How To Open A Bank Account (non-o Visa Holder)

Hello

I have a non-O visa and no work permit. I have been to 5 banks (Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayudhya, Citibank, UOB and TMB) to try to open a baht account and all told me that it is necessary to have a work permit to do so. Surely this cannot be correct ? When I asked to speak to the manager it was repeated. They didn't even know what a non immigrant visa is !! And when I asked what a foreign student or a foreign retiree does they all said they did not know !!

I have heard that a certificate of residence can be obtained by non-O visa holders (mine is single entry and I have a 90 day stamp) from immigration in bangkok and with this certificate an account can be opened at most banks. Again, the banks that I have been to knew nothing about this.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Where abouts are you? It helps if you are in one of the more touristy/farang inhabited places.

Thais dont seem to like dealing with anything new and if they have not dealt with opening a farang account before will tend to dole out any excuse not to open one.

Just keep trying, you will get lucky before too long and let them know that you intend to transfer in heaps from abroad, every little helps.

I find Kasikorn to be best of the bunch.

I live in Samut Prakan, but the banks I went to were in Bang Na and Bangkok. I didn't go to any local branches because I was afraid of communication problems - I can speak thai to a basic level whereby I can explain to the banks what I want, but once I need to talk about certificates of residence and visa types I need to communicate in english, hence I went to Bang Na and after no luck there, to Bangkok.

Is there an "official line" on this topic. ?

Igot a savings account with an ATM card and internet banking at Siam Commercial Bank in Pattaya without any problems. Just needed my passport (with a 12month non imm O visa) and they asked for my address and phone number but I didn't need to show any proof of address. Took less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

Just came back from a day out visiting 5 K-bank branches in Bangkok. All said I need a work permit to open an account.

Very frustrating.

The branch in Phra Khanong told me that they used to open accounts for foreigners without work permits, but stopped doing so last month. They were unable to explain why.

Can anyone tell me any specific branch of any bank in Bangkok where a baht account, with internet banking access and ATM card, has been successfully opened within the last month ?

As far as I know from preliminary checking, there is no law that states foreigners need a work permit to open an account. On the contrary, immigration law requires certain non-working foreigners to show funds in a thai bank account.

I am aware of regulations concerning the source and purpose of funds remitted from overseas. But that is irrelevant to this problem.

Thanks

SD

Just came back from a day out visiting 5 K-bank branches in Bangkok. All said I need a work permit to open an account.

Very frustrating.

The branch in Phra Khanong told me that they used to open accounts for foreigners without work permits, but stopped doing so last month. They were unable to explain why.

I opened my K account with the branch outside Robinsons on Ratchadaphiesk Road, it was a few months ago though.

My friend just opened an account at Bangkok Bank, the Sukhumvit 8 branch, a notary letter from the embassy was required, cost about 1700 Baht from the UK embassy.

Call 1333, thats the helpline number for Bangkok Bank, ask them what the deal is. As long as you ask for a savings account then you should be told just a letter from an embassy is required if you don't have a non immi.

If you walk around a densly bank populated area (such as a Silom) chances are one of the banks will be having some kind of promotion (ie lots of people outside handing out fliers and stuff). This is the prime target. During these promotions the managers seem to be very eger to sign up as many people as possible. I'm guessing they get some kind of bonus depending on how many new accounts they open during the promotion period.

The saga continues.

Please excuse the verbose report but I have to get it off my chest.

