Java Updates

meadish_sweetball

In my Add/remove programs list I have the following Java updates installed:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2 .... size 143 MB

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5 .... size 144 MB

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 .... size 145 MB

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_05 .... size 130 MB

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06 .... size 130 MB

My question is, can I remove any of these without losing functionality, and if so, which ones?

I am desperate to get some extra space on my C drive, only 532 MB remain and that does not seem to help performance. I am planning to buy another 512 megs of RAM as well, in order to avoid the ridiculously large page file I have at the moment.

Other suggestions for cleaning up the C drive? Most large programs are on the D partition already...

The latest Java runtime is all you need and using an outdated version is a security risk. Uninstall them all and get the latest from here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Something else to consider to free up some space is to reduce the amount of room System Restore uses, it is a huge amount by default.

Also try using the in-built program for this job - Start->Run and type cleanmgr in the box.

Seconded - you don't need any but the latest Java version.

Silvero, thanks for the tip about System restore - I just noticed that mine was set to use 6GB max on C:\ and 6GB max on D:\ for a total of a whopping 12GB! However, apparently only on C:\ was it really using more than 2GB. Still.. a huge amount. I now set it to 2GB/700MB. Which might still be excessive.

Any idea how much space a typical restore point uses?

System Restore has saved me a few times, dont want to miss it. But it seems I really don't need restore points more than a month old. When something doesn't work I just go back to the restore point where it did work, which is usually the one from 1 - 2 days ago...

You can always uninstall old software and reload the latest version,

using the control panel.

this is prob not the right way to do it, but here is a small 212 kb file which gives a very nice graphical rep. of the amount of disk space used. Much better than the pie chart in windows. //Removed URL//

How about the windows updates, do u think they can be removed also ?

Edited by tywais
Removed URL due to direct link to an .exe file

Ive just checked my Java version and its J2SE Runtime Environment 5 update 9, 145.00MB , on checking the Java web site

it shows the latest version as being Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 . ive also read Yeti's comments about un installing

Java ..( Go to C:\Program Files\Java delete subfolders as cache and other data may not have been removed )

ive looked at the Jave Folder & subfolders, which are..

1.Java 17.America

2. jre1.5.0_09 18. Argentia

3.bin 19.Indiana

4.client 20.Kentucky

5.lib 21. North_Dakota

6.applet 22. Antarctica

7.cmm 23.Asia

8.ext 24.Alantic

9.fonts 25.Australia

10.i386 26.Etc

11.im 27.Europe

12.images 28. Indian

13.cursors 29.Pacific

14.javaws 30. AystemV

15.zi

16.Africa

As a Computer Novice, the above Folders and Sub folders look a bit starnge, If I have to up grade to the latest Java 6, would I have to Delete

all the above folders , and remove the java programe 5 shown using the add or Remove Programs , before downloading the Latest version 6 ...?

Thanks ... Mumbo

If u want to install the latest version of Java, you use Add/Remove Programs (in Control Panel) to remove previous versions, then u go in C:\Program Files\Java and delete everything, then u download and install the most recent version.

Uninstall all version of Java.

Go to C:\Program Files\Java delete subfolders as cache and other data may not have been removed.

It's pretty stupid that java doesn't remove unnecessary data when updating...

That was a feature until not too long ago. Basically applications and Applets were able to decide which Java version they want to use so they could be tested on a specific version and then request that version.

The feature was dropped when they suddenly realized that they can never fix any security holes as long as that's enabled. If there was a security hole in, say, 1.5.3, then malicious code exploiting the hole would just be able to request that specific version, bypassing fixes that were made in later versions. Big Ooooops! :o

I am desperate to get some extra space on my C drive, only 532 MB remain and that does not seem to help performance. I am planning to buy another 512 megs of RAM as well, in order to avoid the ridiculously large page file I have at the moment.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Is the default size of the file "pagefile" directly proportional to the amount of RAM installed? I did not notice the size before I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB but now I notice that the size is 1.99 GB. So, if that's true, by adding another 512 MB ram, you'll reduce your HDD space. Is your D drive simply another partition or a second drive. Why don't you go out and buy another HDD? For me, how much ever HDD I have, it's not enough :o I have 3 HDD installed in my computer (279 + 114 + 114) still not enough :D

It's a laptop computer. I want more space on C: to be able to defragment it correctly, in order to speed up the system.

