What are Thai ghosts like?

RamenRaven

Thais keep telling me to beware of ghosts. It's because I like to take walks at night in the woods and orchards, which the local Thais believe have ghosts at night. Personally, I do not believe in ghosts since we have no scientific descriptions of ghosts, and until now I have always thought it was something that only Stone Age tribes literally believe in (with ghost stories in the West just meant to scare kids, but no one literally believes them). When I tell them my doubts, the universal answer is, "It's because you haven't seen a ghost yet." But I don't think I will ever see one, so I am looking for some descriptions of what Thais believe they are like.

However, I have no cultural background of what the ghosts are like, what they do to people, where they come from, etc.

So what are Thai ghosts like? Is there any guidebook on Thai ghosts?

21 minutes ago, grollies said:

Walking around the woods at night? Are you mad? It's not ghosts you've got to worry about.......snakes on the other hand.....

I know the wooded areas behind my house very well. I prefer to walk around there at night because there is no burning sunshine, smoke from agricultural burning, motorbike traffic, and all of that annoying stuff. I enjoy listening to crickets and walking under the moonlight. Keeps me fit and healthy.

Plus if I walk around where there are lots of houses, I would get attacked by guard dogs. Thais are more scared of ghosts than of dogs, which I find to be ludicrous.

Now let's stick to the original topic. What are Thai ghosts supposed to be like?

Well, the one difference I noticed is that ghosts I encountered in the West went boo and were aggressive, while the one Thai ghost I ran into at Khao Yai said boo, krub, and then when I yelled at in English it mumbled something derogatory implying that a dead Thai was better a live farang and disappeared.

Wife tells me a lot of it comes from mothers and fathers telling things to kids to try to keep them safe. Like don't swim alone there cause the ghost will pull you under and other similar warnings. As people in this country need to work long hours to keep themselves in food and shelter, there's not always somebody around to keep checking the kids so they'll use fear to do it. 

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_in_Thai_culture#List_of_Thai_ghosts

Lot of entrail devouring things that smell bad.

That's a nice list. But, from a Thai's perspective, what happens if I actually meet one of those in the woods at night?

The article says some of them are benevolent, so it looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost can be my next best buddy in Thailand and I don't have to be scared of them.

4 hours ago, grollies said:

?

IMG20170419164739.jpg

So you mean,

Ghosts at night = Snakes at night

Or, frogs. In the orchards at night, sometimes I see some Burmese / Shan migrant workers looking for frogs with flashlights. Apparently they know that the Thai ghosts making noises in the bushes are in fact just edible frogs.

2 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

That's a nice list. But, from a Thai's perspective, what happens if I actually meet one of those in the woods at night?

The article says some of them are benevolent, so it looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost can be my next best buddy in Thailand and I don't have to be scared of them.

Phi Pop are the dangerous ones. Rumour has it that they dont like real Western Entrails, too cheesy and beer soaked and not enough vegetables in the diet.

Thats why I have started drinking beer and eating Pizza, to ward off the Phi Pop. Whilst guys with Thai wives are going to be waking up screaming as some Phi Pop devours their tasty, Thai food soaked spleens me, Im going to protected by the gods of Pizza Hut.

Ghosts are on about the same level as religion and it does seem that people that have some type of religion also believe in ghosts. I don't believe in either.

But after reading the list of Thai ghosts, maybe stay away from the woods at night. You may end up getting a good rogering by one of them.

About 20 years ago there was a girl who looked like a white painted ghost in Pattaya soi 8. She looked like she would die within days or maximum weeks. But whenever I visited Pattaya I saw her again and again. I guess at least for 10 years. She always looked the same. Like a dead person with a white painted face. I am sure lots of guys will remember her.

I am not sure if she was a ghost or not but the fact that she looked almost dead for at least 10 years is a indicator that maybe she was a ghost and was already dead.

I guess if I would see her again these days I would be convinced she is a ghost.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About 20 years ago there was a girl who looked like a white painted ghost in Pattaya soi 8. She looked like she would die within days or maximum weeks. But whenever I visited Pattaya I saw her again and again. I guess at least for 10 years. She always looked the same. Like a dead person with a white painted face. I am sure lots of guys will remember her.

I am not sure if she was a ghost or not but the fact that she looked almost dead for at least 10 years is a indicator that maybe she was a ghost and was already dead.

I guess if I would see her again these days I would be convinced she is a ghost.

Yes, I remember seeing her twenty years ago too.

I asked around, I was told she had worked in a bar, a ferang beat her up, causing brain injury, hence her wandering about painted in white.

All the other girls tended to look after her. No idea if the story was true though.

Ghosts?! No need to worry about ghosts ... 

A lot of holes in that jungle .. and a lot of problems are buried in those holes. But you gotta do it right. I mean, you gotta have the hole already dug before you show up with a package in the trunk. Otherwise, you're talking about a half-hour to forty-five minutes worth of digging. And who knows who's gonna come along in that time Pretty soon, you gotta dig a few more holes. You could be there all flipping night.

Don't go walking in that jungle 

41 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I remember seeing her twenty years ago too.

I asked around, I was told she had worked in a bar, a ferang beat her up, causing brain injury, hence her wandering about painted in white.

All the other girls tended to look after her. No idea if the story was true though.

Yeah I remember her too! She was famous, like the worm guy of lower Sukhmavit!

Last month a ghost drowned a disabled man in our village, he had gone to a lake and a lady ghost told him to go into the lake and swim with her. Unfortunately being paralysed in one arm and unable to swim he died. I am told the lady ghost is very sexy and has tried to drown many men over the years. 

Three soldiers crashed a motor bike and were killed outside our house many years ago. They now appear regularly driving in front of cars and bikes causing accidents, they have been responsible for 3 deaths and a broken arm.

Yesterday 100 mts from our home 2 cars crashed and and 3 people were taken to hospital, I have not had confirmation yet but my mother in law told my daughter a ghost was the probable cause.

20 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

Last month a ghost drowned a disabled man in our village, he had gone to a lake and a lady ghost told him to go into the lake and swim with her. Unfortunately being paralysed in one arm and unable to swim he died. I am told the lady ghost is very sexy and has tried to drown many men over the years. 

Three soldiers crashed a motor bike and were killed outside our house many years ago. They now appear regularly driving in front of cars and bikes causing accidents, they have been responsible for 3 deaths and a broken arm.

Yesterday 100 mts from our home 2 cars crashed and and 3 people were taken to hospital, I have not had confirmation yet but my mother in law told my daughter a ghost was the probable cause.

And foreigners are criticised for having a superiority complex. With people still believing this crap from centuries past, it seems there's not much competition.

(waiting for comments about thai-bashing to start)

12 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

depends,

some are dangerous some are decent

all wooden boats have 1 female ghost living in the wood, phi nang takiang

the koko's (or phi's) objective is to safeguard / protect boat-skipper-pax

the koko is fed well before boat is launched, as newbuild or after overhauls

this koko must not be upset,

pissing over the rail is NOT appreciated by the ghost

I have never seen a Thai pissing over the rail

all boats have a cutoff plastic water bottle for pissing,

empty it over the side and rinse it in the water is considered OK

Archived