Britain's Labour will try to force parliament Brexit vote

webfact

Britain's Labour will try to force parliament Brexit vote

2018-12-16T105139Z_1_LYNXMPEEBF08O_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-(1).jpg

An anti-Brexit demonstrator wears a Union flag decorated with the stars of the EU flag opposite the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain, December 12, 2018. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's main opposition Labour Party will do all it can to force the government to bring a vote on Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal to parliament next week, its election coordinator Andrew Gwynne said on Sunday.

Gwynne, who is Labour’s policy chief for communities and local government, told the BBC's Andrew Marr show: "We will be using whatever mechanisms we have at our disposal next week to try and force the government to bring forward that deal for a vote before Christmas."

He did not offer any detail how Labour would try to force the government to bring the vote forward.

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Mark Potter)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-17

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do wish Blair would get back in his cage. He should be in jail for starting an illegal war.

Go Corbyn.....let's have Labour and Tory rebels joining forces to bring down this lousy deal, and May and her government of incompetent traitors to the citizens of the UK.

Let's have a proper exit....let's just leave....no deal, let's trade under WTO rules (average tariff 3.3%....and if you cannot handle that then take a closer look at your business model as your products are not good enough value).

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I do wish Blair would get back in his cage. He should be in jail for starting an illegal war.

Go Corbyn.....let's have Labour and Tory rebels joining forces to bring down this lousy deal, and May and her government of incompetent traitors to the citizens of the UK.

Let's have a proper exit....let's just leave....no deal, let's trade under WTO rules (average tariff 3.3%....and if you cannot handle that then take a closer look at your business model as your products are not good enough value).

Who are you going to trade with? With the British colonies all gone you can no longer expropriate their raw materials and sell them shoddy consumer goods.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think they should have a peoples vote as to whether or not to have a referendum! ????

Might not be too ridiculous an idea according to latest reports.  There is talk of having a series of votes over the options.  Not sure if that is for parliament or the people.  Beggars belief!

To resolve all of this we have to agree on a way forward and we can't even do that.

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

The good old WTO rules.

Our current EU membership means 0% tariffs.  WTO tariffs on cars is 10%.  On shoes it is 12% and on beef it is a staggering 90%.  Still we can gloss over that can't we.

23 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Might not be too ridiculous an idea according to latest reports.  There is talk of having a series of votes over the options.  Not sure if that is for parliament or the people.  Beggars belief!

To resolve all of this we have to agree on a way forward and we can't even do that.

Looking at the referendum result that's hardly surprising. If everyone could agree to accept and act on the referendum result that might be a good starting point.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think they should have a peoples vote as to whether or not to have a referendum! ????

good idea to have a referendum to see if we need a peoples vote, then if that comes up trumps, we have another referendum to see if we should leave the EU

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I agree leave meant leave no deal just WTO rules, sign the petition below.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963

9 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Good. Stop this chewing gum and make a decision. Enough time and resources have been wasted by kicking the can down the road. 

I agree, but from a different perspective.

It's time for the electorate to know whether their MPs support their decision.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Hardly suprising, as the "way forward" is to genuinely leave - but politicians are determined that this will not happen.....!

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I read the article in your link. I absolutely agree with this observation:

“Despite it all, the public trusts Mr Corbyn with Brexit even less than it trusts Mrs May.

The endless ducking and diving about when they might call a no-confidence vote against the government makes Labour look like opportunists desperately hoping to luck into office on the back of Brexit turmoil rather than a party with the national interest at heart.”

The rest of the article was rubbish. He disparages those politicians pushing for Brexit as "Brexit ultras...who put the ass in assassin" and as "political arsonists" and states incorrectly that they "have always been a minority of a minority and now no one can be in any doubt about that."

What? Fact is that 117 Tories have No Confidence in their leader, a much greater number than anyone anticipated. The majority of Tory backbenchers oppose her. The vote gave a very clear and significant signal that there are many party members who are prepared to stand against the PM and for the will of the people as expressed in the referendum.

Archived