2nd consecutive 60 day tourist visa?

Hi all

Sure this has been answered before at some point...

I came to the kingdom at beginning of October for the first time on a 60 day tourist visa from the UK. At the end of the 60 days I extended my stay by a further 30 days at immigration tii Krungtep.

I am enjoying Thailand and would like to return for a further 90 days. I have booked a two week holiday to Malaysia and Singapore just before the 30 days expires. I aim to obtain another 60 day tourist visa from either KL or Singapore during my holiday and fly back to Suvarnabhumi airport in the new year.

I aim to have 20,000 baht in cash, bank statement showing income outside of Thailand, well dressed etc. I am safe to come back via Suvarnabhumi or should I travel by train and cross via a land border?

Thanks

No problem airport with your history. You didn't mention your visits, stays in Thailand prior. A few threads running now of problems at airport, however those cases were tourists visas and visa exempt over 18 months up.. The 20k baht is good idea. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

19 minutes ago, Hardgraf said:

Thanks, first visit in Thailand so no other stamps in my UK passport other than first 60 day visa from Cardiff and current 30 day extension. 

Absolutely zero problem. If you have any itinerary (hotel booking etc) have it handy, but seriously you won't need it. Nice to be over prepared than under. Enjoy your stay in Thailand. Perfect weather at present. 

I would not worry unless you do this again, at which point I would switch to the train to enter. 

There is a good suggestion above to have your hotel-booking handy - if only to make it easier for the IO to input your address in their system (vs hand-written on the TM-6 form). 

Be sure and have your boarding-pass for the flight you just completed handy - that came up in a recent case. 

Also, be prepared with a good answer to the questions, "What are you doing in Thailand?" and "When are you going home?"  Probably, you will get no questions at all, given your history - but best to be prepared.  Staying out 2 full weeks is a good step in showing you are using Thailand as a hub for travel in the region.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I would not worry unless you do this again, at which point I would switch to the train to enter. 

There is a good suggestion above to have your hotel-booking handy - if only to make it easier for the IO to input your address in their system (vs hand-written on the TM-6 form). 

Be sure and have your boarding-pass for the flight you just completed handy - that came up in a recent case. 

Also, be prepared with a good answer to the questions, "What are you doing in Thailand?" and "When are you going home?"  Probably, you will get no questions at all, given your history - but best to be prepared.  Staying out 2 full weeks is a good step in showing you are using Thailand as a hub for travel in the region.

What are some other things people can show as Thailand being used as a hub for travel? Is 2 full weeks out the minimum? I'm new to the forum and not sure if this has been discussed before. Or maybe even different countries each time a person goes out for traveling/applying for a tourist visa?

Regarding hotel booking, what if someone is actually leasing a condo (whether short term or not instead of hotels/airbnb's? Having a hotel booked for 3 months isn't cheap. Will this look negative as far as the whole address/booking check as a tourist? 

Thanks in advance!

33 minutes ago, MehrK said:

What are some other things people can show as Thailand being used as a hub for travel? Is 2 full weeks out the minimum? I'm new to the forum and not sure if this has been discussed before. Or maybe even different countries each time a person goes out for traveling/applying for a tourist visa?

There is no rule regarding how many times or how much time you can spend in Thailand as a Tourist.  There is no "minimum time" law or rule of how long you need to stay away before returning.  As a result, there are no guidelines to use to meet these non-existent requirements.

Unfortunately, some IOs at the airports and the Poipet/Aranya land-crossing think additional limits should exist.  For those who have spent more time here, they have been reported to make up a "too long" time-in-Thailand number (days over years), then stamp a rejection stamp in their passport based on (usually) pretending they don't have enough money to fund their stay - refusing to even look at any documentation which would contradict that unfounded assertion.

That is very, very, unlikely to happen in your case, because you have only been in Thailand 3 months total - ever - and then stayed out 2 weeks before returning. 

But, if questioned, the key is to indicate what you plan to see on this trip, and not to indicate any desire to stay long-term, for any reason (gf, marriage, education, work, etc).  The TAT (Tourism Authority, who seem to be working at cross-purposes to immigration, in some cases) have stated a goal of travelers using Thailand as a hub for travel in the region.  Going to different countries each time helps you fit your stays into this pattern, and is also more interesting than same-day out/in trips.

Regarding hotel booking, what if someone is actually leasing a condo (whether short term or not instead of hotels/airbnb's? Having a hotel booked for 3 months isn't cheap. Will this look negative as far as the whole address/booking check as a tourist? 

Thanks in advance!

When entering at friendly entry points (all land-borders other than Poipet), I have often used a business-card for my condo as evidence of my address.  It is also acceptable as proof of where you will stay, when applying for a Tourist Visa at a Thai Consulate.  All you would need at good entry-points is 20K Baht an a valid Tourist Visa - no matter how much time you have spent in Thailand, and even if you only left Thailand 2 days before.

But when entering at a Bangkok airport, a better choice would be a Free online Hotel Booking, printed out, and included as part of your Printed Travel Itinerary - which would include places you intend to visit in Thailand on your next visit.

You will need an airline-booking to get a Visa from a Thai Consulate in KL or Singapore.  This will also be part of your itinerary, and a printout of this outgoing air-ticket should be handy to show upon entry, upon request.

Again, given your very limited history/time in Thailand, you are likely to get stamped in without a word and not need any of this documentation or the 20K Baht worth of cash - but much of this will be needed to apply for the Tourist Visa at those locations, in any case.  One might as well avoid the mistakes of someone in a recent "rejected entry at the airport" report, who told the IO they left their airline-booking printout with the Thai Consulate, and their Boarding-Pass on the airplane.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Thanks 1

As has been advised already, you won't have a problem. For rental of condo etc, sometimes smaller info provided is better. As for accomm personally I wouldn't mention I have one booked for 3 months etc. Perhaps a booking for first night for ease of showing address and from there you plan travel Thailand. As for your question about how long out of Thailand. The simple answer is more the better. 2 weeks out (as you did previously) is typical of someone travelling as a "tourist" and doubtful would be working in los

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1