Security In Bangkok To Be Tightened

george

Thai V Thai...........what amazes me that people in this day and age seem to learn nothing from places like Israel/Palestine, Iraq etc.

Innocent people are dying every day in these places for what?

How much brains does it take to work out that Mr and Mrs Average Thai have no desire to start killing each other.

The <deleted> in charge should get round a table and sort out there differences like adults not a bunch of power mad morons

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>the 2 north eastern most states in malaysia - Kelantan and Trenganu practise quite strict islam with girls being stoned for not wearing head scarfs or too shorter skirts

This is definitely not the case. No one gets stoned in Malaysia. There is definitely a firmer application of Islamic law in those areas, but its not such a brutal place as that.

>>> that is, that the southern-most states were not only never part of Malaysia, but actually that parts of northern Malaysia were originally Thai (Siam).

Can anyone confirm this ?

This is true. The state of Kedah in particular was ceded by Siam to the British. In the same treaty Britain 'gave' control of Pattani and the other southern states to Siam, and this has been a big cause of the peoblems, because many in the southern states don't believe the British had this right at the time. Malaysia did not exist until the 1960s, so there is no way they have ever 'had' these areas.

Don't be so sure about that, I met some people who were definately stoned. :o

And they payed alot for it !

>>>the 2 north eastern most states in malaysia - Kelantan and Trenganu practise quite strict islam with girls being stoned for not wearing head scarfs or too shorter skirts

This is definitely not the case. No one gets stoned in Malaysia. There is definitely a firmer application of Islamic law in those areas, but its not such a brutal place as that.

>>> that is, that the southern-most states were not only never part of Malaysia, but actually that parts of northern Malaysia were originally Thai (Siam).

This is true. The state of Kedah in particular was ceded by Siam to the British. In the same treaty Britain 'gave' control of Pattani and the other southern states to Siam, and this has been a big cause of the peoblems, because many in the southern states don't believe the British had this right at the time. Malaysia did not exist until the 1960s, so there is no way they have ever 'had' these areas.

Ok malaya then !

If the 3 southern thai states were thai all along how come the inhabitants have great problems speaking thai ? Because they were part of malaya (or whatever) it was called !

No one gets stoned in malaysia - I know Bumiputra in malaysia who get news on the grapevine (not what is published in the state controlled media). Beleive what you like - trenganu and kelantan are islamic states (practice sharia law) and malaysian islamic party strongholds (for get the name of the party) - read the straigts times or the other malaysian english language newspaper and you will see what happens in these states and what the religous police do there and over in perlis and kedah to a degree, which is on the more moderate side. Still in penang, which is chinese predominantly and chinese run, the usual vices are available.

Please prove me wrong !

I think basically the southern states were a separate malay Kingdom that was paying homage to the Siamese King. So they weren't Thai speaking, but they were part of the Thai orbit. They were never part of Malaya though, because they were not run by the British. PAS is the name of the party, and yeah, I suppose you are right that stuff would happen and you wouldn't read about it in the government papers, but stoning certainly isn't policy. I think such things may have been passed at a state level but blocked federally.

This could also be part of a program to increase the perceived level of fear in the population. If they can make people afraid of 'terrorist attacks', the current government will have the excuse to remain in power and not revert to a civilian government. They will have to power to do whatever is necessary to protect the Kingdom from a terrible threat.

This sounds very familiar to those of us still living in the good old USA!

:o

Indeed, the new Gov't. here has learned well from Dubblya, Wag the Dog!

This could also be part of a program to increase the perceived level of fear in the population. If they can make people afraid of 'terrorist attacks', the current government will have the excuse to remain in power and not revert to a civilian government. They will have to power to do whatever is necessary to protect the Kingdom from a terrible threat.

Indeed, the new Gov't. here has learned well from Dubblya, Wag the Dog!

The next step will be color coded terror alerts broadcast daily, keep the population scared, it buys lots of time and votes.

Security in Bangkok to be tightened

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin warned directors of 50 districts in Bangkok of possible insurgents' attacks in the capital in an urgent letter distributed on Wednesday.

