Which Visa Way Now?

Have just come from the UK with my Thai wife

We now live here on the border of Nonthaburi/Bangkok and I have a Non Immigration. multi-entry type O visa, issued in the UK in Dec2006 . Intension is to stay here for the rest of our lives, but travel out of Thailand 2-3 times a year.

I understand that there are two visas available to me.

A Retirement Visa

Support Thai wife Visa.

Please would somebody advise which is best (pros and cons of each). Maybe? in a few years I will apply for residence..but only if I can master this language!!

At present I understand that I can come and go from this country with no related payments. If I change my visa now do I get a free year or do I have to pay this 1000Baht each time I leave or just once each year.

Also what do I need to be able to buy a car (other than money)..I would like to own something here in Thailand!!

Thanks

Edited by John45

Have just come from the UK with my Thai wife

We now live here on the border of Nonthaburi/Bangkok and I have a Non Immigration. multi-entry type O visa, issued in the UK in Dec2006 . Intension is to stay here for the rest of our lives, but travel out of Thailand 2-3 times a year.

I understand that there are two visas available to me.

A Retirement Visa

Support Thai wife Visa.

Please would somebody advise which is best (pros and cons of each). Maybe? in a few years I will apply for residence..but only if I can master this language!!

At present I understand that I can come and go from this country with no related payments. If I change my visa now do I get a free year or do I have to pay this 1000Baht each time I leave or just once each year.

Also what do I need to be able to buy a car (other than money)..I would like to own something here in Thailand!!

Thanks

There is no such things as retirement or Thai wife Visas.

You can extend your Non Imm O Visa for one year every year based on Retirement or Living with Thai wife.

Retirement requires 65,000 Baht a month income OR 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank. This must be in the bank for at least 3 months before you apply. This option is fairly strait forward and easy.

The Thai wife option requires an income of 40/000 Baht a month and is a lot of hassle to do but it is possible.

You can get a multi re entry permit. Not sure on the cost.

Quite easy to buy a car but you will need a licence to drive it. Have a look at the motoring forum.

Once you have a one year extension based on marriage or retirement you will need to get a Re-entry permit to keep you visa alive whilst you travel.

A single entry is 1000 baht and multi-entry 3800 baht.

You will have to judge which is most economic, based on your travel plans.

Just make sure you are in LOS when your visa comes up for renewal.

With the Non Imm visa you will have no difficulty registering a vehicle in your own name.

Your overseas Driving Licence will be accepted as proof of competence so that you can obtain

a Thai driving licence.

The TDL is a good thing to have as it acts as a local identity document.

What they said ^^^

PLUS, if you use the 'wife' extension route you can get a work permit if you become bored :o

With a retirement extension you're not supposed to work (although it would appear that WPs have recently been given against retirement visas).

I have a legal Thai wife too and use the retirement visa. If the financial requirements are not a problem for you, the retirement visa is much faster and simpler. The immigration office prefers that too because it is a lot less bother for them. The retirement visa may not be the official name but I can assure you that they certainly know what you mean.

I have a legal Thai wife too and use the retirement visa. If the financial requirements are not a problem for you, the retirement visa is much faster and simpler. The immigration office prefers that too because it is a lot less bother for them. The retirement visa may not be the official name but I can assure you that they certainly know what you mean.

Thanks to all of you.

OK, so the so called retirement visa is actually a Non Imm OA..I see that from the Hull Consulate web site. I also see that I appear to need a police report from the UK and this can take several weeks and I guess not a small amount of money. Do I actually need this as I already have an O visa.

It appears that a good way forward is to extend my present visa for up to one year, every 90 days and then decide what to do. Can I renew my Multi O visa in Thailand? if not guess it O-A.

So I can buy a car..good. I know how to get a licence..need to pay the British embassy some 1700Baht for them to say where I live, get the form, photos IDP and licence copies etc..... and then go to the proper offices..was there last week getting the tax/on wifes car.

Thanks to all of you.

OK, so the so called retirement visa is actually a Non Imm OA..I see that from the Hull Consulate web site. I also see that I appear to need a police report from the UK and this can take several weeks and I guess not a small amount of money. Do I actually need this as I already have an O visa.

It appears that a good way forward is to extend my present visa for up to one year, every 90 days and then decide what to do. Can I renew my Multi O visa in Thailand? if not guess it O-A.

