I'm the daughter of a Thai national. Anyone have experience getting a visa with a Thai parent?

Hi all, I'm currently staying in Bangkok and hold a UK passport. My mother holds both a Thai and English passport and lives in England with my English father. I understand I'm able to get a year-long visa being the daughter of a Thai national. Can anyone who's done this explain if this is correct and what I need to do do get this?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Your best option would be to apply for a 1 year extension as a Thai national in your own right. Especially if your mother is not living in Thailand; and you must be under 20 to apply as the child of a Thai. You would need to prove your Thai nationality with a birth certificate and probably copies of your mothers Thai ID/passport.

2.23 In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) Must have evidence that the applicant used to have Thai nationality or that his her parent is or was of Thai nationality.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a one year extension at immigration. You will need to proof your mother is Thai.

Do you have a Thai birth certificate. If not your UK birth certificate and proof she is Thai would be accepted.

Hi ubonjoe, thanks for responding. I have a printed copy of my English birth certificate. I took this to the Chaeng Wattana immigration office along with a printed copy of my mum's Thai passport, but I was told that this wasn't enough. From what I could gather, it seems that I need to have some documents translated and verified somewhere ????

Do you know exactly which documents I need as proof that she is Thai?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She is Thai from birth she does have to apply for citizenship,

Actually no, typo on my behalf which I’ve just changed.

She still does need to get a birth certificate issued by the Thai embassy in the UK (assuming that is where she was born) to get the process going. Following that she can get registered on the house registry, get a Thai ID and then a Thai passport. 

9 minutes ago, jrobinson909 said:

Hi ubonjoe, thanks for responding. I have a printed copy of my English birth certificate. I took this to the Chaeng Wattana immigration office along with a printed copy of my mum's Thai passport, but I was told that this wasn't enough. From what I could gather, it seems that I need to have some documents translated and verified somewhere ????I

Do you know exactly which documents I need as proof that she is Thai?

I think they want to see your original birth certificate legalized by the registrars office in the UK and the Thai embassy in London.

Not sure what would need to be translated since immigration normally accepts document in English.

There is info about the legalization here.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

If you parents had registered your birth at the Thai embassy in London to get you a Thai birth certificate it would made things much easier for you,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weddings Parties Anything said:

She still does need to get a birth certificate issued by the Thai embassy in the UK (assuming that is where she was born) to get the process going. Following that she can get registered on the house registry, get a Thai ID and then a Thai passport. 

I am aware of that but it is not needed for applying for an extension as a Thai national.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am aware of that but it is not needed for applying for an extension as a Thai national.

She could use her own Thai embassy issued Thai BC as proof of her citizenship and they should be able to provide her an extension based on that. 

In the mean time she could get the ID and Thai passport card sorted. 

4 minutes ago, Weddings Parties Anything said:

She could use her own Thai embassy issued Thai BC as proof of her citizenship and they should be able to provide her an extension based on that. 

She is here already so that would be difficult for her to get done at the embassy in London. Here parents have to be involved to get the birth certificate.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She is here already so that would be difficult for her to get done at the embassy in London. Here parents have to be involved to get the birth certificate.

She can liaise with the embassy in London via the Department of Consular Affairs in Chaeng Wattana.

I suspect the parents are going to have to get involved in any case. The embassy is likely to want to cite original evedience from her mother regarding her mums Thai passport. 

While her mum is at the embassy, she could potential get the ball rolling for a thai BC for her daughter. 

Are you going back to the UK? You should be able to get a Thai passport from the London Embassy. Then do the ID card the next time you (and mum) are over in Thailand.

Kick off with getting the Thai birth cert first, as suggested...

The daughter's mother and I had to turn-up at the Embassy at Queens Gate London, with the Daughter (I think she was about 15, when we she got hers). 

If the parents have been married before, proof of any previous divorce required etc etc...

Can't really help with the in Thailand situation, sorry.