Mr Apirak told the directors to work with police and soldiers to prevent insurgents' attacks, especially at crowded places like department stores, skytrain and subway stations.

He said security measures to be stepped up in Bangkok around the clock to guarantee safety to the Bangkokians.

Public are also urged to help authorities and inform them if they see or know something suspicious.

Mr Apirak's action came after rumours circulated that insurgents planned to stage violent activities again on Friday.

Insurgents staged a spate of bombings and arson in the southernmost provinces on Sunday night, killing seven people and hurting more than 50 others.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-02-21

They're not "insurgents". They're Muslims.

Virgil, Out!

Thai V Thai...........what amazes me that people in this day and age seem to learn nothing from places like Israel/Palestine, Iraq etc.

Innocent people are dying every day in these places for what?

How much brains does it take to work out that Mr and Mrs Average Thai have no desire to start killing each other.

The <deleted> in charge should get round a table and sort out there differences like adults not a bunch of power mad morons

TOTALLY agree Greenman, the <deleted> shud get their fingers out and get it sorted. Do they think they have a certificate of eternity in their back pockets and their 'power' is really THAT important.

One day, as like all of us, they will breathe their last. There are FAR too many, the world over, breathing their last far sooner than they should.

So much for humanity and decency, and I don't give a frig about all the 'tribal', 'ethnic', 'religious' arguments, they all sound like boolsheet to me.

You wanna have a beer and a meal with me?....fine, do I give a rats what God you believe in?...Nope. Are you a decent, friendly human being, trying to do your best?..then come and join me if you are.

What time I have left I wanna enjoy, not worry about bombs, bullets and boolsheet.

Jesus!!!...it's got me stuffed...all this senseless dribble just seems to go on an on and on..whilst people keep dying before their time.

Cya.

Big Paulee.

Virgil, Out!

Aside from religious bigotry being against forum rules, your comment shows not only a lack of knowledge of the particular situation at hand, but also does a huge disservice to the other one billion+ Muslims who aren't behaving the way you seem to think they do.

1. maybe the current government is behind this, fear keeping them in seat

2. maybe taksin is behind this, so current government can be critised for being incompetent (maybe he can come back..)

3. maybe malaysia behind this

4. maybe just some southern people behind this

5. maybe the west behind this, so to get the thais into the nwo

6. maybe isreal behind so to make muslims bad

7. maybe

8. mayb

9. may

10.ma

11.mama!!

Virgil, Out!

Aside from religious bigotry being against forum rules, your comment shows not only a lack of knowledge of the particular situation at hand, but also does a huge disservice to the other one billion+ Muslims who aren't behaving the way you seem to think they do.

Meerkat,

stating the obvious does not make someone a bigot. I don't hear about Buddhist people cutting people heads off. Nobody is saying this is the way of ALL Muslims.

Just for your own interest, google "terrorist groups" and check out the lists that are available from the resulting page.

Facts, not Emotion.

Yes very possible scenario.

And it sounds very familiar in the old IRA days in London too..The enemy within..we must unite to fight..

However as others have noted..do we even know who did the New Year bombings?

Security in Bangkok to be tightened

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin warned directors of 50 districts in Bangkok of possible insurgents' attacks in the capital in an urgent letter distributed on Wednesday.

Mr Apirak told the directors to work with police and soldiers to prevent insurgents' attacks, especially at crowded places like department stores, skytrain and subway stations.

He said security measures to be stepped up in Bangkok around the clock to guarantee safety to the Bangkokians.

Public are also urged to help authorities and inform them if they see or know something suspicious.

Mr Apirak's action came after rumours circulated that insurgents planned to stage violent activities again on Friday.

Insurgents staged a spate of bombings and arson in the southernmost provinces on Sunday night, killing seven people and hurting more than 50 others.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-02-21

There's only one good thing or two thay may come out of more bombings in Bangkok....blow up those freaking goddamned advertising TVs and speakers in the skytrains and on the platforms. And while they are at it, blow up any other loud and obnoxious noise pollution creators in this town. anyone notice how freaking loud and intrusive this town is?

