Watch uk tv with a VPN

stubuzz

I have just purchased Cyber ghost vpn to watch UK TV. After an initial trial i can see that the All 4 online doesn't work; some BBC player stuff wont load; and only some channels on the ITV hub work.

Any tips or channels i can try?

I used, and paid for Zenmate for several years, 43 Euros a year. It was good, worked most of the time for BBC,ITV & Ch4 (specifically Rachel Riley & Susie Dent on Countdown)

A couple of months ago it started going tits up and not allowing me my pleasure. Sent many many mails to Support to be told that a VPN & BBC are like a cat & mouse game and the BBC was winning.

So this week I subscribed to Express VPN, which was $100 for 12 months with a 30 day no-quibble refund if wanted. It works perfectly. For some reason I needed to go onto their site only to see that now they are giving 3 extra months ie $6.60 a month for 15 months. Onto their chat- line. They added the 3 months no problem. I now have 30, well 28 days to see if it is better than Zenmate, to which I have paid until next July. If Zenmate gets their s...t together I can cancel Express, but it does seem to work and my download speed only drops from 100Mbps to 60 whereas Zen was down to 30. However, you only need 25Mbps to stream 4K video, so what the heck.

5 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Try tvcatchup you could have saved a sub with hoola on chrome for free or kodi to your phone cast to tv ????

Hola did not work for me, it's free and you get what you pay for, and officially Kodi is illegal. Mobdro is a bit hit & miss.

I use express VPN and pay monthly.

I use it for literally everything - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc and works flawlessly. 

Once you buy the subscription, they have a chat box on the website and you can ask which VPN Server Locations unlock which content. 

I have zero doubt it will work for UK content, as long as your connection is sound to begin with. 

47 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

I use the Browsec plugin on Chrome. Channel 4 works, except for the live stream where I also have to change the time zone of my computer to the UK.

You need to change the time only for Channel 4 ?

20 hours ago, sungod said:

If you want UKTV, just buy a subscription on 'TV mucho' @ 48 euro a year.

I also think this is the best solution if you just want the basic UK channels (ie no premium channels). Why is it better?

1. You dont have to be endlessly messing about with VPN server settings and time zones etc.

2. It gives you 7 days catch up of all programmes on all included channels via a single interface, which is not possible via a VPN and the broadcasters' official players.

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I also think this is the best solution if you just want the basic UK channels (ie no premium channels). Why is it better?

1. You dont have to be endlessly messing about with VPN server settings and time zones etc.

2. It gives you 7 days catch up of all programmes on all included channels via a single interface, which is not possible via a VPN and the broadcasters' official players.

Couldn't agree more, spent a few years playing with kodi and vpns, free android apps, different websites on the pc. It was just a constant battle keeping all the stars aligned so I could watch tv. Spent a couple of thousand baht on an android box, 3 and a half quid a month on a tv mucho subscription- done!

I even subscribed for an extra screen which really cost next to nothing, no brainer in my book.

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I also think this is the best solution if you just want the basic UK channels (ie no premium channels).

I'm impressed with the TV Mucho user interface, for less than a Euro a week for 1 screen you can't go far wrong (or free if you only want an hour a day). Although I get the BBC etc via my VPN this is better.

Anyone tried it on an Android TV?

Have to wait until I get home to check it out on our Sharp Android TV. If it works well then that's 48 Euros spent.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Anyone tried it on an Android TV?

Have to wait until I get home to check it out on our Sharp Android TV. If it works well then that's 48 Euros spent.

I used it daily on my smartphone on trips outside of Thailand this year, and have also tried it on an Android box. I see no reason why it shouldn't work on an Android TV.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yeah but alot of these are standard definition rebroadcasts.

I mean whats the point of having an HD Tv or UHD or 4k if youre just gonna watch SD quality programming. 

6 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

I mean whats the point of having an HD Tv or UHD or 4k if youre just gonna watch SD quality programming. 

Everything is a compromise, but for me the trade-off is acceptable.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I see no reason why it shouldn't work on an Android TV.

That's what I thought when I bought the beast.

BBC iPlayer works, but many of the controls don't (and you have to side-load it, not in the App store). Similarly with quite a few other Apps I've tried, the Android box still works better.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang. too many comments I wanna answer.

1. If CG isn't working, ask their support if they support that channel. Also try their app on a different OS like try Windows instead of Android or vice versa

2. Is your use only limited to one channel or do you stream others as well, like BBC and its other variants like Three, Four and other?

3. Kodi is legal and is available on Play Store. If it were illegal, it wouldn't be there. It's the unofficial, open-source addons that make a certain stream illegal.

4. If CG still doesn't work, try using other VPNs and see if they get the job done. I use Ivacy for most of the Brit programming and it works flawlessly.

NordVPN is working fine here, I pay only $3.99 per month.

I see now they have a special promotion for a 3 year plan $2.99.  

NordVPN

But BBC will always be a challenge , its been like a mouse and cat game the last year.

Never a problem with ITV or C4 . With BBC you need to try different servers until you find one that is stable. NordVPN change their UK  servers almost weekly and that helps. 

Just been watching BBC iPlayer with Browsec VPN,its never been a problem,3rd year now

and they  have an offer at moment works out at $2 per month, I also am able

to watch teatime.tv without paying the ridiculous 600 THB p.m.so that's all my

UK viewing covered.

regards worgeordie 

53 minutes ago, balo said:

NordVPN is working fine here, I pay only $3.99 per month.

I see now they have a special promotion for a 3 year plan $2.99.  

NordVPN

But BBC will always be a challenge , its been like a mouse and cat game the last year.

Never a problem with ITV or C4 . With BBC you need to try different servers until you find one that is stable. NordVPN change their UK  servers almost weekly and that helps. 

There are also VPN's that have a dedicated BBC Iplayer streaming server, a dedicated Netflix - Hulu and Amazon server, no need to play around with servers as they always work from the first click and they are way cheaper than Nord

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

There are also VPN's that have a dedicated BBC Iplayer streaming server, a dedicated Netflix - Hulu and Amazon server,

Do you have a link so we can check it out , thanks. 

On 12/12/2018 at 8:46 AM, UncleTouchyFingers said:

On 12/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, KittenKong said:

Everything is a compromise, but for me the trade-off is acceptable.

I understand that many do, but I just don't want to live any more in the world of Good Enough.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I understand that many do, but I just don't want to live any more in the world of Good Enough.

Using a VPN is also a compromise as none of the official catch-up services available via VPN allow you to catch up on all programmes from all channels for the last week. TVMucho does.

What's the point of having a VPN and an UHD TV if the programmes you want to watch aren't available on official catch-up at all? Not much, as far as I can see.

Archived