), deep fried spring roll pretty good too.  The nam gra jiab is very good here too, very strong and not too sweet (15 baht).    The restaurant has been going 50 years, it's open from around 9 IIRC until 7pm but frequently sell out before 2pm.  It's near Dusit post office down Soi Si Yan 1.  Included a link to Maps as it's a pig to find with search (mainly because Google does not list the English name (karaoke Thai) as per the Thai pronounced name): https://goo.gl/maps/v6U7Frsiqns

If you go there, come out of Si Yan 1 and turn right, walk up the main road about 150 yards on the right and there's a lady that sells the best hawm mok I've ever had.  She again is very popular, often sold out by 1pm.  They have pork and fish versions.  Awesome.  20 baht ea.

I also really enjoy the kao sawy at Craft Cafe near BTS Phra Khanong. Very rich and creamy soup, and pretty spicy!

Hmmm, that area is on my list to go to very soon. Take the boat to Pri Yap. Perfect.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

Around Ari BTS:

Krua Mae Panya, in a tiny alley between Ari Soi 1 & 2, Close to Pahonyithin soi 7

Suan Kularb,  In between Soi Ari Samphan 1 & 2, at the lower part of Rama VI Soi 30.

Baan Pueng Chom, Bit hard to see and find by the end of Soi Chua Chit, and have to walk forward through a gate that looks private,  like its in the Jungle.

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Hmmm, that area is on my list to go to very soon. Take the boat to Pri Yap. Perfect.

Well worth it.  A couple of stalls before the hawm mok place is a stall that does superb Yam naem Khao tawt ยำแหนมข้าวทอด (ร้านพี่อ้อ ยำแหนม-ข้าวทอด).  Good to get to that area around 10am IMO, after 2pm it's highly likely they will all be sold out.

18 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Well worth it.  A couple of stalls before the hawm mok place is a stall that does superb Yam naem Khao tawt ยำแหนมข้าวทอด (ร้านพี่อ้อ ยำแหนม-ข้าวทอด).  Good to get to that area around 10am IMO, after 2pm it's highly likely they will all be sold out.

I usually go early if I am exploring, because I like to get lost and am easily distracted by everything.

• Like 2

Champ zap ver      
 810 Pracha  Uthit road 
Samsennok
Huai Khwang
Bangkok 

They sell isaan and thai food for a little bit more then streetfood but its an aircon place and very clean the food is delicious smoked pork , smoked chicken , all kinds of som tam all kinds of soup and fried chicken , fish large menu so something for everyone for sure and its no falang area you might sometimes see one that got lost but thats it 

One of my favourite places to eat in bkk is Prai Raya on Sukhumvit Soi8. It's a little bit pricey if you're used to eating in local places, but the food and service is excellent. Their signature dish is the crab yellow curry. Although it's in a tourist area, they don't water anything down

• Like 2

For somtam and its sisters and khao niaw, try Yum and Tum in Q House Lumpini. In a mall, a bit pricier than average, but excellent. The crispy fried morning glory with pork sauce is spectacular.

Google Maps (they also show a location in Sukhumwit, I've never been)

https://goo.gl/maps/GQzJAidyFKx

My top 10:

Soei 

Pochana 55

Pe Aor

Somsak Pu Ob

Tom Yum Goong Banglamphu

Jae Oh

Kor Panich

Sanguan Sri

Wattana Panich

Natthapon Coconut Ice Cream

All of these are listed in the food recommendation app TopTravelFoods. I think you guys will love that app!

1 hour ago, JBe1990 said:

My top 10:

Soei 

Pochana 55

Pe Aor

Somsak Pu Ob

Tom Yum Goong Banglamphu

Jae Oh

Kor Panich

Sanguan Sri

Wattana Panich

Natthapon Coconut Ice Cream

All of these are listed in the food recommendation app TopTravelFoods. I think you guys will love that app!

Kor Panich is excellent mango sticky rice (and not food) but the lady in a stall across for the Mall at Thapra does it just as good and cheaper. They have great Mango Sticky rice on the first floor in Iconsiam, and at least three carts that are 5 star at the WangLang market.

As to Somsak Pu Ob, are you talking the Lat Yai location or the Krung Thonburi location?

Pochana 55 is too farang oriented IMHO. Sort of like Im Chan (which is just OK) near Phrom Pong BTS.

Wattana Panich is OK, but waay overpriced. Talat Phlu Beef Noodles is better (Thoet Thai Road)

Jae oh was good when I was there a few years ago

I dont do travel food apps, they are usually BS. I find that Google is the way to go. You wouldnt be shilling that travel app would you? You have been to all the places you mention?

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

For seafood, the wife and I go to Ob Aroi at least once every couple of weeks.  Big and bustling, but fun and good value. 

Funny I have been looking at that place, its easy for me to get to and would make a nice adventure, BTS to San Saeb, boat to Wat Theepla, taxi (3 klicks), then Taxi back to Petchaburi MRT (7 klicks).....it gets good reviews, any specific bomb dishes?

3 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Had a great meal at Lek Seafood right at the Chong Nonsi BTS station last night.  It was about 2000 baht for five of us with many different dishes and beer.  

How were the individual dish prices? 

Just now, Nyezhov said:

How were the individual dish prices? 

The Thais in the group took care of all the ordering so I don't know.  It did include Tom Yam for all of us, a grilled fish, pla muk khai khem, snails, a couple of vegetable dishes  a large seafood hotplate and a couple of other dishes I've forgotten.

44 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Funny I have been looking at that place, its easy for me to get to and would make a nice adventure, BTS to San Saeb, boat to Wat Theepla, taxi (3 klicks), then Taxi back to Petchaburi MRT (7 klicks).....it gets good reviews, any specific bomb dishes?

2 hours ago, JTXR said:

For seafood, the wife and I go to Ob Aroi at least once every couple of weeks.  Big and bustling, but fun and good value. 

I second this place, very good seafood. The prawns are great and I have had the seabass both fried and steam, both were excellent but preferred the fried. They are kind of famous for their mango and sticky rice also. Casual both outside and aircon inside seating but with inside you might want to make reservations.  There is a menu on their webpage.....  http://www.obaroi.com/home.html

• Like 2