Masks and water hoses out as Bangkok breathes foul air for a fourth straight day

webfact

2 hours ago, ColinChapman said:

Everything I've read says the safe limits are an average of not more than 25 micrograms per cubic metre in any 24 hour period and a yearly average of not more than 10. Where does their figure of 50 come from? 

Different entities set different standards for PM2.5, as follows:

(In Thailand, 50-51 micrograms of PM2.5 for a daily average is the dividing line between what's considered moderate pollution vs unhealthy -- 50 mcg is the top end of moderate, and 51 mcg is the beginning of unhealthy. In the U.S., that dividing line is 35.5 micrograms, by comparison.

Elsewhere in terms of established standards...

World Health Organization

Annual average PM2.5 not exceed 10 μg/m3  
Daily average PM2.5 not exceed 25 μg/m3 on more than 3 days per year  

United States EPA

Annual average PM2.5 not exceed 12 μg/m3  
Daily average PM2.5 not exceed 35 μg/m3 on more than 7 days per year  

European Union

Annual average PM2.5 not exceed 25 μg/m3

China

Annual average PM2.5 not exceed 35 μg/m3  

Daily average PM2.5 not exceed 75 μg/m3

Pollution in 28 areas in and around Bangkok still poses hazards

Pollution.jpg

Air pollution in 28 areas in Bangkok and its peripherals this morning still poses  a health threat, with the amount of fine particulates (PM2.5 in size) in the air exceeding the safety level.

Pollution Control Department said that fine particulates in the 28 areas were measured to be between 39-97 microgramme/one cubic metre.

The areas include Kanchanapisek road in Bang Khun Thian district, Klong Chan area in Bang Kapi district, Intharapitak road in Thon Buri, Lat Phrao road in Wang Thong Lang district, Din Daeng road, Tambon Songkhanong in Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan, Tambon Bang Saothong of Bang Saothong district of Samut Prakan, parallel road along the Rama II highway in Samut Sakhon.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pollution-in-28-areas-in-and-around-bangkok-still-poses-hazards/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-12-24

What a joke ???????? it’s cars in general that cause the problems, not only black smoke.  They are completely wasting water with another hair brained solution.  Like boat propellers pushing water out to sea-and they still think these things work.  It’s unbelievable 

13 minutes ago, Redline said:

What a joke ???????? it’s cars in general that cause the problems, not only black smoke.  They are completely wasting water with another hair brained solution.  Like boat propellers pushing water out to sea-and they still think these things work.  It’s unbelievable 

Agree about the propellers scam. But as for Thai PM2.5 air pollution, actually, the largest amounts of it come from the agricultural sector including field burning, not vehicle emissions, by a wide margin. Not to say vehicles don't contribute, they do, as does construction and industry. But agriculture exceeds them all here.

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Here's a wild idea:- check exhaust emissions? trucks, buses,cars & motorbikes, if they are over the limit compound them ???? 

Not going to happen? ???? for sure no, no area large enough to store the "offenders"! ????

You mean impound, I think. 

In any event, solutions need to be practical otherwise the city's businesses will grind to a halt, particularly given the paucity of public transport infrastructure.

If you think vehicle emissions, particularly diesel exhaust, are bad, you should have seen them thirty years ago. Nowadays there are basic checks at least, but they are retrospective and still not enough, given the most up-to-date knowledge of what diesel smoke can do, especially to children's developing respiratory systems.

In recent years, many cities in China have had long periods when the pm2.5 levels have been in the several hundreds for days on end. If we are to believe the stats in Bangkok, (perhaps a stretch in itself) then we are still a long way from those levels - though perhaps that's not much reassurance.

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Agree about the propellers scam. But as for Thai PM2.5 air pollution, actually, the largest amounts of it come from the agricultural sector including field burning, not vehicle emissions, by a wide margin. Not to say vehicles don't contribute, they do, as does construction and industry. But agriculture exceeds them all here.

Yes you are correct, and this was not addressed in the article. The article seems to focus on dust and black smoke.  Even when it’s not burning season, within hours after the rain stops, one can see pollution building around BKK.  I guess I was saying, they have no clue, or pretending they don’t 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Look no further than the ten of thousands of busses and trucks belching black diesel fumes in every corner of the metropolitan allowed to do so with impunity and complete disregard to people's health... 

Sometimes I disagree with you... but sometimes it is absolutely  impossible????

I doubt the sudden appearance of this haze is exclusively caused by the usual air pollution. One of my friends saw a huge cloud from his 28th floor balcony coming from one specific area. So why is it not covering the entire city? But of course, if it comes from a certain (industrial) source, this would be hidden by the BMA due to financial interests.

5 hours ago, ColinChapman said:

Everything I've read says the safe limits are an average of not more than 25 micrograms per cubic metre in any 24 hour period and a yearly average of not more than 10. Where does their figure of 50 come from? 

In Thailand, the air is different.

This thread is absolutly Hilarious, you guys are right of course, but this is third world, most of the world is 3rd,4th,5th world, I don't like 1st world, I like Bangkok, when I'm there I hang around at Soi 22 Sukhumvit, I don't take a taxi anywhere, except back and forth to the airport or when I go to Rayong, everything I like is within walking distance. You could join the De-Populate the world crowd, you know, where they want to kill off 99% of the world's population. Believe it or not there are some very wealthy Elites in this world that want to do that very thing.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The amount of Thai PM2.5 that comes from the ever increasing burning of waste in order to extract the small amounts of metal that are left by the commercial operations that dump the waste seems to be on the increase in my area ( East Pattaya )

I put this down to people stuggling to feed themselves and their families having to take to trash recycling.

My tiled area outside the house is black with the stuff from fires that the Local Admin Offices know about, but dont seem willing to put a stop too.

Archived