Playing tricks on the handicapped! BTS walkway slammed

webfact

Playing tricks on the handicapped! BTS walkway slammed

7pm.jpg

Facebook Ahmed Al-Sharif

Pictures of handicap access to a lift at Sai Luat station in Samut Prakarn are going viral online. 

The snaps show a veritable obstacle course for an able bodied person let alone someone in a wheelchair. 

They were posted by "Ahmed Al-Sharif" on "Hey! These are Thailand's footpaths" who asked "How on earth did this happen?".

Thai Rath picked up on the online furor suggesting in their headline that someone was playing tricks on the handicapped. 

They quoted a Facebook user called Pakpoom Pattanapanyasat as saying: "Clearly the designer never went there, and the constructors never spoke to the designer". 

Others suggested possible fixes to the problem. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-18

2.jpg

Facebook Ahmed Al-Sharif

7pm1.jpg

Facebook Ahmed Al-Sharif

1.jpg

Facebook Ahmed Al-Sharif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Well what do you expect?

In this country if you are in a wheelchair you should stay home hidden away from public gaze.

This is just another example of brain -dead designers not having a clue, and dont really care.

Just look at some of the disabled ramps at government buildings totally unusable by wheelchair users.

Yes. I made the mistake of complaining to an IO at Aranya when they would not let me back into Thailand the same day, which had been no problem on several previous trips.... paid 200 baht "fine" and in/out.
Now I was separated from my wife and my medication, with possible fatal consequences.
The IOs response was " Maybe you should go back to country you came from". Seems to be a not uncommon Asian attitude to disabled folks, in my experience. "Stay home and die as quickly as you can, please."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Well what do you expect?

In this country if you are in a wheelchair you should stay home hidden away from public gaze.

This is just another example of brain -dead designers not having a clue, and dont really care.

Just look at some of the disabled ramps at government buildings totally unusable by wheelchair users.

Very true. I see people in wheelchairs and other mobility devices out and about in Tokyo all the time. It's almost like handicapped people don't exist in Thailand. What a difference there is between a developed country vs a developing country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, samsensam said:

a thai educated, professional middle class acquaintance once said to me that she believed disabled people were those who had done something wrong in a previous life. i'm not sure how widely held such views are but the disabled are certainly not much of a concern for thai society.

Agree, there are plenty of folks who have this thinking and plenty who are quite young.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well what do you expect?

Have you seen the ramp at Poipet? Leaving Thailand to get upstairs to stamp out is bad enough. It must be 45 degrees. ????????

• Haha 1

I don't suppose the workers building it ,ever thought this is not going to work,

just get on with the job and follow the plans .it could have been built for half

the cost if the ramp just came straight from and to the lift.somebody should get the

sack for this but of cause they wont,

regards worgeordie

30 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I don't suppose the workers building it ,ever thought this is not going to work,

just get on with the job and follow the plans .it could have been built for half

the cost if the ramp just came straight from and to the lift.somebody should get the

sack for this but of cause they wont,

regards worgeordie

Nobody gets the sack. Government doesn't sack anyone unless it is a criminal offence. The bad guy gets transfer to other district.  Can someone verify this. May be it is true.

45 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If I had a dollar for every time the civils chaps have said "it was like that on the drawing" I'd have a few hundred bucks.

Even back home it's little different ????

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

The planning was so intense that smoke came out their ears, ... which then obscured the plans. 

After all, as someone said here in TV long before I did, the P in Thailand stands for Planning.

• Haha 1

Something very similar is currently being constructed on Sukhamvit Road at Pattaya.  The lift to take disabled people up to the walkway across the road is so wide it take up the whole path.  Anybody wishing to continue past it (on foot or in a wheelchair) has to go in the road !

As long as the designers, architects, planners and constructors all get paid then it is job done.