Can I Geta Job ?

So I'm moving back to Thailand soon but will need some source of extra income. I'm 23, white American, 6'1, look good & good shape. I was planning on doing one or all three of the following, if possible: teach english, model, muay thai. I have no degree, but a HS diploma & soon a TEFL certificate. Does this sound sufficient enough to support myself legally in bkk ? I'll do w/e, as long as there's no risk of prison. :o

So I'm moving back to Thailand soon but will need some source of extra income. I'm 23, white American, 6'1, look good & good shape.

There are some "mens clubs" advertising in the Post.

I don't know what you mean by this "mens club", but I'm not gay.

So I'm moving back to Thailand soon but will need some source of extra income. I'm 23, white American, 6'1, look good & good shape. I was planning on doing one or all three of the following, if possible: teach english, model, muay thai. I have no degree, but a HS diploma & soon a TEFL certificate. Does this sound sufficient enough to support myself legally in bkk ? I'll do w/e, as long as there's no risk of prison. :o

ALRIGHT MAN!

well iam in the same situation as you...i thaibox and i am wanting to move there to do it

full-time..i work as a tree climber, but i am planning to move to thailand to train full-time..but need to wotk there also..i am 24, for Glasgow ,Scotland

I am teeling you this because i am going by myself ..and i am looking for a travel partner..who is inot thiaboxing also....another thing..they have thaiboxing camps there that supply accomodation, teach you full-time , bed and breakfast thing in phuket..they charge about 3000 u,s dollars for 6 months training and accomodation

reply if you are looking for another martila artist to join you

peace ,

Martyn

So I'm moving back to Thailand soon but will need some source of extra income. I'm 23, white American, 6'1, look good & good shape.

There are some "mens clubs" advertising in the Post.

I don't know what you mean by this "mens club", but I'm not gay.

As far as i know all 'mens clubs' are in Pattaya. Sure they'll cater to your needs :o

Wednesday February 21, 2007

As economy fizzles, job prospects dim

A drop in both economic growth and the employment intensity of that growth has dimmed job prospects in Thailand, says a report by the United Nations Development Programme and the International Labour Organisation (ILO). Indonesia shares a similar plight, said the report which studied the situation in Cambodia, China, India, Malaysia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.

Except for Malaysia, ''all the Asian countries studied experienced inadequate employment growth, and the problem has got worse in recent years'', said the ILO statement.

''This has been major factor in weakening the impact of economic growth on the earnings of the poor and in making growth less poverty-alleviating than it might have been.''

The causes of inadequate employment growth vary, the report says.

''In China and India, the two largest developing countries, the sharp fall in the employment intensity of growth has been the problem,'' said the ILO.

''In Indonesia and Thailand, the cause was both a reduction in employment intensity and a reduction in the rate of growth. In Cambodia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka the poor employment performance was, by and large, due to inadequate growth or growth bypassing the large sectors where poor workers are concentrated,'' the ILO said.

The study, titled ''Asian Experience on Growth, Employment and Poverty'', focuses on the employment intensity of economic growth as a means of poverty reduction and provides insights into why job growth is declining in some fast-growing Asian economies.

Edited by bingobongo

ALRIGHT MAN!

well iam in the same situation as you...i thaibox and i am wanting to move there to do it

full-time..i work as a tree climber, but i am planning to move to thailand to train full-time..but need to wotk there also..i am 24, for Glasgow ,Scotland

I am teeling you this because i am going by myself ..and i am looking for a travel partner..who is inot thiaboxing also....another thing..they have thaiboxing camps there that supply accomodation, teach you full-time , bed and breakfast thing in phuket..they charge about 3000 u,s dollars for 6 months training and accomodation

for another martila artist to join you

peace ,

Martyn

Yeah, I'd love it if I could train muay thai full-time, but I don't think this is a realistic option, only something to do on the side as much as possible. If you know how I can get paid to fight, then please share, otherwise it looks like I'll be teaching english & maybe a lil' modelin'. Tell ya what, drop me your Email or w/e and we'll see what's up. I'll be in either bkk, pattaya or phuket in a couple months.

The fast answer is .... no ... get in school and get a real degree.

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time on my side right now. I have considered earning a degree online though, like I'm doing with this TEFL, but it would have to wait.

Wednesday February 21, 2007

As economy fizzles, job prospects dim

A drop in both economic growth and the employment intensity of that growth has dimmed job prospects in Thailand, says a report by the United Nations Development Programme and the International Labour Organisation (ILO). Indonesia shares a similar plight, said the report which studied the situation in Cambodia, China, India, Malaysia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.

Except for Malaysia, ''all the Asian countries studied experienced inadequate employment growth, and the problem has got worse in recent years'', said the ILO statement.

''This has been major factor in weakening the impact of economic growth on the earnings of the poor and in making growth less poverty-alleviating than it might have been.''

The causes of inadequate employment growth vary, the report says.

