Famous Thai actor takes aim at rip-off red buses in Chiang Mai

webfact

Famous Thai actor takes aim at rip-off red buses in Chiang Mai

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The infamous red buses or song thaews of Chiang Mai have been slammed as a rip-off by a famous Thai actor. 

"Guy" Ratchanont Suprakob went on his Instagram account with a video of himself walking in the northern Thai capital. 

He said he was mindful that he shouldn't be using Grab in that area so he had asked a red bus driver how much for a one kilometer ride - the answer was a hefty 600 baht. 

"I wasn't paying that," said Guy who decided to walk. 

The driver was banging on about it being high season, a notion dismissed by the actor who said that Grab would have charged him 52 baht for the same short journey. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-19

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who in the world gets a cab to go 1 Km?

Didn't you get the bit that he's an actor and actors don't walk he they can ride.. having said that, those red buses, and similar ones around Thailand, are a cartel and a mafia for all intents and purpessusses and nobody dare touch them...

Just now, ezzra said:

Didn't you get the bit that he's an actor and actors don't walk he they can ride.. having said that, those red buses, and similar ones around Thailand, are a cartel and a mafia for all intents and purpessusses and nobody dare touch them...

Red cab driver probably recognised him and thought 'he's rich'.

Nope. I don't buy this story. I've ridden those extensively in CM and the most I ever was asked (excluding airport runs) was 150 baht, from Ninmann to Night Bazaar, some 6 km, on a very busy rainy Friday night. I passed and found another for 60 baht.

CM red truck drivers are almost all very friendly and fair.

They seem to charge falang 30 and locals 20, which is mildly annoying; and they will often start at 60 or 80 but easily come down to 40 (which is peanuts anyway).

I so prefer negotiating with the red trucks to tuk tuks, as they are in a hurry and it happens fast, and they start so much lower, and have positive attitudes. 

I don't like the air quality on the ride tho, which is a good argument for Grab.

Grab is alive and well, and perfectly legal, in CM btw. Which is another question mark of this story.

600 baht for 1 km? Bogus.

Seems a very odd story. I had friends up from Nakon Sawan last week and they paid 130 Baht for four people in a Red Bus to come almost 3 klicks across town.  Grab on the way back as no Red Buses in the area where they were and it was just 75 Baht.

I don't believe this blokes story, just attention seeking wannabe !

5 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Nope. I don't buy this story. I've ridden those extensively in CM and the most I ever was asked (excluding airport runs) was 150 baht, from Ninmann to Night Bazaar, some 6 km, on a very busy rainy Friday night. I passed and found another for 60 baht.

CM red truck drivers are almost all very friendly and fair.

They seem to charge falang 30 and locals 20, which is mildly annoying; and they will often start at 60 or 80 but easily come down to 40 (which is peanuts anyway).

I so prefer negotiating with the red trucks to tuk tuks, as they are in a hurry and it happens fast, and they start so much lower, and have positive attitudes. 

I don't like the air quality on the ride tho, which is a good argument for Grab.

Grab is alive and well, and perfectly legal, in CM btw. Which is another question mark of this story.

600 baht for 1 km? Bogus.

I never ask them the price and I give them 20 at the end.  They never say anything.  I have taken one sometimes about midnight and then they tell me the price 40-60, just to go down Chiang Moi Road.  That's OK with me.  They nearly always wait until they see me disappear down the soi before they move on.  Sweet!

This is a load of crap. There are signs in both Thai and English posting the fare as 30 baht. As someone pointed out before, all the locals pay 20 baht, myself included, and that will take you anywhere across town.

If you want him to go to a particular address, then that's a different matter.

red.png

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he was mindful that he shouldn't be using Grab in that area so he had asked a red bus driver how much for a one kilometer ride - the answer was a hefty 600 baht. 

I'll simply call BS on that.  The 30 THB price is clearly marked on the red songtaews.  I often take them to get around locally in CM when I don't feel like driving.  The conversation is generally as simple as "Can you go to ______?"  If no, you wait for another songtaew.  If yes you get in.  At the end of your ride you get out and hand the driver 30 THB.  Whatever driver told the actor the ride was 600 THB probably didn't want to deal with someone who may have been coming across as a jerk in the first place.

Archived