Child expiring Thai passport travelling to Europe

Hi,

my 9 years old daughter and I will be travelling in Italy next week for a 2 weeks holiday. She hold double passports (Italian/Thai).

I however just realized that her Thai Passport will expire next April 5th.

Technically i should still be in time to make her a new one early next week (last time I made her a Thai passport took an hour at the most in total), but I was wondering, since she'll use her Italian passport in Italy, if she would be allow to fly without making a new one.

I'm afraid not since she would have to show her Thai passport to exit Thailand? or else?

Thanks

Edited by kerr17

If you can do a PP renewal it cannot hurt.

But, you should have no problem leaving Thailand, only the check-in clerk would need to see her Euro passport to show she could enter Italy.

Do NOT show her Italian passport to the outgoing immigration bod. Rule-1 of multiple passport holders is never show more than one passport to an immigration official (just make sure it's the right one).

Ditto coming back in, she would be allowed to enter even if her Thai passport had expired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

If you can do a PP renewal it cannot hurt.

But, you should have no problem leaving Thailand, only the check-in clerk would need to see her Euro passport to show she could enter Italy.

Do NOT show her Italian passport to the outgoing immigration bod. Rule-1 of multiple passport holders is never show more than one passport to an immigration official (just make sure it's the right one).

Thanks.

However I'm pretty sure I showed the double passport at the immigration in the past. Reason is because I'm travelling without the mother and they were wondering if I was the real father or not (despite having the same last name).

Once I showed them the Italian passport, they let us go without problems.

Doesn't she need to show her Thai passport as well at the check in being here without a visa?

Could I have some problem on my way back?

Unfortunately I'm not sure her mum would have time to come and sign for a new passport in time prior to our departure.

Just now, kerr17 said:

Doesn't she need to show her Thai passport as well at the check in being here without a visa?

Could I have some problem on my way back?

You will probably have to show check-in both passports. It's immigration who shouldn't need to know. 

Travelling without Mum it's advisable to have a letter of consent allowing the youngster to leave the country.  Don't show it unless asked but it's good insurance to have in reserve.

Thai Immigration only need to see the Thai Passport (the have no interest in the Italian Passport).

Thai Immigration will not be interested in the duration of a Thai Passport if the planed return is within expiry. In fact, a Thai can return on an expired passport, they cannot be denied entry into their country of nationality for an expired passport. 

Thus - you have no issues whatsoever. 

That said - get the renewed Thai passport, it doesn't take long and it means you get it out of the way instead of having to remember it in future. 

Just now, Crossy said:

You will probably have to show check-in both passports. It's immigration who shouldn't need to know. 

Travelling without Mum it's advisable to have a letter of consent allowing the youngster to leave the country.  Don't show it unless asked but it's good insurance to have in reserve.

I was referring to the immigration.

Anyway my main concern is at the check inn. Thai airways advice me to make a new passport, but I'm pretty confident as well she could fly without making a new one (she enter Italy with an Italian passport anyway, Thai passport won't be used at all if not at the return).

However at the check inn on my return, can the airline ask for a 6 months plus validity Thai passport to travel to Thailand without a visa?

Is the immigration bothered at all with the 6 months validity?

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said - get the renewed Thai passport, it doesn't take long and it means you get it out of the way instead of having to remember it in future. 

I totally agree. thanks!

By the way, do they release Thai passport same day?

I believe so but I really can't remember exactly and I can't find the information.

Which passport did she last enter Thailand on, if she entered using her Thai passport then she should use that one to leave.

As has previously said, she should use her Italian passport to check in, this will satisfy check-in staff that she’s allowed to enter Italy without a visa.

If she entered using her Italian passport, then she should leave using that, any overstay penalty would be waived.

On her return journey, again as has been pointed out, she can enter using her expired Thai passport.

I think you can get a Thai passport, at CW, the same day, or at least you could do so in the past.

She used her Thai passport to enter, as she live and study here as a Thai citizen.

So if she show her Italian passport at the check in, could then the Thai immigration make any problem later?

Anyway I'm going to CW for my Visa next Monday and I'll bring her along.

Thanks for the advices.

I’ve just noticed that her passport expires in April and you will only be away for two weeks, so her Thai passport will still be valid on her return.
So it’s even more simple, show the Italian passport when checking-in in BKK, her Thai passport when passing through Immigration, and her Italian passport when boarding the aircraft, then the gate staff won’t look for a visa.
On her return use her Thai passport at check-in, her Italian passport when clearing Immigration, and her Thai passport when boarding the aircraft and when re-entering the Kingdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, kerr17 said:

She used her Thai passport to enter, as she live and study here as a Thai citizen.

