Australian man jailed for brutal killing of kangaroo in filmed attack

rooster59

Australian man jailed for brutal killing of kangaroo in filmed attack

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - A 28-year-old Australian man will spend five months in prison for brutally killing a kangaroo in an attack filmed and posted on social media, ABC News reported late on Friday.

Ricky Ian Swan was one of four men charged in September with using weapons to torture and kill two kangaroos. Swan chased one of the kangaroos inflicting more than 20 stab wounds and kicking the dying animal in the head.

"You subjected this particular animal to a savage and brutal attack," ABC cited Magistrate Deen Potter as saying.

Potter also said that Swan's actions amounted to cruelty to an animal and included torture, mutilation and malicious behaviour.

"I don't know what came over me," ABC cited Swan's remarks from one of his sentencing reports. "It's disgusting. That person in the video is not me."

The Joondalup Magistrates Court in Western Australia handed Swan an immediate 12-month jail term, seven months of which were suspended. Swan previously pleaded guilty to two animal cruelty charges.

Earlier in the week, the court sentenced Swan's co-accused, a 26-year-old Perth man, to two years in prison for a series of animal cruelty offences, which the court said displayed "monstrosity", ABC reported.

According to government statistics there are about 45 million kangaroos in Australia and the number is growing rapidly, nearly doubling the human population, now at 25 million.

Most animal welfare is regulated at the state or territory level.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-08
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Yes it is. It is all you, and nobody else but you.

It is also about the meth. No excuse, in fact he should have gotten more time.

Meth is more than stupid, anyone involved should receive compulsory rehabilitation.

So after remission, he will be out again soon and craving for the meth (that he probably gets in gaol anyway)

Next time he may punch someone from behind, because make no mistake about it - this man is a coward.

Aust laws need to revolve around rehab and prevention, not just punitive gaol terms.

Anyway, that is what I think. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

It is also about the meth. No excuse, in fact he should have gotten more time.

Meth is more than stupid, anyone involved should receive compulsory rehabilitation.

So after remission, he will be out again soon and craving for the meth (that he probably gets in gaol anyway)

Next time he may punch someone from behind, because make no mistake about it - this man is a coward.

Aust laws need to revolve around rehab and prevention, not just punitive gaol terms.

Anyway, that is what I think. 

I'm a coward but I'm not going to punch anyone from behind. 

As a Canadian, I am curious as to whether the huge overpopulation of camels and kangaroos apparently degrading the environment can be humanely slaughtered in a controlled manner and the meat used for consumption either human or animal. Can any Aussie here inform me if this is ridiculous or do-able eh?

31 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

As a Canadian, I am curious as to whether the huge overpopulation of camels and kangaroos apparently degrading the environment can be humanely slaughtered in a controlled manner and the meat used for consumption either human or animal. Can any Aussie here inform me if this is ridiculous or do-able eh?

Only partially do-able.They are wild animals infested by parasites and not overly susceptible to farming and domestication.

Hence the dilemma faced by Europeans when they entered the country-the native wildlife was not really edible on a large scale.

Rabbit,deer and kangaroo meat these days comes from enclosed 'farming'

God only knows how many kangaroos and wild pigs I shot in my youth.Sickening experience,really.

At least  i tried to make it "one shot-one kill"

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

I used to shoot on my family's property (20,000 acres) up Walgett way (NSW).We all shot.

It was a fine merino sheep property.In good seasons (rain) there would be thousands of kangaroos clustered on the sweet grass near the tanks...competing,of course,for the grass and the water.

Equally there would be hundreds of wild pigs in the  scrub.

There were hundreds of wild brumbies in the hills-but no-one needed the noble horses anymore...

So we shot and shot and shot.

I used an old army SMLE .303 and when I couldn't sight anymore,I stopped.

These are brumbies-the NSW 'waler'-one of the noblest breeds of horses ever known to man..and now we shoot them.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 5:56 PM, ratcatcher said:

Kangaroos do no harm to the natural native environment. They have a unique strategy to be able to "awaken" dormant young and bring them to birth in good times. They do not eat native bushes to death, nor pull the roots out as they graze. they are wild animals and have liver flukes as a natural parasite in the wild.

As meat they are rich in protein, low in fat and taste good. Also emu.

Camels are an introduced species which does little harm other than overbreeding and taking native food from the native animals. These along with wild water buffalo and wild goat are already being harvested mostly for meat for sale overseas. Wild pigs cause massive damage to the environment. Many shooters introduce the feral animals to pristine environments in order to have sport shooting later on.

Camels are exported live to the middle east. They bring untainted dna to the stock over there. (they were introduced by Afghans and used to open up the desert regions of Australia more than 150 years ago)

If you have enough open land it is possible to raise roos and emu for meat. It is possible to get rid of fleas and liver fluke.

Not going to happen while groups such as PETA exist and cattle and sheep breeding prevails. Huge lobbies to overcome.

.There are moves to exterminate wild rabbits by use of parisites. Not a good choice for food from the wild animals.

• Thanks 1