Other than that, this city is paradise..................NOT!

yep - and if you go back further you may finf that the thais invaded what was malaya and took the southern most states from malaya - sale as isaan was taken from laos - ask an old isaan person if they are thai or lao - ask an old patani muslim person if they are thai or malay (or buggist) and see what reply you get - but i wouldnt do the latter as taking farangs hostage and then beheading them has worked well elsewhere...

While I do not know who possesed what first, and when...I do know a great many "Old Isaan" People very well. I have never heard a single one of them ever speak of being Laotian. Most of the "Old Isaan" people that I know, would highly offended if you refered to them as "Laos". I have lived on the Thai/Loas border for over 6 years straight, and speak both Thai and Isaan dialect fluently. In all this time, Ive yet to meet a Thai who considered him/herself Laos. As far as the southern border goes, well, I'm ignorant to the facts. I would imagine though, that like any border, in any country or State, for that matter, you have crosscultural and language enfluences. Take the southern border of Texas with Mexico. On both sides of the border you have strong enfluences of both countries(US and Mex.). During my years in Nivelles, Belgium(close to the french border) I noticed great similarities between the French and the Belgians. Good luck getting a Belgium to say that they were actually French. One thing all of the Borders have in common is that they all took a piece of the Pie from someone at some point. I was not living during the formation of what is now Thailand, and have little faith in the Thai history books, so I am just going to have to chalk it up to who ever was stronger at the time, took the slice. There is a great deal of seperation between the south and the Capital, so you would have to assume that they feel a bit more connected to their neighbors on the border, but that does not make them Malay. If you raised a cat in a house full of dogs, never to have contact with another cat, would the cat feel moe at home with the dogs or the cats? Sadly to say, most of them are probably not educated enough to even know why they are Muslim. Unfortunatly, there are those that take advantage of the ignorance of the masses, and use it to do their ill will.

BREAKING NEWS

Boonrawd: Attacks in Bangkok possible

(BangkokPost.com)

Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas warned Thursday that Muslim insurgents from the deep South might expand their attacks to Bangkok.
BREAKING NEWS

PM: Govt to prevent violence in Bangkok

(BangkokPost.com)

The government was trying to prevent the spreading of violence in the South to Bangkok, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont told reporters during his fourth official meeting with the media at the Government House Thursday.

:D

Yes very possible scenario.

And it sounds very familiar in the old IRA days in London too..The enemy within..we must unite to fight..

However as others have noted..do we even know who did the New Year bombings?

:D some one that looks like this

i gotta believe that malaysia is secretly funding and training these groups, it is to their advantage.

These Malaysians do not have handle on the extremist chaps. This is the same in Pakistan, Indonesi and Malaysia. Do not forget these guys are brother Muslims and there are elemants in the govt or its forces who condone these acts...not openly The govt issues edits that they are afterv these guys just to claim they are anti..just listen to the Mahatir guy...he constantly spews out venom...just like Bush in a way. NO sanity..sadly the innocent suffer and pay a price for these idiots.ex Malaysian

OK First lets clear up what may be a misunderstanding...Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin is the governor of Bangkok...nothing to do with the present or past Thailand government. He is a LOCAL governor. He is reacting to perceived threats and in the light of the New Year bombings, what he is asking is completely understandable and reasonable. If this was any other country in the world and the governor of a particular region did the same, it would, and should, be considerd as a move by a responsible administration. This is Thailand, so for some reason people seem to take pot-shots at everything that is done. If you don't think it is reasonable, then contact the government with your appraisal...simple!

As for see-through rubbish bins...at least it's something of a step in the right direction...the alternative is maybe to build underground bomb-proof rubbish containers at every street corner...but I suspect fault would soon be found with that idea too...especially here...

OK...lets see... the bombs must be labelled clearly in English, Thai and FARSI???? Why? If the insurgents are from Malaysia, then I would think Bhasa Malayu. Farsi is the language spoken in Iran a far as I know, it is not the same as Arabic spoken in other parts of the Middle East. I may be wrong in that, but Arabic friends of mine tell me this, so I can only accept what they say - I lived and/or worked in Saudi Arabia, UAE and Lebanon for a total of about 4 years.