So if she show her Italian passport at the check in, could then the Thai immigration make any problem later?

Anyway I'm going to CW for my Visa next Monday and I'll bring her along.

Thanks for the advices.

The rule is simple.  If you are a citizen of the country you are entering YOU MUST enter that country on its passport, same with exit. i.e A Thai Citizen must enter and exit Thailand on their Thai passport. If you are not a citizen then you can use whatever passport you want.  ie an Aussie with Aussie and UK passports must leave Australia on their Aussie passport but can enter Thailand on either UK or AU.

Its a crime in most countries to use the wrong passport of you are a citizen.

12 hours ago, omegaman said:

The rule is simple.  If you are a citizen of the country you are entering YOU MUST enter that country on its passport, same with exit. i.e A Thai Citizen must enter and exit Thailand on their Thai passport. If you are not a citizen then you can use whatever passport you want.  ie an Aussie with Aussie and UK passports must leave Australia on their Aussie passport but can enter Thailand on either UK or AU.

So then I definitely need a new passport. Thanks.

The rule is simple.  If you are a citizen of the country you are entering YOU MUST enter that country on its passport, same with exit. i.e A Thai Citizen must enter and exit Thailand on their Thai passport. 
I’m sorry but that’s not 100% correct, some countries have that rule but certainly not all, for instance the US does but the UK doesn’t.

You are however correct in saying that you should leave a country with the same passport you enter on.

None of this affects the OP’s daughter, she has a Thai passport, she entered the Kingdom using it, and it seems to be valid for the duration of her trip.

9 hours ago, kerr17 said:

Airline however suggest that they cannot accept a passport with a validity of less then 6 months regardless of my stay in Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The Italian passport satisfies that rule for the airline, outbound from Italy immigration does not care as long the passport is valid for as the passport is valid, and you will use the Italian passport anyway 

inbound immigration in Thailand for a Thai citizen does not care even if the Thai passport has expired.

it may be helpful to know which airline you are flying.

• Like 2

We had EXACTLY the same issue recently, and just used my daughters ‘western’ passport for all travel outside of Thailand. Her Thai passport only had 4 months validity and that was fine for leaving and coming back to Thailand.

So long as your daughter won’t be using the Thai passport except for departing and re-entering Thailand then she will be fine. Thais can enter their own country at any point regardless of the time remaining on the validity of the passport. Indeed they can enter on an expired passport. 

On how to use dual passports properly, check out the following link. 

http://www.thaicitizenship.com/traveling-with-two-passports/

Edited by Weddings Parties Anything
  • Like 1

The Italian passport satisfies that rule for the airline, outbound from Italy immigration does not care as long the passport is valid for as the passport is valid, and you will use the Italian passport anyway 

inbound immigration in Thailand for a Thai citizen does not care even if the Thai passport has expired.

it may be helpful to know which airline you are flying.

Thai Airways.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, kerr17 said:

Thai Airways.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thai Airways WILL NOT be a problem as they are very well aware of the rules governing Thai passports (they will certainly even check you in with only an expired Thai Passport, personnel knowledge), the only possible slight problem will come at Check-in in Italy as often it is local contractors doing that work, however they have Thai Airways supervisors who will know that it is no problem 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 12/8/2018 at 9:21 AM, omegaman said:

18 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I’m sorry but that’s not 100% correct, some countries have that rule but certainly not all, for instance the US does but the UK doesn’t.

You are however correct in saying that you should leave a country with the same passport you enter on.

None of this affects the OP’s daughter, she has a Thai passport, she entered the Kingdom using it, and it seems to be valid for the duration of her trip.

The oldgit is correct, omegaman is incorrect on every country he list, "most" countries cannot/will not refuse entry to a citizen. Yes it may delay things, but the UK, Australia and Thailand will not refuse entry to a citizen. 

Logic would yell you this if you think about it. 

And it's not a crime in any of these countries to use another passport. 

I manage to renew the passport in a day (3000THB).

However can I fly with my kids without their mum just bringing with me their Thai birth certificate and the Khor11 (fathership custody released by a Thai court) without a letter of consent from their mom?

Both my daughters have dual citizenship.