So I can buy a car..good. I know how to get a licence..need to pay the British embassy some 1700Baht for them to say where I live, get the form, photos IDP and licence copies etc..... and then go to the proper offices..was there last week getting the tax/on wifes car.

I am a Brit in Thailand with a Thai wife and have an extension based on marriage.

I have never needed a Police report from the UK or anywhere else.

good luck

If you had applied for the non-OA visa at the consulate, you would have needed a police report.

With the multiple-entry non-O visa you have now, every time you enter Thailand during the validity period of the visa you get permission to stay for 90 days. During the last 30 days of any of these entries, you can apply at any Immigration office in Thailand for an annual extension of stay, in your case either for the reason of retirement or to live with your Thai wife, as you prefer. For both reasons, no police report needed. Thereafter, once a year, during the last 30 days of your permitted period to stay, you apply for a new annual extension of stay.

--

Maestro

You mention Permanent Residence (PR) in the future. There is no chance of that using retirement extensions of stay under current policy and slim chance using marriage and not being employed. PR will normally require a record of tax payment for a higher than normal salary. But one can never say never and exceptions happen - but for planning I would not count on it.

1. Retirement 800k/65k/combined which you can apply for inside Thailand and approval is immediate. Fast and simple. Same procedure each year. It is an extension of an O type visa and even if you only have a tourist visa that can be converted by Immigration.

2. Family now requires 40k monthly "family" income. Both have to apply each year and prove relationship ongoing. Under review period that can last several months (with returns to obtain another short extension). If you want to work or not of retirement age a good option.

3. Both above extensions require re-entry permit to keep alive until permitted to stay date - 1,000 baht each or 3,800 multi entry type.

4. Multi entry non immigrant O visa from home or some other Consulates. Unlimited 90 day stays with no requirement for address reporting, or visits to immigration. But does require leaving country every 90 days and would not be acceptable for PR requirements.

You can get the proof of address certificate from immigration. Much cheaper than the embassy.

Yes so I understand..however I'm told that you can't get it for three months..until I apply for visa extension..can't wait that long as I want to buy a car..am I correct please..if not how can I do it quick

Thanks

You mention Permanent Residence (PR) in the future. There is no chance of that using retirement extensions of stay under current policy and slim chance using marriage and not being employed. PR will normally require a record of tax payment for a higher than normal salary. But one can never say never and exceptions happen - but for planning I would not count on it.

1. Retirement 800k/65k/combined which you can apply for inside Thailand and approval is immediate. Fast and simple. Same procedure each year. It is an extension of an O type visa and even if you only have a tourist visa that can be converted by Immigration.

2. Family now requires 40k monthly "family" income. Both have to apply each year and prove relationship ongoing. Under review period that can last several months (with returns to obtain another short extension). If you want to work or not of retirement age a good option.

3. Both above extensions require re-entry permit to keep alive until permitted to stay date - 1,000 baht each or 3,800 multi entry type.

4. Multi entry non immigrant O visa from home or some other Consulates. Unlimited 90 day stays with no requirement for address reporting, or visits to immigration. But does require leaving country every 90 days and would not be acceptable for PR requirements.

Thanks Lop

So I can to apply at immigration after 3 months to get visa extended? I can leave it up to 1 year before I apply for either 'retirement' or 'family' visa. Then I have to report address every 3 months?. Can I get visa renewed without actually going to immigration..am thinking when am a lot older and wife has to push me in a chair!!

When your permitted to stay stamp is down to between 30 and 21 days remaining is the preferred time Immigration would like you to visit to make the application for extension of stay. That will be your first 90 day address report so from 90 days onward you will file a TM.47 address report in person or by mail when inside Thailand. If you are not in Thailand (you did obtain a re-entry permit to keep extension alive) the next address report will be due 90 days after you return (that arrival card is day one).

I am sure arrangement can and will be made when our abilities diminish (further). Believe it can also be set up in advance with a legal firm.

You can get the proof of address certificate from immigration. Much cheaper than the embassy.

Yes so I understand..however I'm told that you can't get it for three months..until I apply for visa extension..can't wait that long as I want to buy a car..am I correct please..if not how can I do it quick

Thanks

Got mine a couple of weeks ago in Samui. Took about 15 minutes. But as we all know every office is diferent.