Thaksin was right eh? You prefer his administration, the rampant corruption, the anti-farang stance taken by his government, and all that went with it...the legacy of which will haunt the Kingdom for years? Great idea!

I have to agree with Britmaveric in his criticism of the idea that it is part of a plan to increase perceived levels of fear... this is not alfoil hat territory..we are experiencing these things. The governor ordering the security forces to increase the level of checks etc to try to improve security is all about trying to put peoples minds at rest that the government of Bangkok (not Sonthi's government as many seem confused about who belongs to which) is doing something at least, or is trying, or is appearing to do something...better than just sitting back and not saying anything...which would you prefer? The point is that if you let the terrorists know that you have improved security...even if only a little...it may help discourage at least some of their planned activity..even if it helps to prevent ONE bomb or other act...it has done it's job or at the very least it has helped.

Galong is exactly right in criticising the unfounded accusations aimed at Malaysia...I don't particularly like the place (maybe because the last time I worked there it was controlled by Mahathir and was unfriendly to westerners) and I can't stand the food, but I am sure they are as unhappy as we are about the fundamentalist nutters and what is going on. They know they will cop some of the flak of course too, but this is unfair, as is the accusation that all Muslims are to blame. Were all Christians to blame when America was funding the fundamentalist nutters in Northern Ireland? No! I am not Christian, neither am I Muslim...my belief system is simple..."Do to others as you would have them do to you." it sounds Christian, but it is not...it is way more basic than that...but this is another issue, so lets not go there now.

Ozziepaul is also right...live and let live...good motto mate!

Regarding the states of Patani etc have a read of Wikepedia via this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattani_(region) it gives a bottled history and is very informative. I actually do think that Thailand should simply give those states to Malaysia and then close the border to those states. The unfortunate part is that there are a lot of people who live there who do not want to be part of Malaysia. If neither country were to want them, then simply close ALL borders and let them have their independence...but with no assistance from Thailand or Malaysia at all - OK this is being childish...withdrawn...

By the way...if you were wondering... people of ethnic Malay parentage (not including the Orang Asli though as far as I know) are AUTOMATICALLY Muslim - no choice. I am not sure though how this works with those in Sabah and Sarawak, as there are a lot of local Malay Christians there - so maybe there is a different rule or something on the islands.

As for ASKING bombers to blow up things in Bangkok at all...that is not funny... I know you were kidding, but the nutters don't.

There is of course far too much noise polution in Thailand in general...but again...that is another issue for another forum topic.

...anyway... bombs ARE noisy too....

A good thread... "You've all done very well!" :o

Edited by Greer

Yeah - actually large parts of China, all of Laos, much of Cambodia, parts of Vietnam, India, Malaysia and Indonesia and large parts of Burma have at different times been ruled by the Thais.

There was some small separate Islamic principalities in those Southern regions at times. But who cares. The Mon once ruled much of Thailand. As did the Lawa people. The Shan at times owned much of the North. Lanna was a separate Kingdom. Isaan was at a time part of Laos, which was a part of Lanna. The Khmer ruled large parts of Thailand.

This is all irrelevant now.

Clearly this violent lunatics in the South couldn't run their own country.

Anyway, it is all very sad and I'll be very happy when it is finally over.

Also the three southern most states want independence of Malaysia and Thailand - Malaysia is probably worried that if Thailand gives them back to Malaysia there will be a big rise in islamic fundamentalism in the enlargened Malaysia - the 2 north eastern most states in malaysia - Kelantan and Trenganu practise quite strict islam with girls being stoned for not wearing head scarfs or too shorter skirts -

It is my undertsanding, after reading a book (sorry, can't remember the title) that dealt with the history of southern Thailand, that the reverse situation was actually the case - that is, that the sourthern-most states were not only never part of Malaysia, but actually that parts of northern Malaysia were originally Thai (Siam).

Can anyone cofirm this ?

In Kelantan, I have also read (though have not seen first hand) that (some?) supermarkets have separate check-outs for men and women, to avoid close proximity (which I believe is called kalwat, but I may be mistaken there).