The computer came with Windows XP Pro Swedish installed, a legit version too, which is still being updated. But there is no installation CD. So if I buy a new hard drive I have a problem. I need the Swedish version of Windows XP Pro, and I can only get a legit version in Sweden. It costs an arm and a leg.

Or I could use a pirate version but then I leave myself vulnerable. This is a non-option.

So since I want to use a legit copy but dont want to pay another time for something that I have already paid for (this is how I see it, I know you can twist the argument but it won't convince me), getting a new hard drive will not be possible - except I could buy an external HDD of course. But that still does not free up much space on my C drive, which is full due to installed programs and not other files - programs I need.

Removing old Java versions should have given you some free space on C:.

If you have enough free space on another partition (or HDD) you can move your Page File there.

You can also review your Microsoft Office installation (if you have the disk) and uninstall components you don't need (Access is installed by default, but I think most users don't need it for example).

You can also move the MSOCache folder (which is by default on C:) to another partition, have a look at Microsoft instructions for this (this folder is used to update your Microsoft Office without having to insert the CD everytime, so you can't just cut and paste).

You can move your email boxes to another partition if they are on C: (your email client probably have instructions for this).

You can decrease the size of your temporary internet files folder, or move it.

You can decrease the size of the Recycle Bin.

You can empty C:\Documents and Settings\Profilename\Local Settings\Temp

If Adobe Acrobat is installed (not the Reader) it caches your search results by default, and this cache is never emptied. You can empty it manually (don't remember where it's located, but I'm sure you'll find it) and then change the preferences so that it won't store those results indefinitely anymore.

The computer came with Windows XP Pro Swedish installed, a legit version too, which is still being updated. But there is no installation CD. So if I buy a new hard drive I have a problem. I need the Swedish version of Windows XP Pro, and I can only get a legit version in Sweden. It costs an arm and a leg.

You don't have to install everything again if you buy a new hard drive. Most of the shops would be happy to "clone" your original HDD to the new one which you simply have to just install into your laptop and not worry about re-installing or re-configuring all over again.

I would be interested to compare with anyone the size of the "Windows" folder, esp with someone who has a new or clean install before updates. I have windows xp sp2

All Windows = 4165 MB

The five biggest subdirectories are:

System32 883 MB

Installer 679 MB

Service Pack Files 521 MB

$NTServicePackUninstall$ 335 MB

$hf_mig$ 338 MB

These account for 66% of all of Windows.

I also have 124 sub-directories named: $NtUninstall***. These seem to have less than a MB apiece but they certainly create a lot of clutter

Just installed Windows XP SP2 last Sunday AND installed all the updates. And have installed the following programs:

Firefox, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, Adobe Photoshop CS2 full, Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional full, ACDSee 8, VLC media player, Winamp 5.3, Microsoft Office 2003 full, Ahead Nero 7, 7zip, ISOBuster, LockFolder, WinRAR, WinZip, and ZoneAlarm.

Here's my "Windows" folder:

All Windows 2,059,165,068 bytes or 1,964 MB or 1.92 GB

The five biggest subdirectories are:

System32 674,649,332 bytes or 643 MB

SoftwareDistribution 315,386,224 bytes or 300 MB

$hf_mig$ 185,217,260 bytes or 176 MB

Internet Logs 175,250,758 bytes or 167 MB

Installer 157,120,724 bytes or 149 MB

I have 66 folders within Windows folder named $NtUninstall*** which show on clicking property: 435 files, 132 folders. Size 120,358,702 bytes or 114 MB.

All the size I quoted are the actual size not the "size on disk" which should be more.

BTW, I have NTFS file system, if this info is useful. :o