From Phetchaburi to Yala: Thailand on high alert for Tropical Storm Pabuk

Jonathan Fairfield

Pabuk due to hit southern Thailand this week

By The Nation

n2.jpeg

The authorities are on high alert as Tropical Storm Pabuk is on course for southern Thailand.

Chayaphon Thitisak, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director general, said his southern offices were prepared for the storm later this week.

The authorities are stockpiling equipment and supplies, he added. Chayaphon urged citizens to stay alert and comply with the official instructions.

In case of an emergency, people can call the 1784 hotline.

The Meteorological Department says Pabuk will affect Thailand until Saturday, as it is now moving westward at the speed of 10 kilometres per hour and it is already entering the Gulf of Thailand.

A warning for heavy downpours and strong gale has been issued for Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

The Meteorological Department also urged Gulf coast southerners to stay away from the shore as waves of 3-5 metres were expected with a chance of inshore surges.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361480

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-02

Authorities face tough test as tropical storm Pabuk expected to cause serious damage

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

6e337c078d86adc5297615d1518524c2-sld.jpe

THAILAND’S measures to prepare for and mitigate extreme weather conditions are facing a tough test as tropical storm “Pabuk” makes its way toward the country.

d33950a908b8718b61154d897768a2c6.jpeg

Meteorological Department and the Office of National Water Resources (ONWR) confirmed yesterday that the first tropical storm of 2019, Pabuk, will make landfall in the upper South tomorrow with a maximum wind speed of 65 to 90 kilometres per hour. 

It is expected that areas in the storm’s path will suffer damages from strong gales and intense downpours of up to 300 millimetres, while it is expected to stir waves as high as 7 metres in the Gulf of Thailand. 

According to the Meteorological Department’s eighth warning, the storm was currently moving westward at the speed of 10 kilometres per hour and has already entered the Gulf of Thailand. Its maximum wind speed was 65km per hour at that time.

The storm appeared to have already hit the southernmost part of Thailand yesterday afternoon, as a large band of heavy rain was detected by the Meteorological Department’s radar in Narathiwat province.

Meteorological Department director-general Phuwieng Prakhammintara said considering the current wind speed and direction, the storm will move into the Gulf of Thailand, pass Koh Samui, and directly hit the coast of Surat Thani or Chumphon provinces tomorrow.

“We are very concerned about the safety and well-being of people in these two provinces, because these areas will suffer the most from severe gales and storm surges as Pabuk makes landfall,” Phuwieng said.

“So, we suggest people in these areas, especially those who live by the sea and low-lying areas, to evacuate to safer places.”

He further warned that provinces south of Phetchaburi were also at risk, as Pabuk will bring intense downpours of up to 300mm, so those living in areas prone to flash floods and landslides should also evacuate. 

90a74e986efbba1efeba08bf99bbd242.jpeg

The Meteorolo-gical Department has issued a warning of heavy downpours and strong gales in the provinces of Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

Samroeng Sangphuwong, ONWR deputy secretary-general, said he was worried about the risk of overflowing rivers and dams, and cautioned that heavy rainfall will fill rivers and reservoirs to a critical point. 

Therefore, he urged the Royal Irrigation Department, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand and other related agencies to carefully manage reservoir levels and drain as much water as possible before the storm hits. 

Meanwhile, Marine Meteorological Centre director Wattana Kanbua said tropical storm Pabuk is stirring the sea, creating waves of up to 7 metres high in the Gulf of Thailand and generating storm surge and coastal flood threats along the Gulf of Thailand.

“The seawater is being pushed by the storm, contributing to very high waves and a significant rise in sea levels, especially in the inner Bay of Bangkok,” Wattana warned. “Due to this dangerous situation, people should avoid the coast and all ships should remain anchored.” 

Nearly all activities in the Gulf of Thailand have been suspended due to rough sea conditions from the storm, with the Angthong Marine National Park in Surat Thani closed to all visitors until Saturday. Also, staff members of PTT oil-drilling rigs have been evacuated and all ferry services between Samui, Pha-ngan and Koh Tao islands have been stopped. 

0d97bdb4391dd33aca2f108efa145db0.jpeg

Photo from: Lomprayah Catamaran's facebook

Lomprayah High Speed Ferries will stop taking tourists from Chumphon and Surat Thani to islands, such as Koh Tao, Koh Nangyuan, Koh Pha-ngan and Koh Samui, from tomorrow, and will cancel trips on Saturday if the weather worsens.

Likewise, Seatran Ferry will not take tourists to Koh Samui from today and will not accept books for tomorrow and Saturday either. 