Cheers,

Mike

Move those who want to live in Thailand a bit more north (the country is big enough), cut the 3 provinces from Thai territory, shut the borders, no visa, no entry into Thailand, and no commercial deals, no electricity, no oil, no fuel, no rice from Thailand, no Lotus no Big C. Let them do it all by themselves.

Move those who want to live in Thailand a bit more north (the country is big enough), cut the 3 provinces from Thai territory, shut the borders, no visa, no entry into Thailand, and no commercial deals, no electricity, no oil, no fuel, no rice from Thailand, no Lotus no Big C. Let them do it all by themselves.

Essentially you are suggesting acquiescing to the demands of the terrorists who may not even represent anything close to the majority of the local populations. Not going to happen. Especially under a military government.

Yeah - actually large parts of China, all of Laos, much of Cambodia, parts of Vietnam, India, Malaysia and Indonesia and large parts of Burma have at different times been ruled by the Thais.

There was some small separate Islamic principalities in those Southern regions at times. But who cares. The Mon once ruled much of Thailand. As did the Lawa people. The Shan at times owned much of the North. Lanna was a separate Kingdom. Isaan was at a time part of Laos, which was a part of Lanna. The Khmer ruled large parts of Thailand.

theer's a story that one of the 4 queens (can't remember which one) was legendarily voracious and kept a Portuguese??? missionary enchained naked and fed on raw red meat and opium so that he would be able to service her several times every day...when you think about it like that, Pattani doesn't sound so bad??

Essentially you are suggesting acquiescing to the demands of the terrorists who may not even represent anything close to the majority of the local populations. Not going to happen. Especially under a military government.

Of course this will not happen - under any government. It is just a thought that went throug my mind.

I have no idea who was behind the attacks/ongoing violence. But - hey - here's a great story don't you think, ya know for a novel..not real life..Copyright@ThaiGene2-2007

"...Cadet-Lt. Kasem was so proud. Humble beginnings in the deep south of Thailand and a great tutor at cadet academy, he was cleary destined to go places. Kasem prided himself in his appearance and his ability to defeat the sceptics who said Muslims had no place in the armed forces. He liked to watch his image as he marched past the shop windows on Phahon Yothin Road. His tall lanky body in the brown uniform, his black brief-case, and the cookie-cutter hat and ring..it made him feel special.

When he was asked to place hand-grenades in crowded areas to rid his country of 'resistance elements' he was more than happy to perfom his duty. Even if this was not a sanctioned order. He was told 'others' would be blamed. It would happen on New Year's Eve - a relief that for a change not 'muslims' but 'others' would be blamed. He tried not to think of the human consequences. It would mean taking a risk and leaving is beloved wife alone and his baby daughter on this special night.

When his task was completed he called his "tutor". No answer.

Kasem received a text message. "leave immediately. do not return until instructed. your family will be cared for.'

Two months went by. He eventually gave in and called his wife. There had been no financial assistance. The baby was sick -and where was he?

It was now Chinese New Year's Eve. Kasem called the Pooyai again - a Lt General - no answer.

The party had just begun, Lt Genaral Chavalit Suthikornbackontriporn's daughter had just begun to sing with the (very expensive) filipino back-up band singing and providing the music. The phone rang - Chavalit recognised the number. He put the phone down and clapped as his (overweight) daughter began to croon..."

Kasem knew at this moment he was in trouble. He was not a member of the Gwang Xi clan - and never was. How could he be so stupid.

Stay tuned for chapter 2.

Edited by thaigene2

i gotta believe that malaysia is secretly funding and training these groups, it is to their advantage.

The new Malaysian prime minister (Abdullah Badawi?) is alot more pro western than Mahatir Mohamad.

Also the three southern most states want independence of Malaysia and Thailand - Malaysia is probably worried that if Thailand gives them back to Malaysia there will be a big rise in islamic fundamentalism in the enlargened Malaysia - the 2 north eastern most states in malaysia - Kelantan and Trenganu practise quite strict islam with girls being stoned for not wearing head scarfs or too shorter skirts - and the religous police are quite active there for muslim men with thai muslim girlfiends and polygamy without the first wive's approval !

The movements behind this have their own websites if you want to read about them directly and not how it is reported in the "approved" press, but they may not be viewable from within thailand !

