Non Immigrant Visa (o)

Non immigrant visa (o) to retired persons under 50 year old is not on the program to retired persons after the new visa-law from okt. 2006.

I been moving to Thailand and living here 2 years as a retired person under 50 years. The give me new visa, this year – but i don’t know what/if i go next year. Very bad to my life – not to know. (better tell me to go now so i not lose more money. You not get next year…

Then i find another country where i go with me pension money and live in peace. Last 2 year i have spend more then 60.000 us$ in Thailand. I not want to go, but, not my country. If they will not have a retired person with a income on 70.000 us$ a year. A retired person not been in contact with police (not drinking, not taking drug)

What can i do…

When i chose Thailand to live in i did it because there was stability an it was possible to me with non-immigrant visa "O". Others, including dependents and retired persons.

My mistake, I am sorry.

Changes in immigration laws can have very negative results for some people. And I believe many people are hurt by the new immigration law.

But let's look at it this way:

The number of countries that allows people to stay there without having any valid reason is very small. I don't think that only having money is a "good" reason. And even the number of countries that allow people to stay there just because they are old is also very small.

So, Thailand is not being unreasonable, the opposite is true: Thailand today has a very liberal and flexible visa policy for retired people (compared to other countries).

Thailand has to draw the line somewhere, they drew it at the age of 50, which I think, is already young to retire.

Nevertheless, I feel sorry for you. I assume you're not married to a Thai person. You could stay in Thailand based on tourist visas. You'll need to go to a neigbour country every 3 months and apply for a tourist visa over there. And you'll need to go to the immigration office every time to get a 30 day extention. If you do this until 50, you can switch to a retirement visa then.