Jump to content

Any CIMB branch helpful for new account?


Wandr

Recommended Posts

I have a retirement visa and would like to open an account at CIMB.

I tried at the Central branch but they don't agree even amongst themselves if they can do it.

Any other branch in Chiang Mai has a more enlightened attitude? If someone has recent experience it will help.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks...they opened the account without entering details from your passport? They did not look at the passport?

I doubt they will do that with a US passport though.

I will head there as soon as I have the pink card, maybe couple of weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The yellow book worked for me at Central, as a US citizen on retirement extension...been three years, and they do shift managers around...the bigger branch is about 250 meters north of the North Gate..I just opened two new accounts at a BKK branch..and yellowbook was important, even though it was from a place I sold.  Best ATM card in Thailand..if you start with a million and get preferred status....and the 2.5%, 24 month is the best thing going on FD, too.  CIMB are adjusting well to the new banking climate, the big legacy banks are not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I previous had a 1 year account with 1.2 million, and that classed me as a premier customer

Hence the 2.5% against 2.4%

 

I decided to go with 800k at 2.5% and put the 400K in instant access at 1.35%

 

Interest is paid monthly into my instant access account

 

I extended my retirement visa using CIMB letter, no problems

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2018 at 6:52 AM, HullyGully said:

If you have a yellow house book, most Amphur's will issue foreigners with an ID card (pink)

 

Where's the list of Amphur and their address? Is that the land office?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2018 at 6:49 AM, HullyGully said:

I previous had a 1 year account with 1.2 million, and that classed me as a premier customer

Hence the 2.5% against 2.4%

 

I decided to go with 800k at 2.5% and put the 400K in instant access at 1.35%

 

Interest is paid monthly into my instant access account

 

I extended my retirement visa using CIMB letter, no problems

So you are saying that CIMB has the best FD rate in Thailand right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't go to their Meechok branch, they have the same difficult attitude if you don't have pink card.

 

They are not welcoming to foreigners unlike Bangkok Bank. I prefer Bangkok Bank because their staff is more accomodating towards foreigners unlike CIMB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Don't go to their Meechok branch, they have the same difficult attitude if you don't have pink card.

 

They are not welcoming to foreigners unlike Bangkok Bank. I prefer Bangkok Bank because their staff is more accomodating towards foreigners unlike CIMB.

You are probably right. I have a couple of Bangkok Bank accounts, and the staff at the branch I use is very friendly.

However, if I am to set aside $25-30000 for visa purposes, which now looks inevitable, then I would like a decent return. And I would also like to avoid double taxation (or the paperwork to avoid double taxation).

I understand that it is not a lot of money, but to me it is almost like a game.

Bangkok Bank return is very low compared to CIMB. Also, the latter has some accounts where they do not deduct tax. Hence my interest.

The staff at CIMB Central was horrible in the sense that three different people gave three different views. In the end they just said 'sorry', wasting quite a lot of my time, and angering me - which is not a good thing in Thailand.

I will give the Meechok branch a try. If it doesn't work, then so be it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wandr said:

 

I will give the Meechok branch a try. If it doesn't work, then so be it.

 

My friend went to the Meechok branch. They gave a lot of requirements just to discourage foreigners from opening up an account there just like Central branch.

 

Passport, driving licence if you have, visa/work permit, your home country ID card (American/UK id card), Thai national (referee) to go personally with you to the bank (!!!), yellow book if you have.

 

That is a ridiculous number of documents.

 

The reason they gave is to 'prove that you are staying in Thailand'. Isn't a residence cert from immigration office enough to prove our residence? Nothing is more official than the immigration cert! 

 

Tax on interest can be returned when you fill up the income tax return form every year.

 

Yeah, make sure you can find a Thai guy to go with you to the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, according to poster HullyGully above he opened an account with a minimum of fuss. Only the ID card needed.

I will give it a shot once I get an ID card. But I sure will not jump through hoops if that is what they want.

If HullyGully remembers the name of the person who opened the account for him that may help - maybe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wandr said:

Well, according to poster HullyGully above he opened an account with a minimum of fuss. Only the ID card needed.

I will give it a shot once I get an ID card. But I sure will not jump through hoops if that is what they want.

If HullyGully remembers the name of the person who opened the account for him that may help - maybe.

The problem is most of us don't have a pink ID card. Why the need to apply when a residence cert would suffice like all other banks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...