''In China and India, the two largest developing countries, the sharp fall in the employment intensity of growth has been the problem,'' said the ILO.

''In Indonesia and Thailand, the cause was both a reduction in employment intensity and a reduction in the rate of growth. In Cambodia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka the poor employment performance was, by and large, due to inadequate growth or growth bypassing the large sectors where poor workers are concentrated,'' the ILO said.

The study, titled ''Asian Experience on Growth, Employment and Poverty'', focuses on the employment intensity of economic growth as a means of poverty reduction and provides insights into why job growth is declining in some fast-growing Asian economies.

<deleted> ? What does this have to do with me ? Please reply in your own words.

The fast answer is .... no ... get in school and get a real degree.

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time on my side right now. I have considered earning a degree online though, like I'm doing with this TEFL, but it would have to wait.

Don't have time? Unless you are dying or something, then it is worth the investment. The odds of you getting a work permit for manual/clerical work are next to zero. They are more or less protected by one regulation or another. So that leaves you teaching (which can be well paid if you have a degree and land a job at a 'proper' international school), or something else.

The average white collar employer here views an undergrad degree as barely sufficient these days. Masters and upwards are pretty standard. If you want to stay in Thailand long term, save for retirement, pay for health care etc etc...your current arsenal of skills and education is unlikely to get you far. Speaking Thai fluently always helps.

The other alternative is opening your own business. As an American, I beleive there are some provisions in the Thai-US amity treaty which may benefit you. So all you need for that is a good idea, capital to invest, and lots of hard work --> and cross your fingers that there isn't someone else doing it better and cheaper than you.

Samran, i fear your words of wisdom are wasted here. Some people - the young generally - hear only what they want to hear. Let him come and find out for himself.

hey, I know. But banging my head against walls is a favourite pass ime of mine. It also pays well, so as Marika from the comedy company used to say "I no complain"

You are a little over the ideal height for modelling, but still ok; be honest with yourself; if you are good enough to model in USA, then you will be able to make some decent money here; chances are you probably are not good enough to make serious money modelling, but it could be a good sideline.

Note that for this, you will be 'competing' i.e. casting against 'proper' models as far as models here are proper, i mean people who know how to pose, who know how to get work, to cast, have comp cards and do that full time. You have the height for catwalk, not sure about the build without seeing you/knowing more; that used to be profitable until all the illegals (similar to yourself :-)) came in with no work permits and started working for minimal money and not paying tax then destroyed the market here; now modelling you would be hard pressed to earn more than 50,000b a month doing it pretty much full time. And I doubt there are even that many models earning this much.

Modelling, at least for me when I did it, would have made serious muay Thai training impossible; the castings mean you would miss many afternoon sessions and the work assuming you got some would interfere with whole days of training. If you would be happy with say 10,000b a month to cover an apartment and training cost, then that would be more acheiveable; thing about modelling is you will have to cast say 10 days to get 1-2 days of work. The idea of doing it just on the side rapidly takes over and soon you will be going to model nights, drinking, partying, and in no time the Muay Thai training will go down the hill.

I sincerely doubt you'll get paid to fight until you are a decent standard; by that I mean something like a Shane Choppa Chapman type standard where he would be earning decent money. For sure, you'll earn money if you can get good here, then return back to wherever you are from and work as a trainer/fighter, assuming you have talent.

A guy I used to spar/train with back in NZ called Ray Sefo and another called Jayson Vamoa they both did this successfully; they got good then gave up careers in other things to focus on Muay Thai and a thing called K1 nowadays. They were both pretty talented/smart guys; both have degrees incidentally. However, they didn't get good training here; there were Thai trainers in NZ that got them pretty good and then they took it from there; at cruiser weight and above, the benefits you get here would be less than say at welter/middle weight; that said the benefits would be far more than most of the rest of the world.

How you reached 22 without a degree in USA I don't know. But I strongly recommend you work on it now; get a simple degree then the world will be your oyster. Anyone who tells you you don't need a degree probably doesn't have one; it opens your eyes up to the world, and for teaching or doing business here, people care. Actually, I worked in USA, people care there too.

If you want to relegate yourself to the stereo typical engrish teacher life of 30,000b a month, two beer budget at Nana Plaza, one dodgy girlfriend, one studio apartment in Onnut, 8 hours a week allowance to complain on thaivisa/ajarn/bkktonite.com then go for it. You can forget about any serious Muay Thai training.

If you are serious about Muay Thai, I recommend 3 month camp at a serious Muay Thai gym, live there, train hard, stay focused and learn a bit of Thai on the way. You will be too knackered to do much during the day if you are training properly. If you have talent, then go back home, win some titles, and continue your education with a camp during the spring/summer breaks over here from time to time.

Then...after you have your degree cosider coming here.

