Patinchis

Hi I have an O-A long stay visa issued in London.,August 2018.

Grateful for advice re terms.......I entered Thailand in November and was given permission to stay till November 2018.......I exited again and am due back end January, presumably getting a chop giving me permission to stay till january 2019, however I plan to exit again probably end May and return October.....my question is can I enter in October with the chop stating permission to stay till January 2019 (ie get a rentry permeit before departing in May) or do I have to apply in London again for a new O-A visa?...thanks 

32 minutes ago, patinchis said:

Hi I have an O-A long stay visa issued in London.,August 2018.

Grateful for advice re terms.......I entered Thailand in November and was given permission to stay till November 2018.

Do you mean November 2019 by chance?  And gett new stay until January 2020?  For a return in October 2019 you will need to get a re-entry permit prior to leaving in May to keep that January 2020 permitted to stay date alive.

If you are smart and it fits in with your plans, do this.

Just before you go home in May 2019, take a side trip to Laos or another nearby country for less than a day if you like.

You will be stamped with permission to stay till May 2020.

Immediately go to an immigration office within Thailand and purchase a multi-entry re-entry permit for 3800 Baht.

Now, you can go in and out as many times as you like till May 2020.

After your visa expires in August of 2019 you will need a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of your last entry valid when you use it to enter the country.

You will get stamped into the country for one year when you enter January. You could get about 4 months of additional stay if you did a border hop before you leave in May to get a new one year entry. The get a re-entry permit to keep that entry valid.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Immediately go to an immigration office within Thailand and purchase a multi-entry re-entry permit for 3800 Baht.

He does not have to get a multiple re-entry permit. Looking at his current plans a single re-entry permit for a fee of 1000 baht would work for him.

43 minutes ago, patinchis said:

my question is can I enter in October with the chop stating permission to stay till January 2019 (ie get a rentry permeit before departing in May)

Yes you can.

But you’ve got the years wrong in your dates. Using a re-entry permit to enter in October 2019 will mean you’ll be given permission (“a chop”) to stay until January 2020.