Road death toll rises to 98 on first two days of New Year holiday clampdown

rooster59

I'm a big advocate for road lane lines. They will help the drunks drive in a straight line.

I think I'll research a bit myself on the new line marking technologies and forward my research onto the Minister for traffic. Anybody have any knowledge on the matter. 

When tar roads are laid I would think a fluorescent type white diamond encrusted tar strip laid into the setting tar would be long lasting as much as the road is. But that would involve newly designed materials I'm guessing. 

Apparently diamonds can be manufactured now and the chemists are at it everyday trying to find new gooey stuff for all sorts. 

Otherwise for old roads strips that melt into the tar.

This would then suit Thai style. No maintenance I.e. No painting required for another 50 years. 

3 hours ago, bannork said:

The average number of deaths per day is 60 so these 'dangerous days' are actually safer than normal.

Blame the jams where traffic crawls along...but I suppose that only happens on the 'first day'. Oh well...

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Well going on a purely mathematical guess 98 divided by 2 = 49, so 49x5=245 plus 98 =343,of course random factors come in, after all it is the 29th,so the party has only just started, i reckon 400 odd and i will be staying safe at home new years eve watching Zulu again for what feels like the above numbers.

So another holiday in front of the boob tube....gosh I hope I never get that old. YOLO but I guess your motto is BOOB....lol!

4 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Blame the jams where traffic crawls along...but I suppose that only happens on the 'first day'. Oh well...

It is mostly motorbikes so would have to think the main highways are not as bad as folks think due to the slow moving traffic.  I just drove my motorbike 75km back to the farm from my Khon Kaen house and I went through 2 sobriety check points where I have to blow in a Breathalyzer.  One stopped everyone driving a car and the other motorbikes.  I liked having that in my area and hopefully it will be there 24 hours a day for the next few days.

I went shopping here in Mukdahan this morning & I'd say that there was 4x the usual w/e traffic driving around town, I'm talking cars & pickups NOT m/bikes. I'm, as always on my "big" bike & it was complete mayhem, the number of car/pick up drivers who were making elementary driving mistakes was something to behold. luckily for me, I ride with the attitude that everyone else on the road are out to kill me & take sensible precautions so, am in my ninth year of riding around here. Having completed my New year's shopping the bike is locked down for the rest of the period & I'm now peacefully drinking, I'm sorry to say, I can't see anything changing the holiday carnage here as, not only are everyone untrained in any kind of driving skills, I think that Thais let go and allow their rebellious spirits out to play in the only arena that they're allowed to. Sad but true....

• Like 1

I'm a big advocate for road lane lines. They will help the drunks drive in a straight line.
I think I'll research a bit myself on the new line marking technologies and forward my research onto the Minister for traffic. Anybody have any knowledge on the matter. 

When tar roads are laid I would think a fluorescent type white diamond encrusted tar strip laid into the setting tar would be long lasting as much as the road is. But that would involve newly designed materials I'm guessing. 
Apparently diamonds can be manufactured now and the chemists are at it everyday trying to find new gooey stuff for all sorts. 

Otherwise for old roads strips that melt into the tar.

This would then suit Thai style. No maintenance I.e. No painting required for another 50 years. 

I'm involved in road markings in the UK, the problem here is the temperatures, rubber from vehicle tyres quickly builds up on the white lines. When the thermostat plastic is originally laid it is coated with a reflective glass, we call them 'beads,' it's very effective at night. Unfortunately here it doesn't last long.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

I'm involved in road markings in the UK, the problem here is the temperatures, rubber from vehicle tyres quickly builds up on the white lines. When the thermostat plastic is originally laid it is coated with a reflective glass, we call them 'beads,' it's very effective at night. Unfortunately here it doesn't last long.

The company I sub-contract to in the UK are at the forefront of road marking technology and innovation, they are the biggest independent road markers in the UK, WJ road markings.

5 hours ago, lee68 said:

Id say thats risen here in chiang mai with the 1 hours rain we just had, all i can hear is ambulances going up the 118!

What is happening here on some roads during strong rain

is amazing. I was riding on a motorcycle when it started to rain.

I was 1.5 hours from Prachua Kiri Kan and I wanted to spend

the night there.
During these 1.5 hours I saw three accidents

one pick up in a ditch on the side of the road, other in a ditch

in the middle of the road and just before the PKK 18 wheeler

which attempted to get through a concrete barrier on the opposite

lane ... and half succeeded ????

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, kevvy said:

You are a heartless person . You come here to live and yet you like to see more deaths in the country you call home.amazing !!!!

I think the point is that the citizens are doing it to themselves, if they don't care, and they obviously don't, then why should we?

3 hours ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

It is mostly motorbikes so would have to think the main highways are not as bad as folks think due to the slow moving traffic.  I just drove my motorbike 75km back to the farm from my Khon Kaen house and I went through 2 sobriety check points where I have to blow in a Breathalyzer.  One stopped everyone driving a car and the other motorbikes.  I liked having that in my area and hopefully it will be there 24 hours a day for the next few days.

Sobriety,ok that's why you come across as weird. No offence intended .Sarge.

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I went shopping here in Mukdahan this morning & I'd say that there was 4x the usual w/e traffic driving around town, I'm talking cars & pickups NOT m/bikes. I'm, as always on my "big" bike & it was complete mayhem, the number of car/pick up drivers who were making elementary driving mistakes was something to behold. luckily for me, I ride with the attitude that everyone else on the road are out to kill me & take sensible precautions so, am in my ninth year of riding around here. Having completed my New year's shopping the bike is locked down for the rest of the period & I'm now peacefully drinking, I'm sorry to say, I can't see anything changing the holiday carnage here as, not only are everyone untrained in any kind of driving skills, I think that Thais let go and allow their rebellious spirits out to play in the only arena that they're allowed to. Sad but true....

After a trip to "Macro" yesterday and after watching the way shoppers were handling their shopping carts I think I can see why they're such bad drivers....they don't give a stuff about other people me me me me!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kevvy said:

You are a heartless person . You come here to live and yet you like to see more deaths in the country you call home.amazing !!!!

I agree. I suspect that many heartless, humour laden, keyboard jokesters are fueled by hate, booze and unhappiness in their lives. They look for every opportunity to make fun and display their pathetic character defects. I wish them all well...well far from me.

I agree. I suspect that many heartless, humour laden, keyboard jokesters are fueled by hate, booze and unhappiness in their lives. They look for every opportunity to make fun and display their pathetic character defects. I wish them all well...well far from me.

Nothing wrong with saying it’s “amazing” that the carnage continues Non stop ! Amazing can be a positive or a negative adjective !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, kevvy said:

Once again the keyboard warriors show their hateful words wishing people to die ...

I think it's a form of grim humour.  Of course no one wants others to die; it's a defence mechanism to cope with these annual numbers in the face of police inaction.