Miss USA Under Fire for Mocking Miss Cambodia and Miss Vietnam During Miss Universe Competition

geovalin

Sarah Rose Summers, Miss USA 2018, apologized via her Instagram account on Thursday after a video went viral of her making controversial comments about Nat Rern, Miss Cambodia and H’Hen Nie, Miss Vietnam for not speaking English during the Miss Universe competition.

Summers was called out online for mocking the two other contestants on Instagram Live; of Miss Vietnam, she commented: “She’s so cute and she pretends to know so much English and then you ask her a question after having a whole conversation with her and she goes…” before going on to mime nodding and smiling. Of Rern, she said, “Poor Cambodia” while talking about her not speaking English.

read more http://time.com/5479470/miss-usa-backlash/

This ugly American should be dumped by the pageant organizers immediately.... racist airhead... and... kicked out of Thailand, as well (or charged with defaming the kingdom via the Internet, and locked up ????)... what a disgrace.

but then, isn’t this a trump contest?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Retraction and apology.

in my last posting I erroneously thought the American was having a dig at the thai contestant as well. Having reread the OP I see it was other SE Asian contestants, but not miss thai.... ergo no assault on the kingdoms reputation.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

A rather bad comment seeing that its comes from a country where less than 1/5 of inhabitants are able to speak a second language... :ohmy:  (to compare to more than 1/2 in Europe and many other countries...)

PS: And before someone refutes it, source: Forbes

I thought every American speak Spanish now? At least should, in respect I mean

Did any of you actually bother to listen to the clip? It really doesn't sound all that bad in context. I think people are overly sensitive. It was basically her relaying an amusing anecdote from Vietnam and an expression of sympathy for Cambodia.

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. I suspect people are reading things into the comment that just weren't there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phycokiller said:

I dont see the insult, I have that experience in cambodia quite often. am I supposed to not mention it?

Not when you are in the limelight and supposed to project an image that is compassionate and not condescending.  Privately nobody care if you are a closet racist or ugly person. By the way, English is not cambodia’s first language... perhaps you can brush up your Cambodian language if you are going visiting your host country. Jeez.. some people expect their host country people to bend over and speak in their language ... just because they have a few coins to rub with. 

Edited by Ctkong

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

Really? 

Yes... Asian women are less confrontational and in your face attitude brought about by good family breeding .... you don’t have to be confrontational even if you are correct. Putting others down does not make you any smarter.. good teamwork excels always ...

American culture breed confrontations and that is why their games and leisure sports are always confrontational in nature. 

6 hours ago, Monomial said:

Did any of you actually bother to listen to the clip? It really doesn't sound all that bad in context. I think people are overly sensitive. It was basically her relaying an amusing anecdote from Vietnam and an expression of sympathy for Cambodia.

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. I suspect people are reading things into the comment that just weren't there.

Amusing anecdote? I would say it is in bad taste coming from a lady representing USA.... maybe she is a product of current America.. patronizing and condescending!

8 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Yes... Asian women are less confrontational and in your face attitude brought about by good family breeding .... you don’t have to be confrontational even if you are correct. Putting others down does not make you any smarter.. good teamwork excels always ...

American culture breed confrontations and that is why their games and leisure sports are always confrontational in nature. 

Have you seen how asian women treat each other, range each other by age, weight, education, style, man, and so on. Never seen anyone been som judging and mean from first second, even before they got to know each other. Not even to speak when they know each other,and been friends, best friends, enemy, best friends, and so on

Maybe she like copied like this to like get out of  like talking to  like  an American.

Akie Abe, first lady of Japan and wife of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, has spoken English many times in public, fluently, with only the slightest accent.

And yet, last week at the G20 summit in Germany, when the opera performance ended, Trump says she was seated next to him for dinner and simply sat in silence, rather than endure the presidential chit chat.

She appears to have pretended not to speak English, pulling off one of the greatest tricks in the history of dinner diplomacy.

“So, I was seated next to the wife of Prime Minister Abe, who I think is a terrific guy, and she’s a terrific woman, but doesn’t speak English,” Trump told reporter Maggie Haberman.

“Like, nothing, right? Like zero?” Haberman asked.

“Like, not ‘hello,’” said Trump.