Vespa LX150i problems :(

Batty

Hello chaps.  Any experts out there offer an opinion for a problem I am having with my Vespa LX150?  The bloody thing will not start when cold.  It sometimes starts after lots of turning over (like a solid 20-30 atempts) but most of the time it wont start and the battery drains out.  Kicking over is useless also.

I have so far paid three Thai blokes to fix it.  Each chap replaced various parts that probably needed replacing anyway, but none of them have fixed the issue with cold start and that was the whole bloody point in paying them to do so.

First chap seemingly just gave it a service, called me and said 'all good now'.  I told him to leave it in his shop overnight so he could start it cold but insisted it would work.  Of course, it didnt.  Second chap a few weeks later changed what look like bushes, and something in the clutch.  Again, insisted it would start cold.  Next morning, it didnt.

Third chap is something of an expert, seems like his heart is in the right place with it and actualy wants to fix it, but has failed despite promising me it was fixed.  He changed the rubber carb inlet (and some other bits that needed changing not related to cold starts), battery, spark plug, break cable, tightened up the kickstart and gave it back to me spotless - the engine looks new.  Just gone to start it this morning and again, as <deleted> usual, it won't start cold.  He told me when he handed it back that he has 'improved' the chances of it starting, but I still might need to kick start it unless I shell out 9,000 baht on a new carb which will fix the cold start issue.

If I have to buy a new carb, so be it - but before I shell out the money I want to be sure thats what the issue is.  Im no expert far from it, but I cant see how a new carb will make any difference to an engine that wont start cold.  The carb simply jets fuel into the cylinder, I cant see how that would only work when warm?  You know what the Thais can be like, if they dont know what the problem is they quite often wont admit to it and just blame it on the first thing that comes into there mind.

Could it be something else?  Fuel pump?  Ignition?  

Mmm, I'm an armchair mechanic and keyboard jockey. But friends have serviced carbs and they know carbs well. No way will someone who knows how to service carbs need to replace them like proposed. This does sound like a rip-off.

Gaskets and stuff are sold by the maker of that carb. And the "i" indicates an injection model, doesn't it?

Is lack of fuel the roots to the problem? Which colour are the spark plugs?

How old / how many miles does the Vespa have?

Some bikes come with a ton of deferred maintenance and I walked away from a Kawa 150 Serpico 2-stroke.

Internal combustion engine needs -

1. Fuel

2. Compression

3. Spark

If it starts warm OK, but not cold, investigate if the electric fuel pump is pressurizing the fuel rail.

To do this turn key to on - you should hear the electric pump spinning. When fuel pressure is reached, it will stop.

If equipped with a carburetor it will have a choke, or an enriching circuit of some type. See if this is working

On 12/22/2018 at 12:03 AM, WonnabeBiker said:

Mmm, I'm an armchair mechanic and keyboard jockey. But friends have serviced carbs and they know carbs well. No way will someone who knows how to service carbs need to replace them like proposed. This does sound like a rip-off.

Gaskets and stuff are sold by the maker of that carb. And the "i" indicates an injection model, doesn't it?

Is lack of fuel the roots to the problem? Which colour are the spark plugs?

How old / how many miles does the Vespa have?

Some bikes come with a ton of deferred maintenance and I walked away from a Kawa 150 Serpico 2-stroke.

Thanks for the post mate.  I wrote the 'i' in error, it is not an injection its a standard LX150.  Its a 20011 model, 9000 KMs on the clock.  Im just confused how it could be a carb issue.  Surely if there is something wrong with the carb, a component needs replacing or whatever, not the whole entire carb?  Carbs pretty much last forever as far as I am aware, its the jets/floats stuff like that that break and need swapping out?

I could be wrong of course, im not very mechanical.. 

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It could be as old as 2006 OP should take it to a Piaggio dealer.

Its a 2010 model.  We have a Vespa dealer here in my town but they are absolutley terrible - they have a service dept but all they are interested in is selling new vespas, unless the service requires them to order parts at a silly expense.  Not just me that has had bad experiences with them, they have a rep for it.

I used to live in Hua Hin and the Vespa dealer there was first class.  They were expensive, double or treble the rate of sourcing the parts yourself, but did a great job with a quick turn around.  Im north of thailand now, so thats not an option.

19 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Internal combustion engine needs -

1. Fuel

2. Compression

3. Spark

If it starts warm OK, but not cold, investigate if the electric fuel pump is pressurizing the fuel rail.

To do this turn key to on - you should hear the electric pump spinning. When fuel pressure is reached, it will stop.

If equipped with a carburetor it will have a choke, or an enriching circuit of some type. See if this is working

Good advice there mate thanks.  Unfortunately, this is where I am buggered to be honest - im hopeless at diving into engines and investigating.  I guess I will have to rely on this new mechanic (the third one for this same issue).  He is coming over tomorrow with an LX150 carb he has spare to swap out and see if it works.  if it does work, I will order one off the internet.  6500 baht from Scooter Center in Germany inc delivery, compared to the 9500 he wanted.  So its just one of them I guess, one step at a time until we figure it out.

59 minutes ago, Batty said:

Its a 2010 model.  We have a Vespa dealer here in my town but they are absolutley terrible - they have a service dept but all they are interested in is selling new vespas, unless the service requires them to order parts at a silly expense.  Not just me that has had bad experiences with them, they have a rep for it.

I used to live in Hua Hin and the Vespa dealer there was first class.  They were expensive, double or treble the rate of sourcing the parts yourself, but did a great job with a quick turn around.  Im north of thailand now, so thats not an option.

Still hope you get sorted, not knowing anything about about m/c mechanics your at the mercy of people until you find a local recommended m/c mechanic. 

Have they changed the spark plug and air filter ? Only 9000 kms the carb
(and everything elseshould be fine) but also check the fuel tank for rust or debris the fuel filter
the vacuum activated stop cock and the choke mechanism
( Thailand is warm shouldn't need choke unless up in the mountains)
Have the carb taken out and thoroughly cleaned inside with fresh fuel and all jets and passages blown through with compressed air.

Does it have an engine "kill switch" sometimes they are built into the side stand or on one of the brakes switches...could be "damp" untill lots of faffing around trying to start the bike shakes off just enough moisture

Also look for ants....yes they love relays and switches, can cause all sorts of mayhem.

Archived