Samsung Smart TV apps worth using?

JaiMaai

14 hours ago, sungod said:

To be honest, I would rather buy a standard TV these days and buy a decent android box, far more choice of apps in the playstore than those supplied by Samsung.

I agree, also be aware that even Android TVs have a hobbled OS and much of the Playstore is not available.

I was hoping to lose a box, nope, none of my favoured Apps run properly on the Android TV even when side-loaded to bypass the playstore.

Grrr.

I dont have a problem with all the boxes that I have (1 android box and one fire stick). The problem is more the remote and explaining the GF how all things work. Got a huge collection of movies and tv series on my android box and then on the other hand netflix. (great too). 

But that leaves us with 3 remotes, one for the TV and one for the android box and one for the fire-stick. 

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I agree, also be aware that even Android TVs have a hobbled OS and much of the Playstore is not available.

I was hoping to lose a box, nope, none of my favoured Apps run properly on the Android TV even when side-loaded to bypass the playstore.

Grrr.

TVs with android OS was my next question, good to know.

Thanks for the replies. They've pretty much confirmed what I aleady thought. The Samsung TV will get me HD Netflix and that's pretty much it. I'll be sticking with the old Android box for pretty much everybody else. Ive already tried a Xiaomi box but side loaded apps were hit and miss as already mentioned by Crossy. I'm also unwilling to splash out on a Shield purely for Netflix without any guarantee of other apps working.

(In terms of the price, I got the Samsung at good price - probably clearing old stock but I don't care about that)

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

I bought a new Samsung 4K TV recently, and I use the Youtube and Netflix apps , it works perfect for me. 

I do not use any Android box, since my laptop and harddrive is connected and I stream everything from there.  

Archived