I called 1333 this morning. After navigating their menu I spoke with a lady and explained my situation and told her what I wanted. She informed me that if I didn't have a work permit then I could not open an account. Not to be deterred I told her that I was aware of people who had opened accounts with a copy of their passport certified by their embassy. She asked me to hold. I listened to their hold-music for around 10 mins then the music stopped. Not knowing if the line had been cut, or what, I held on for another 10 mins then called back. This time spoke to a different lady. Same response. This time she came back after a couple of minutes and confirmed that I could indeed open an account with the said certified passport copy. Yahooo !!! So, off I went to Bangkok, having to collect my wife's passport from the UK Visa application centre anyway. And I was in an elated mood after finding her UK Visa approved and issued after only 2 days :D Shame it didn't last ! I had received advice that Krung Thai Bank will open an account for foreigners without much trouble, so having parked very near their HQ in sukhumvit 3 I went in to enquire. Yes, they can open an account without even having the passport copy certified. BUT, their savings account for foreigners without a work permit is not interest bearing - but for those with a work permit it is !! With a relatively paltry rate of interest for savings accounts anyway, and since I would have most of my money in a time deposit, I decided to check with the nearby Bangkok Bank branch, which is on the way to the british embassy anyway. Surprise surprise, but they told me I could not open any account without a work permit and they were quite rude about it when I mentioned about the certified passport copy !!! So I proceeded to call 1333 and after going through the same routine as in the morning I let the lady from 1333 explain it to the rude staff in the branch on my mobile phone. After a few sheepish smiles they asked me to proceed to the 3rd floor to talk about the interest rates. I was amazed to find the whole 3rd floor deserted ! Granted, it's only small - 2 desks and a glass-partitioned office, but nevertheless not a soul in sight ! So much for security ! So I waited for a while. After 10 mins I went back down to the ground floor and told them that no one was there. "Please take a seat and someone will be with you shortly". So back up to the 3rd, I took a seat in front one of the empty desks. Still no one came. Eventually I just got up and left, wondering whether to go and get the certified passport copy and come back tomorrow, or go back to KTB and open the account there today. I decided on the latter and after filling in forms and getting a receipt for my initial deposit I was informed that I could not get an ATM card after all because those were only available to work permit holders ! ! ! ! <deleted> ? I really couldn't believe it. I had of course mentioned that I needed an ATM card when I first when in there several hours ago, but to remind them of that served no purpose at all other than to add to my frustration. To add insult to injury I could not even close the account and get my 2k back because the account opening documents had not yet been processed ! ! ! !

So off I went to the British Embassy consular section to get the certified passport copy, knowing full well that I would have to come back again tomorrow to collect it, and of course, by the time I get there it was 15.40 and they had closed 10 mins earlier.

Is it just me, or is life in thailand getting harder ? They don't want us here, do they ? If you want to read some more of my whinging about problems living here, please see here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107622

...although I've probably bored you all to death already. Sorry about that ! :o

SD

Igot a savings account with an ATM card and internet banking at Siam Commercial Bank in Pattaya without any problems. Just needed my passport (with a 12month non imm O visa) and they asked for my address and phone number but I didn't need to show any proof of address. Took less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

Ditto.Same bank, with passport, provide address and phone. 1/2 hour. I uses my tgf address. And came with a mc debit card withour me asking for one.

seagull, hmm, haven't tried SCB yet - when did you open the account ? seems things might have changed recenrtly (at Kbank they did anyway).

bkkmadness, thanks for your support. But don't get me started on the consular fees ! Jeez, when did it become a revenue center for the government ? [no need to answer that, hehe] But seriously, from what I know about consular staff wages they must be making a fortune there. Guess they need it for the new building anyway. But I do pity the staff there sometimes, especially the middle aged blond guy who is often on the service counter - I'm sure you know the one, he's always so well spoken, jovial and polite it's hard to believe, particularly when you consider some of the riff-raff they get :o Have you ever been there are NOT been almost knocked out by the smell of stale beer ? I've been there a few times with my wife and was quite embarrassed at some of my fellow countrymen each time. That sounds a bit condescending. Oh well, never mind :-)

I must say, having a rant and a whinge has really perked me up.

seagull, hmm, haven't tried SCB yet - when did you open the account ? seems things might have changed recenrtly (at Kbank they did anyway).

bkkmadness, thanks for your support. But don't get me started on the consular fees ! Jeez, when did it become a revenue center for the government ? [no need to answer that, hehe] But seriously, from what I know about consular staff wages they must be making a fortune there. Guess they need it for the new building anyway. But I do pity the staff there sometimes, especially the middle aged blond guy who is often on the service counter - I'm sure you know the one, he's always so well spoken, jovial and polite it's hard to believe, particularly when you consider some of the riff-raff they get :o Have you ever been there are NOT been almost knocked out by the smell of stale beer ? I've been there a few times with my wife and was quite embarrassed at some of my fellow countrymen each time. That sounds a bit condescending. Oh well, never mind :-)

I opened the account in June 2006. Maybe you like to check out their website. Or give their call centre in bkk 02-777-7777.

http://www.scb.co.th/html/eng/main.shtml

Hi,

Just to comment, it is important to clarify that you want a savings account, not a full service or cheque account when initially discussing this with the bank. It has always been the case that apart from a savings book account an applicant has required a work permit. This is not a change.

