Swapping passports at border, double nationality

Hi,

Im the holder of 2 passports. The passport im currently on is full of Thai TV, and will expire in 1 year. The second passport (different nationality) is brand new. Im planning a trip to Vientiane next month. Have any of you tried entering Lao via friendship bridge with a different passport than the one you exited with from Thailand?

I had no problem doing this (swapping passorts) when i flew from Thailand to KL a few years ago. But i might have read something in the past saying it was an issue doing this while entering Lao, for some reason.

Thanks!

Thanks for your responses

Mm..ok..seems like im going to have to just get a 30 day exempt this time as my flight to Udon Thani is already booked..and Seeing how Vientiane is getting stricter..im guessing they wont issue me another TV eventhough i dont have the “red stamp” (4 TV from there already on this passport).

Could i swap passport if i were to fly directly to Vientiane?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3stan said:

Could i swap passport if i were to fly directly to Vientiane?

I have see a report or 2 about Lao immigration checking for departure stamps and the person having to use their other passport. It is hard to predict what they will do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have see a report or 2 about Lao immigration checking for departure stamps and the person having to use their other passport. It is hard to predict what they will do.

Better when he flies back?

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

So fly back from Laos for a VE in the new passport.. Then do a land border run and get a TV next time....

A bit comlicated to do that..because i will probably just do an in and out at the border..rather than go to Vientiane. THanks for the suggestion anyways.

1 hour ago, 3stan said:

A bit comlicated to do that..because i will probably just do an in and out at the border..rather than go to Vientiane. THanks for the suggestion anyways.

Just remember you can't swap PPs at a land border, so make sure you have enough space for Laos visas both this time AND NEXT TIME (if they won't let you change PPs flying into Laos). 

Depending on the free space in your current PP, I'd fly into Laos, swap PPs on your way back with a VE, & then get your TV next time you cross into Laos.

edit... OK, I forget Vientiane is not too convenient from a land crossing....and your flight to UT is already booked.  GL anyway.

Edited by steve73
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, steve73 said:

Just remember you can't swap PPs at a land border, so make sure you have enough space for Laos visas both this time AND NEXT TIME (if they won't let you change PPs flying into Laos). 

Depending on the free space in your current PP, I'd fly into Laos, swap PPs on your way back with a VE, & then get your TV next time you cross into Laos.

edit... OK, I forget Vientiane is not too convenient from a land crossing....and your flight to UT is already booked.  GL anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the passport pages possible issue. I just checked and have 4 pages left. So i am good for 2 more visa exempt (including lao visas).

Its hard for me to understand why, and if its even "legal", that they would deny me entry in a country if my old passport was full, and i had a brand new passport (albeit from a different country) to present them...

I will fly to KL next time and swap passport there on entry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I would give it a shot :It's probably a grey area where even the IOs not sure what to do; so it would be up to the discretion of the particular officer. The offer of the 'payment' of any fees might help. 

Yea, i might...worse that could happen is that i have to write the form again using my other (old) passport, if they wont proceed.

• 3 weeks later...