Mosquito attack

geisha

Hi, living in Jomtien between 2 nd road and night market, I’ve never seen so many mosquitoes ! Even in the daytime they’re agggresively flying into my condo so I’ve taken to closing the windows .The condo sprayed repellent a week or so ago. I’ve never hadn’t it this bad so I’m wondering why , any ideas ? Weather ? For sleeping I use the ventilator and a mosquito plug for a few hours while I’m out for the evening..

it depends on the species, but if Aedes, the ones that can give you Dengue fever, then they don't fly more than 100 meters from where they hatched out so you could try to locate the source which could be a stangnant pool very near to you that you could then treat with chemical.

Daytime mossies are the ones that give you dengue, to which there is no prophylactic. They must be coming from a water source near your place. Unless you want to use repellent indoors, screens are the answer, or at least a net on the bed.

Spraying repellent a week or so ago is a waste of time. it has to be done frequently and properly. Up in Chiang Mai they fogged once a year, which was a bad joke.

12 hours ago, dennis123 said:

Move to East Pattaya, zero mosquitos here, can't even remember when I was bitten by one, and I don't use any repellent or whatever to stop them. Just have those gazed doors that I close at night.

You're saying that even the mosquitos prefer the west side.

12 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

it depends on the species, but if Aedes, the ones that can give you Dengue fever, then they don't fly more than 100 meters from where they hatched out so you could try to locate the source which could be a stangnant pool very near to you that you could then treat with chemical.

Also moving to a higher floor if in a condo. Mozzies don't fly higher than about 5th or 6th floor.

26 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Also moving to a higher floor if in a condo. Mozzies don't fly higher than about 5th or 6th floor.

That may be true, but mossies will inevitably enter lifts and lift spaces, drift up stairways and other access areas and inhabit passageways regardless of height. Every time you open a door, you give them an easy access. Use a personal spray or the Bygone spray for your home. Be careful how you open your door. Don't delay closing it behind you. These are some of the things you might find will help.

16 hours ago, dennis123 said:

Move to East Pattaya, zero mosquitos here, can't even remember when I was bitten by one, and I don't use any repellent or whatever to stop them. Just have those gazed doors that I close at night.

I heard that the snakes out there eat all the mosquitoes, lol.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

I’ve killed  a few in the daytime and can’t see any stripes, they look like normal mosquito. Just wondering if it could be weather related as it’s so hazy , never had them before in the daytime. 

Yes. Must be some water source nearby. Put net onto your windows 

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Daytime mossies are the ones that give you dengue, to which there is no prophylactic. They must be coming from a water source near your place. Unless you want to use repellent indoors, screens are the answer, or at least a net on the bed.

Spraying repellent a week or so ago is a waste of time. it has to be done frequently and properly. Up in Chiang Mai they fogged once a year, which was a bad joke.

Many people believe that dengue mosquitoes only bite during the day. This makes them feel more complacent at night, as they think there’s no more risk of dengue infection. However, this new study shows that the danger of dengue is now more serious since infection can occur both during the day and at night,” A 2011 study, however, revealed that its biting time had extended from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. 

https://news.abs-cbn.com/lifestyle/05/04/12/warning-out-night-biting-dengue-mosquito

Im in a rental condo. I wouldn’t mind having a mosquito screen on the one main window, standard double sliding. How much would this be ? I don’t think the owner would be interested in paying and I might not be back next winter , thanks.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Im in a rental condo. I wouldn’t mind having a mosquito screen on the one main window, standard double sliding. How much would this be ? I don’t think the owner would be interested in paying and I might not be back next winter , thanks.

Economy style: staple or double sided tape the mosquito net on, and leave some room for moving the window. 

Archived