Of course, you will probably ignore everything I have said, even though unlike Samran and Bendix, I am incredibly smart from my degree (almost plural); I did Muay Thai and I was a top model here. They were only incredibly smart from their degrees, but since they didn't do the others, they are relegated to saying:

'I coulda been a contender guy22. I coulda been somebody. It was you SteveRomagnino, it was you dat told me to just come over here and not get a degree, and dat is why I is teachin engrish a Siam Compuda for 25,000b a month'.

Yeah, I'd love it if I could train muay thai full-time, but I don't think this is a realistic option, only something to do on the side as much as possible. If you know how I can get paid to fight, then please share, otherwise it looks like I'll be teaching english & maybe a lil' modelin'. Tell ya what, drop me your Email or w/e and we'll see what's up. I'll be in either bkk, pattaya or phuket in a couple months.

Just a story I'd relate to you.

I met a Thai guy last night on my way to the gym. He was a champion muay thai fighter, 200 competition fights to his name. He was in his 50's but looked not a day over 40. Proud as punch about his achivements, we talked about what he did. I asked him, why don't you teach? He said no money in it.

Who was he?

My Taxi driver.

If you are serious about looking for a job in Thailand, here's a link which you might find helpful. I have a look through the positions once a week and I am on the mailing list for 2 others, so far without success. I guess I will have to wait for retirement.

I have a Bachelor's degree but the most I have been offered in my partner's Issan village is 12,000 baht a month teaching English at the government school. Probably get a lot more in BKK but I want to live in the countryside.

Peter

Of course, you will probably ignore everything I have said, even though unlike Samran and Bendix, I am incredibly smart from my degree (almost plural); I did Muay Thai and I was a top model here. They were only incredibly smart from their degrees, but since they didn't do the others, they are relegated to saying:

'I coulda been a contender guy22. I coulda been somebody. It was you SteveRomagnino, it was you dat told me to just come over here and not get a degree, and dat is why I is teachin engrish a Siam Compuda for 25,000b a month'.

Brain over braun steve....

Bendix and I have a much higher level of shofishticashion than you. Sen Guay Jup level connections also helps....not afraid of admiting that in my case.

Bendix and I have a much higher level of shofishticashion than you. Sen Guay Jup level connections also helps....not afraid of admiting that in my case.

I only have the gao lao so I guess that is why i must rely on my semi rippling biceps and luvly jublies for work.

You can admit whatever you want; we all know the key to your success was putting some of your deliverables into phase 2, and some into phase 1. :-)

I only have the gao lao so I guess that is why i must rely on my semi rippling biceps and luvly jublies for work.

You can admit whatever you want; we all know the key to your success was putting some of your deliverables into phase 2, and some into phase 1. :-)

my dashing good looks and the insistence on looking at Q208 as a reasonable time frame to start thinking about the tough issues is key.

my dashing good looks and the insistence on looking at Q208 as a reasonable time frame to start thinking about the tough issues is key.

Well that certainly is quadrant 2 not urgent but important.

Caesar:

We who are about to brainstorm, salute you

we both know it is all about downstream work my friend....down stream work.

row, row, row your boat.......

.... The odds of you getting a work permit for manual/clerical work are next to zero.....

Actually Samran;

I am looking at the list now, manual work is the first prohibited occuapation and Number 38 is Office or secreterial work, so I think the chance of a Work Permit in those areas would be less than zero.

.... The odds of you getting a work permit for manual/clerical work are next to zero.....

Actually Samran;

I am looking at the list now, manual work is the first prohibited occuapation and Number 38 is Office or secreterial work, so I think the chance of a Work Permit in those areas would be less than zero.

Mate, you might be right there. I'm just naturally a 'the glass is half full' type of a bloke, as you know.

I'm short, ugly early 30's but speak passable Thai, and chances for me?

yes.

There is a heavy demand for short ugly non Thais here.

If you were taller, it would be problematic, but ever since the Magento Line was established, and the government had that 1960s PR campaign 'Dtua dtea, kon mai chai dtua heea' it seems like the less tall have had a blessed existance here.

The fact you speak passable Thai is a considerable asset. Khun kit hen yang rai bahng ruang garn budibut ngarn gio klong kwarm soong korng sungkom Thai. Kwarm soong por piang

I'm not really looking to get rich or live like a king, although it'd be nice, but merely to survive & live comfortably with decent food & accommodation. I'm not real big on drinking or wasting money, but I'd definitely want to join a gym or muay thai camp. I could probably get my hands on about $30+gs if I knew anything about starting a successful small business, but I think I'd be better off with teaching or trying my hand at modelin' & fighting. I'm not real comfortable with the idea of investing alot of money, unless I know I have 100% ownership & no risk of losing it. Earning a degree before going to Thailand simply isn't an option for me. I don't have the time to just chill here another 2-4 years, I only have maybe a couple months to work with, so I have to make the best out of it in the meantime.

Get rich or live like a king??? You are really far away from any of these. I think if you'll manage to LIVE (that means having a roof on your top and something to eat) as a foreigner in Thailand WITHOUT a degree would be amazing. Wake up and get a real degree, start a career wherever you are now, make some money and sleep on it