Edited by johnwf1963

Thanks for all the responses everyone. As mentioned, I am currently staying in Bangkok, so dealing with the embassy in London personally is not a possibility. My parents are able to scan and email documents to me, but when I applied at Chaeng Wattana. I also only have a UK birth certificate and not a Thai one.

I'm not sure why the documents I took when I applied weren't sufficient. They seemed to suggest that they would be accepted if I took them to the province my mum lived in before she moved to England, which is Samut Sakhon. Does anyone who has had experience doing this before know exactly which documents would suffice as proof?

12 minutes ago, jrobinson909 said:

Does anyone who has had experience doing this before know exactly which documents would suffice as proof?

Requirements vary depending on to which office you go, with who you talk and may even vary from day to day, so your only way to get a definitive answer is to personally ask them.

Are you going back to the UK? You should be able to get a Thai passport from the London Embassy. Then do the ID card the next time you (and mum) are over in Thailand.

Kick off with getting the Thai birth cert first, as suggested...

The daughter's mother and I had to turn-up at the Embassy at Queens Gate London, with the Daughter (I think she was about 15, when we she got hers). 
 lop
If the parents have been married before, proof of any previous divorce required etc etc...

There is also a form, for agreement to use Surname, I think I had to do that one to agree the daughter could use my name in her Thai passport.

What part of the UK to you come from, the RTE mobile section visit various parts of the UK, I know they come up to Edinburgh sometimes, sure they could help...

Can't really help with the in Thailand situation, sorry.

The other thing is, how good is your Thai, I have to arrange help for the Thai forms for the Daughter as UK born, and mainly Scottish! (Whereas the Son is Thai born and mainly Thai with the UK passport).

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82040-Application-Forms.html

(Sorry ran out of edit time mod..)

30 minutes ago, jrobinson909 said:

They seemed to suggest that they would be accepted if I took them to the province my mum lived in before she moved to England, which is Samut Sakhon.

That would probably be getting a printout of her registry at the Amphoe that gives the same info as a house book would.

• Like 1

Is your UK birth certificate the original short version or the extended one? (with parents names included). I know when we did Thai nationality for our son years ago that the Thai's would not accept the original short version so we had to get the longer version with parents names on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrobinson909 said:

Thanks for all the responses everyone. As mentioned, I am currently staying in Bangkok, so dealing with the embassy in London personally is not a possibility. My parents are able to scan and email documents to me, but when I applied at Chaeng Wattana. I also only have a UK birth certificate and not a Thai one.

I'm not sure why the documents I took when I applied weren't sufficient. They seemed to suggest that they would be accepted if I took them to the province my mum lived in before she moved to England, which is Samut Sakhon. Does anyone who has had experience doing this before know exactly which documents would suffice as proof?

You can deal with the embassy in London from Thailand.

You do this via the Deparment of Consular Affairs, which is a building located about 150 m down Chaenwattana Rd from the government complex where you are currently dealing with immigration. Go to the second floor and there is department there which deals with the embassies overseas for issues which need their input. It is the same building where Thai passports are issued. 

Personally, I think the path of least resistance for you is to organise, the the Department of Consular Affairs, for your Thai birth certificate to be issued via the embassy in London.

Edited by Weddings Parties Anything
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help everyone, seems like it will be a bureaucratic nightmare; I'm considering trying to get an education visa instead as it may be easier. 

However, it can't hurt to try WPA's suggestion of trying to liaise with the London embassy initially. I will post the results!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jrobinson909 said:

Thanks for the help everyone, seems like it will be a bureaucratic nightmare; I'm considering trying to get an education visa instead as it may be easier. 

However, it can't hurt to try WPA's suggestion of trying to liaise with the London embassy initially. I will post the results!

As a dual citizen myself, your life will been infinitely easier and more productive if you are here as a Thai citizen.

Your parents should be able to get the birth certificate for you in the UK, so their involvement will be needed.