Navy training chief dies in triathlon from massive heart attack

webfact

Navy training chief dies in triathlon from massive heart attack

By The Nation

da70091c25bacf2df50a17f648846a71.jpeg

A Navy officer died while participating in his force’s triathlon competition on Sunday.

ebb609d504ad134d0ab487bdfaa4c99b.jpeg

Commander Sompan Meethong, 56, was the contestant No 1383 when he suffered an acute heart attack during a 1,500-metre-long swim.

He drowned before anyone could rescue him. 

20b0137bd86a41766300d967e03039c4.jpeg

The swim was the first section of the triathlon, which also included a 40-kilometre bike ride and a 10-km run. 

Held at the Royal Thai Fleet’s compound in Chon Buri’s Sattahip district, the contest aimed to encourage Navy staff and others to exercise regularly and stay physically fit. It also identified talented athletes for the Navy and the nation. 

bb72d0c0e6ec5bc5acda1987888b4ee8.jpeg

The Navy’s chief Admiral Luechai Ruddit expressed condolences over the death of Sompan, but insisted the competition should go ahead. 

Working as the chief of a training unit under the Navy, Sompan passed a health check last month.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360501

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-17

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Very sad - passed a health check and in one month dies from a massive heart attack. RIP and condolences to his family.

There are health checks that are for normal people. And there are health checks for 56 year olds heading out for a triathlon. So many variables here. If there is a lesson for us older guys it is if you are going to do something as grueling as a marathon or a triathlon or something like that, get a trainer and have yourself checked out properly, such as a heart stress check and have the corona checked if there is any family history.

well there are a lot of worse ways to go,at least it was quick. Both i and my sister suffer from irregular heart beats,arrithmeya i think they call it,some times it misses a beat or speeds up and beats really quick,we were both told this increased our risk of heart attack,i am not worried a lot better than a lingering demise in pain,just hope it happens when i am deep asleep.

5 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

well there are a lot of worse ways to go,at least it was quick. Both i and my sister suffer from irregular heart beats,arrithmeya i think they call it,some times it misses a beat or speeds up and beats really quick,we were both told this increased our risk of heart attack,i am not worried a lot better than a lingering demise in pain,just hope it happens when i am deep asleep.

Pacemaker not an option?

You should always check your heart , young athletes or old to reveal any problems.  Easy to do here in Thailand.  A friend of a friend died running a 10k mini marathon back in Norway many years ago. He was in good shape and in his early 60's. But his heart suddenly stopped and there was no time to rescue him . 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:57 AM, Galactus said:

RIP.

just wondering what is a 'massive heart attack' though?

A mild heart attack affects a smaller area of the heart and typically doesn’t lead to too much permanent damage. Regardless, even a mild heart attack is still a medical emergency and without proper treatment, there is a higher risk of a more serious heart attack occurring in the future.

A massive heart attack affects a larger portion of the heart, contributing to greater damage. A massive heart attack can lead to collapse, cardiac arrest, rapid death, or permanent heart damage.

Archived