Can I move to Australia?

On 12/18/2018 at 12:14 AM, fruitman said:

My wife's collegue went to Australia, worked in brisbane in a thai restaurant and few months later was the owner of it..she married the boss and is Ozzy now i believe.

Didn't see her for some years now. If you look good everything is easy.

Her name wasn't Sim, was it? :cheesy:

If you are over 45 you can rule out the skilled migration route.

There might be investment visa categories, but they are generally big bucks and require the establishement of a viable business. If the business tanks, then you are out. Also, being over 45 again the paths to permanent residency are limited.

The retirement visa was cancelled many years back, so I suspect your options may be limited.

Having left Sydney Australia 3 years ago to retire here in Thailand, and have had a business (low overheads) working from home, I would suggest you rethink your plans.

I say that because I know the restaurant gig is a tough one to say the least, rent, licences, insurances, staff, wages, sick leave, holiday leave, maternity leave, superannuation contributions, etc, etc, etc, I say all this because I have friends in businesses who are saying they would make the same if they went and worked for someone else, except for one who has a very successful business with 3 partners, has been in the game for a long time, purchased an existing successful family business which was owned by the same family for 25 years and the one before that agan 25 years and is in a prime spot, but had to buy the freehold and business, so it would 3 x what you are talking in assets, that said, they are milking the cow so to speak and they all work the business which reduces the staff count, although they still employ casual staff.

We are basically the same age, and are not going to love for ever, so why not think about semi-retiring, with that kind of money you could easily set up a number of businesses from home, internet type business, etc, etc, where you don't need staff, rent and the like which will take at least 50% of your profit, so more to you.

As for choosing where to live, well that all depends on your situation, 3rd world country, near beaches, I'm there.