DNA and the kid is mine

marcusarelus

Through facebook and my long lost sister and a daughter I always wondered at her real parentage I found out that "23andme" DNA testing really works.

I have a daughter who has always been difficult, to say the least, and her mother even told me I was not her real father before she (the mother) passed away. 

I bemoaned the 18 years of child support but never said anything to her. 

I'm adopted and late in life found my birth mother just before she died.  I'm in infrequent contact with one of my real sisters. 

The DNA service tests your DNA and lists it with all the others who have been tested.  My difficult daughter did it and informed me that she had a first cousin on the West Coast of America.  (I thought the thing was another of my daughters loony ideas) 

In a separate communication from my sister's, sister's daughter I was informed that she thought I was her uncle as a result of a conversation with her aunt (Christmas and families talk about lost relatives)  (I'm the lost sheep in Thailand).

Turns out that this woman is the same person who the DNA service had identified as my daughters first cousin. 

Well the thing works.  It identified 23 matching chromosomes and told these women where we were from and that they were related. 

That means any wild oats I may have sowed in my youth, and there were a few, could now be known. 

Interesting to say the least.  I'm sure I will now find out if my other children are actually mine of if momma was a rolling stone.  

Could have implications or be of service to you living in Thailand who wonder about parentage and so I mention it here.

You can also find out if there is any African in your DNA.  Which would really be funny for some of the members here. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

What a coincidence, I am also my sisters' daughters Uncle !!!

What made it odd was that I and my sister were the only ones who knew I had a sister.  The rest of the world thought I was an only child.  As a result of my sister's daughters curiosity and the DNA test we discovered that we were related.  I think I have three more children that I have never met and who don't know I exist.  As a result of this service if they get tested they will immediately find me. 

I know you probably think this is a joke but if you are adopted or an orphan this is big news.  You can connect with your birth family in minutes.  Take the test and bingo there is your family.  Surprise dad.  Surprise mom. Hereeeees little Johnny who you threw into the dumpster as an infant. 

Edited by marcusarelus

I think this service may depend upon a close relative having previously used the service and their DNA being on the database. You may have many close relatives (everyone has at least two) but if they are not on the database, then there is nothing to link them to.

In addition, DNA matching only gives probabilities and as the relationship becomes more distant e.g. third cousins (one shared set of great-great-grandparents) then the probability becomes difficult for people to grasp. People want yes or no answers.

51 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I should mention they don't ship the test to Thailand so you would have to buy it somewhere else.

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I think this service may depend upon a close relative having previously used the service and their DNA being on the database. You may have many close relatives (everyone has at least two) but if they are not on the database, then there is nothing to link them to.

In addition, DNA matching only gives probabilities and as the relationship becomes more distant e.g. third cousins (one shared set of great-great-grandparents) then the probability becomes difficult for people to grasp. People want yes or no answers.

Seems kinda pointless then

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

The link explains it.  In my case I determined my daughter was really mine because of a link to another family that I knew (but my daughter did not know) was related to me.  Since I was adopted it may allow me to find relatives I didn't know about.  They also have services in Thailand.  Seeing that there were a million Americans stationed here during the 1960's it would be an interesting test. 

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/221689668#application

Edited by marcusarelus

42 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Seems kinda pointless then

There are Thai DNA labs that do ancestry checks.  I personally think there are a lot more Thais with European ancestry than most people realize.  A couple of stories on Facebook is all it would take to start the new testing craze. 

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

There are Thai DNA labs that do ancestry checks.  I personally think there are a lot more Thais with European ancestry than most people realize.  A couple of stories on Facebook is all it would take to start the new testing craze. 

Yeah, but they don’t ship here and if your relatives aren’t using their service on their database then it’s a narrow field? Good idea and very interesting, don’t get me wrong.

51 minutes ago, phetphet said:

And all the information that 23andMe gleans from all these tests, from registration, genetic, self reported, and web site usage becomes their property to use or sell as they wish.

https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

You may discover things about yourself and/or your family members that may be upsetting or cause anxiety and that you may not have the ability to control or change.

You may discover relatives who were previously unknown to you, or may learn that someone you thought you were related to is not your biological relative.

In the event of a data breach it is possible that your data could be associated with your identity, which could be used against your interests.

Edited by marcusarelus