However, I have heard of the problem occurring where the bank person 'mis-understands' and then is loath to reverse gear to the correct product.

It seems that SCB are actively pursuing the foreigner market presently, something that BB and K Bank have throttled back on.

HTH

Regards

I opened my account at SCB in Pattaya two weeks ago.

I opened a few BKK BANK accounts years ago with no problem. However, had a problem with ALL of my bank cards. I said specifically that I wanted the ATM screen to be in English when I lstuck my card in like in my SCB card. No problem was the reply. But there was a problem when only Thai popped up on the ATM. Went back and stated that I had specifically wanted the ATM cards to be in English. OK, we fix. No, they didn't. Went back again and they said they would fix it. Again, still in Thai. I gave up. All other machines ask if you want the language to be in Thai or English but none of the BKK Bank ATMs I have used.

Bangkok Bank also charges more money to recieve funds sent into Thailand. SCB is the best.

I opened a few BKK BANK accounts years ago with no problem. However, had a problem with ALL of my bank cards. I said specifically that I wanted the ATM screen to be in English when I lstuck my card in like in my SCB card. No problem was the reply. But there was a problem when only Thai popped up on the ATM. Went back and stated that I had specifically wanted the ATM cards to be in English. OK, we fix. No, they didn't. Went back again and they said they would fix it. Again, still in Thai. I gave up. All other machines ask if you want the language to be in Thai or English but none of the BKK Bank ATMs I have used.

Bangkok Bank also charges more money to recieve funds sent into Thailand. SCB is the best.

Benny, as far as I know, you just have to enter ANY card and then select the language you want.

Up here in Chiang Mai I had no problem. Went to a Bangkok Bank branch , they made a copy of my non-imm O visa, I signed a few papers, they gave me my passbook, an Visa/ATM card and a wall clock for opening the account. The gave me the minimal interest account , but no complaints here. I have no work permit either and they never asked to see one.

Hi! I was on a three-week visit to Udon Thani in December/January and opened a savings account with the Siam Commercial Bank. It came with a debit card, and a gift of a free carrying bag, calendar and so on. Of course, I could not open the account without using the house paper belonging to my financee. In any case, the account will be useful so I can transfer funds directly into the Udon Thani account when I return in August rather than have to carry around cash and traveller's cheques.

Tilokarat

Hello

I have a non-O visa and no work permit. I have been to 5 banks (Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayudhya, Citibank, UOB and TMB) to try to open a baht account and all told me that it is necessary to have a work permit to do so. Surely this cannot be correct ? When I asked to speak to the manager it was repeated. They didn't even know what a non immigrant visa is !! And when I asked what a foreign student or a foreign retiree does they all said they did not know !!

I have heard that a certificate of residence can be obtained by non-O visa holders (mine is single entry and I have a 90 day stamp) from immigration in bangkok and with this certificate an account can be opened at most banks. Again, the banks that I have been to knew nothing about this.

Thanks

Rob

Hi! I was on a three-week visit to Udon Thani in December/January and opened a savings account with the Siam Commercial Bank. It came with a debit card, and a gift of a free carrying bag, calendar and so on. Of course, I could not open the account without using the house paper belonging to my financee. In any case, the account will be useful so I can transfer funds directly into the Udon Thani account when I return in August rather than have to carry around cash and traveller's cheques.

Tilokarat

Hello

Thanks

Rob

I have lived in the north east for about 8 years. It must be about 5-6 six years ago I opened a joint account with my wife at SCB (we were not married at the time). We had gone to a BKK Bank branch because my wife had an account with them. They told us I could not get an account by myself, or joint with her. We then went to SCB who said sign on the dotted line. They said I could get my own account or joint account no problems. We got a joint account with savings book, ATM cards (choice of colors), and the usual bags calenders so on. From memory we got the ATM/visa electron debit cards same day or next day. I remember being supprised how quick we got them. I think at the time I was on a thirty day tourist visa.

I opened an account last year for my son and also a sole account for my wife. They asked me again then if I wanted to open my own account.

I am happy with SCB. Like others I would suggest you just keep trying until you get the results you want. Luckily I only had to ask twice.

I must say the situation in Thailand over the last twelve months has made me think how much money I actually want to have in banks here. When the coup first happened I envisaged a run on the banks. They maybe getting tighter on new bank accounts as with everything else. We've bought land and houses over the years and find they are more particular to where the money is coming from these days.

Best of luck.