But I beleive there are strong links between north east malaysia and the middle east.

Now this is a very sensible argument, looking at the current situation in Ivory Coast, Somalia and Chad (regions that I am more familiar with than SE Asia) and without mentioning groups like HZBLA in Lebanon. Who is backing who? Global attacks on non Islamic regimes all over the world, especially those that are already corrupt, disorganised, unstable, with in fighting. If a country like Thailand wants to remain, in the tradition of being free, better get their act together and fast! (I am in no way implying that the Thai government past or present is any of the aforementioned). It is a new menace, a global one! (like global warming, it affects everyone)

Consider the following from Bangkok Post Breaking News.

Interior Minister Aree Wong-araya confirmed this morning that a security alert had been issued for Bangkok - but claimed it was "irrelevant" to the violence in the South.

Ministry intelligence units have the same information as the military of possible attacks in Bangkok, he said. He also warned provinces across the country, not only Bangkok, to be alert of violent situations at all times.

But he said the "rumour" of possible attacks in Bangkok on Friday have no connection to the southern unrest. He gave no other details.

Mr Aree's remarks contradicted Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas, who said on Thursday that Muslim insurgents from the deep South might expand their attacks to Bangkok.

"It is possible that the insurgents will expand their attacks to Bangkok, because we have learned of their movements in various universities where they conceal themselves in uniforms of students," he said.

The defence minister added that it was difficult for authorities to differentiate between the separatists and innocent people.

Does anyone has the slightest bit of confidence that the present administration has a fcukin' clue what is going on?

So there might, possibly, just maybe, be a chance of a violent incident that could, under certain circumstances, be attributed to either the southern insurgents or some other dark forces working within Thailand or not as the case may be.

Ummm...

Has anyone been to Northern Malaysia recently? They look to me to be running headlong into money; Western European and USA money; errr ummm, not religious fanaticism.

There is no doubt whatsoever, in my alleged mind, that there are Islamic extremists organizing and operating out of Malaysia. Yes. But does the Malaysian govt. support or allow the activity? I bloody well think not, there is far too much of that modern goodness to lose now. Malaysians are getting very comfy with the nice fit of those shiny new shoes, and they aren't giving them back.

Can anyone spell M O T O R O L A ? Or how about I N T E L ? The normalization and spread of money across the entirety of Western Malaysia has generated the effect that the Muslim population had hoped for, the balancing of Chinese urban control.

Now, even the hint of Malaysian terrorist support is going to get people hanged, or shoved before a firing squad. Watch. Malaysia is NOT a 3rd world country. It is NOTHING LIKE THAILAND. Hello? Things have changed since the last go round with blanketed trials and hidden agendas. Malaysia is not going there any more.

Now, on the other hand, BKK is an easy target. Pure and simple. Planes, trains, and automobiles. Too many to control. And, no I certainly don't think this is a case of the BKK Governor whistling for the dobermans just to chase ghosts for fun and profit. The situation is real.

Thailand is in trouble, al Qaeda has been able to penetrate and manipulate local Southern Thailand Islamic grievances since 1998. The seeds were planted a long time ago, and the fruit is ripening today.

UK Embassy and Oz Embassy issued warnings for today Friday 23rd with regard to Shopping Centres and SkyTrain and Subway

International schools also issued letter to students for parents.

This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security: Terrorism (possible attacks in Bangkok on 23 February 2007). The overall level of the advice has not changed.

Summary

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high threat of terrorist attack. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners. Reports indicate possible bombing attacks at crowded places such as department stores, and sky-train and subway stations in Bangkok on Friday 23 February 2007.

Australia gives Bangkok bombing alert

Australia has warned its citizens of possible bombs in Bangkok today, but other foreign countries have not issued travel warnings.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade warned on its website:

"We advise [Australian citizens] to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high threat of terrorist attack. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners.

"Reports indicate possible bombing attacks at crowded places such as department stores, and sky-train and subway stations in Bangkok on Friday 23 February 2007."

The Australian caution was apparently an extension of statements by the Thai ministers of defence and interior, who made similar warnings.

http://www.bangkokpost.co.th/breaking_news...s.php?id=117010