Cholestrol

elliss

Please could you advise me on what is available over the counter in Thailand, to control my Cholestrol levels.

Something similar to Atorvastatin,   Would i need to visit a doctor to have these meds .    

You may be able to do quite a bit of control with will power and being aware of what you are eating if that is the cause of high levels.  Best to be under a doctors care as all drugs can have adverse effects which should be looked for.  Doctors visit, even if in hospital, is not that expensive here - just buy medications elsewhere.  Simvastatin is probably the most used inexpensive medication for lipid control and Bestatin brand is normally available at any drug store. 

Be aware that most pharmacies do not have a qualified pharmacist on duty so often not a good place to get medical advice.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I think you would be out of your mind to take medicines without consulting a doctor. Unless of course you happen to be a doctor yourself.

FYI ,  I  take Atorvastatin on persciption from my GP in UK .

My supply is low , that is why i seek advice on this forum ,  thank you.

Yesterday I bought Atorvastatin from Fascino, a big Pharmacy in North Pattaya, with no paperwork.  Hope this helps.

i am also from the UK where it was prescribed by my GP.

5 minutes ago, elliss said:

7 minutes ago, elliss said:

Why didnt you say so in the first place? You would have got more applicable answers much sooner.

You can buy statins over the counter here. No prescription required. A generic version will be cheaper than a brand name. Be aware that pharmacies do not all charge the same prices for the same things here, and that hospital pharmacies can be many times more expensive than other ones.

As above, you can buy atorvastatin over the counter without prescription here.

Locally made brand is Chlovas. Other brands are imported and very expensive.

Even the Chlovas is not cheap (over 20 baht per tablet).

If you will be here long term you should ask your doctor if you can switch to Simvastatin as that is much less expensive.

One warning is that Chlovas AFAIK is only available in 40mg size - and cutting to make 20mg does not pass the no or good taste test (although I lived with it for a period).  If you take 40mg no problem and a good savings over Lipitor.  

Archived