Nakhon Si Thammarat Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada has designated six seaside districts of the province as disaster zones and ordered the evacuation of residents by this evening. All schools in these areas will be closed from today, while schools in Muang Nakhon Si Thammarat will be used to shelter the evacuees. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361517

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-03

65 - 90 km/h? I used to live on the coast in SW England & we'd get storms with winds stronger than that 3 - 4 times every winter. It's the same as when they think that it's cold here, what are they whingeing about lol 

Imagine the scene inside the TAT office;

"well that was a year from hell,things can only get better"

"Er,sir,erm ,well there is a major tropical storm and it is going to affect all the major tourist area's in the south,could be a lot of damage and flooding"

"but it's the middle of high season, get out and check again" , door close's desk draw open's out comes Johnie Walker to save the day.

that's NOT a storm.  Try 1,000 km/h winds with 900 cm of rain in a day in the middle of an exploding volcano while being hit with lightning.  

I might be 10,000 kms from the storm, but i wish i was there to go swimming at midnight and fight sharks while trolling. 

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

65 - 90 km/h? I used to live on the coast in SW England & we'd get storms with winds stronger than that 3 - 4 times every winter. It's the same as when they think that it's cold here, what are they whingeing about lol 

yes but houses were built 100 times better than the houses here. We need to pray and help the people affected here as much as we can. they are not whining and it is not nice for you to say they are. be nice or go back to England

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

It depends on what is a strong deviation from the expected norm. People were crying and falling down dead in the UK and Europe when they suffered a "heat wave" that was no more than a normal hot season here.

33 minutes ago, randy723 said:

yes but houses were built 100 times better than the houses here. We need to pray and help the people affected here as much as we can. they are not whining and it is not nice for you to say they are. be nice or go back to England

I think there may have been more than a little tongue in cheek in the post of puukao.  Possibly yours as well, however praying was not something I had in mind, but if it makes you feel like you are contributing positively, then pray on.

39 minutes ago, randy723 said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment, get a sense of humour or go back to America...

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

this is the new track. the storm has moved more to the south.

Captghfure.JPG

Nobody has mentioned Phuket but they will be in trouble also,i am near cha-am and for me it is a good thing it is turning south.Earlier predictions showed it going straight north and hitting Bangkok .

20 mm ok but 300 will create a huge mess.I hope the government is ready to help the poor people who are exposed to this storm.

1 hour ago, puukao said:

that's NOT a storm.  Try 1,000 km/h winds with 900 cm of rain in a day in the middle of an exploding volcano while being hit with lightning.  

I might be 10,000 kms from the storm, but i wish i was there to go swimming at midnight and fight sharks while trolling. 

Man,that's sounds like some days iv'e had.

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I started to wonder the same yesterday. I'm out of my depth, but wondering how nature works is fun. Could other atmospheric reasons make tropical storm effects stronger than winter storms up north?

- Tropical storms are warmer and warmer air can hold more moisture inside the air. This make the air itself heavier and therefore moving warm air momentum is greater than cold dry airs is.

- Tropical storms bring heavy rains, which increase the force of the winds. This this pointing your own face with hair dryer and water hose. The force difference is significant. 

Well, I have read it in German Forums, on a Dutch site and now here.... never saw so many warnings about a storm coming to Thailand. Probably a lot of poor people's houses will be blown away by that storm. But when I talk to Thai people about it, they don't seem to bother... I live a bit south of Hua Hin but north of Pranburi... I think the only thing we should be concerned about is the loss of electricity and heavy rain. 

I already walked in a typhoon in Japan and enjoyed the "bad" wether... Hopefully it will be not so bad...

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Captghfure.JPG

That's not good at all.. where do you find this projection?

29 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Captghfure.JPG

This would meen that we could get a little bit more than expected here in Songkhla province, so i am charging the batteries of my flashlihts..

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I have been in a category 1 (100 km/h winds) cyclone in Darwin. The wind sounded like jet planes taking off constantly. Was living in a caravan at the time so doubt if you would know the difference between 100 & 90 km/h wind & rain.

I hope Samui does not lose its electricity for too long as there a friends there.

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Yes 65 to 90 km is just a slight breeze 

59 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

It depends on what is a strong deviation from the expected norm. People were crying and falling down dead in the UK and Europe when they suffered a "heat wave" that was no more than a normal hot season here.

Heatwave in UK ? Try Marbel Bar in WA 46.3 degrees for days on end 

8 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I have been in a category 1 (100 km/h winds) cyclone in Darwin. The wind sounded like jet planes taking off constantly. Was living in a caravan at the time so doubt if you would know the difference between 100 & 90 km/h wind & rain.

I hope Samui does not lose its electricity for too long as there a friends there.

Not a drop of rain or hardly a breeze in samui.

Yesterday it was end of the world approaching in samui on Facebook and today hardly one comment !!

Archived