Military Service Exemption?

A young Thai born lad with dual Thai/British nationality wants to join the British Army at the age of 16.

The British Army have requested documentary proof that he is not liable for service in Thailand before they will accept his application.

He has been an active member of the UK Army Cadet Force for more than three years and has achieved rank. Does anyone know if his service in the ACF might be considered as being equivalent to the Ror Dor program ?

It has also been suggested that because he broke a bone in the past that this would make him unsuitable for Thai service on medical grounds.

Any help much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, victorpeeke said:

I believe that I read that mixed Thai/Farang are Not allowed to join the Thai military. If that's true I can only believe that it's because they might not do as they're told. Surprised that the British military are unaware of this fact.

Not allowed to join only as officers. They still have to do the Thai conscription lottery in April of the year they turn 21.

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

Your best best is the UK military, I would find out exactly what the British Army mean as proof that he is not liable for Thai national service. What documents do they need? They could mean proof that he is not running away from immediate service rather than the off chance at some point in the future he may be called forward to the national service pick a ball lottery. UK recruits from a number of commonwealth countries, I'd hazard a guess and say that some of these may nave compulsory service too, so there must be a process to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Your best best is the UK military, I would find out exactly what the British Army mean as proof that he is not liable for Thai national service. What documents do they need? They could mean proof that he is not running away from immediate service rather than the off chance at some point in the future he may be called forward to the national service pick a ball lottery. UK recruits from a number of commonwealth countries, I'd hazard a guess and say that some of these may nave compulsory service too, so there must be a process to follow.

The rules differ significantly for Commonwealth rather than British passport holders although I note the residency restriction for CW applicants was relaxed a few weeks ago because MoD are so desperately short of new recruits. British Passport holders (proper ones for the purpose of this thread rather than BNO's) have no such restriction & I suspect MoD would baulk at the thought of legal action if they refused an application on such flimsy (National Service) grounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/armed-forces-to-step-up-commonwealth-recruitment 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-launches-new-strategy-to-boost-diversity-and-inclusion

Edited by evadgib

16 hours ago, maprao said:

Not allowed to join only as officers. They still have to do the Thai conscription lottery in April of the year they turn 21.

True but most will be rejected anyway by way of the lottery as was my son and the son of a Belgian friend of mine.

Black ball so no military service.

Also sons of Farangs (if they are able to join) will never get promoted.