Trump expects second Kim meeting in 'not-too-distant future'

snoop1130

Trump expects second Kim meeting in 'not-too-distant future'

By Jeff Mason and David Brunnstrom

800x800 (1).jpg

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un shake hands after signing documents during a summit at the Capella Hotel on the resort island of Sentosa, Singapore June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he had received a "great" letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and would probably meet him again in the not-too-distant future as part of efforts to persuade him to give up his nuclear weapons.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump defended stuttering U.S. negotiations with Kim, saying that if it had not been for his administration "you'd be having a nice big fat war in Asia." He reiterated that there was no hurry.

"I'm not in any rush. I don't have to rush. All I know is there's no rockets, there’s no testing," he said, referring to North Korea's nuclear and missile tests that have been halted since the second half of 2017.

Trump said he had watched coverage of Kim's New Year speech on the U.S. Public Broadcasting Service.

"They said that in Chairman Kim’s speech he really wants to get together, he wants to denuclearize and a lot of good things are happening," Trump said.

"They really do want to do something. Now, does that mean it’s going to be done? Who knows? A deal's a deal, you never know, but I tell you, we've established a very good relationship with North Korea."

"We'll probably now have another meeting. He'd like to meet, I'd like to meet," Trump said. "We'll set that up, we'll be setting that up in the not-too-distant future."

Kim vowed to work towards denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula when he met Trump for the first time at a summit in Singapore in June, but there has been little concrete progress since.

Kim said in a nationally televised New Year address on Tuesday that he was ready to meet again with Trump anytime, but warned he may take a "new path" if U.S. sanctions and pressure continued.

Trump, who in 2017 threatened to rain "fire and fury like the world has never seen" on North Korea because of the threat its nuclear weapons and missiles posed to the United States, said a world war had been averted.

"That was going to be a war - there could have been a World War Three to be honest with you ... And instead, we have somebody who I really think wants to get on to economic development and making a lot of success and money, frankly, for his country."

Trump said North Korea had "tremendous" potential, and added: "We'll help them out too."

On Monday, South Korea's Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported that Kim had sent a message to Trump regarding the stalled nuclear talks. The report did not include details about the "letter-like" communication.

Trump told reporters on Wednesday the letter was "great" and that he would love to read it out loud, but did not do so.

Trump has said previously that a second summit with Kim was likely in January or February, though he wrote on Twitter last month he was "in no hurry."

'SINISTER INTENTION'

In his address on Tuesday, Kim said denuclearization was his "firm will" and North Korea had "declared at home and abroad that we would neither make and test nuclear weapons any longer nor use and proliferate them."

However, he warned that North Korea might be "compelled to explore a new path" to defend its sovereignty if the United States "seeks to force something upon us unilaterally ... and remains unchanged in its sanctions and pressure."

In spite of Trump's words, Kim's comments have fuelled doubts over whether North Korea intends to give up a nuclear weapons programme it has long considered essential to its security.

Analysts said Kim's message sent clear signals that North Korea, which has sought acceptance as a "responsible" nuclear power, was willing to stay in talks with Washington and Seoul this year - but on its own terms.

North Korea’s main state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper said in a commentary on Thursday last year saw "wonderful changes" and "great movements" in North Korea's relations with the South Korea and the United States, but progress in inter-Korean relations were “locked up in stagnation” because of U.S policies.

"The U.S. still remains unchanged in the policy hostile towards the DPRK," the paper wrote, using the initials of North Korea’s official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The paper accused the United States of having a "a sinister intention to deprive the DPRK of its nuclear weapons and bring it to its knees without goodwill to build a new, good relationship with the DPRK".

"The U.S. is urged to do what it should do for the improvement of the DPRK-U.S. relations, not making useless admonition while meddling in the issue of north-south relations, an internal issue of the Korean nation," it said.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made several trips to Pyongyang last year but the two sides have yet to reschedule an abruptly cancelled November meeting between him and senior North Korean official Kim Yong Chol aimed at paving the way for a second summit.

As well as demanding a lifting of sanctions, Pyongyang has been seeking an official end to the 1950-1953 Korean War in response to its initial, unilateral steps that have included dismantling its only known nuclear testing site and a missile engine facility.

U.S. officials have said the extent of initial North Korean steps was not confirmed and could be easily reversed. Washington has halted some large-scale military exercises with South Korea to aid negotiations, but has called for strict global sanctions enforcement until North Korea's full, verifiable denuclearization.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-1-3

These two drama queens simply need each other. Both creating a bit of cat fight to put the spotlight to their screams of attention seeking behaviour.

Theatrical play for the most. All good as long as one of them oversteps another personality and weak little North Korea is wiped out of this world. 

It will be another opportunity for Kim to play the neophyte. One thing is certain. Anytime Trump enters a meeting with a counterpart, he is the least intelligent man in the room, and the poorest negotiator. Plus, at this stage he is so desperate, that he will take any promise home, and attempt to make it look like some sort of victory. Just like the last meeting, where he walked away with chocolates, and nothing else. Kim will not give up his nuclear capabilities, without major concessions on the part of the US first. End of story. 

Sounds like NK is becoming desperate. As long as they do not test any missiles they can store their nukes in caves. They can't do anything with them. Let trump meet on his own terms in the mean time they can sit and rot and think about it.

They test even one single missile and it's game on. 

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Sounds like NK is becoming desperate. As long as they do not test any missiles they can store their nukes in caves. They can't do anything with them. Let trump meet on his own terms in the mean time they can sit and rot and think about it.

They test even one single missile and it's game on. 

I think it sounds to most rational observers like Trump has failed. Where did you come up with the strange idea that the threat from North Korea comes from missile tests? It's the nuclear material that those missles can carry that's the threat. And not just missiles. Long range artillery, too.

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I think it sounds to most rational observers like Trump has failed. Where did you come up with the strange idea that the threat from North Korea comes from missile tests? It's the nuclear material that those missles can carry that's the threat. And not just missiles. Long range artillery, too.

The gun in my closet is only a problem if I start randomly shooting it and threatening my neighbors.

There is no urgent need to deal with him now if he doesn't come out shooting. Sounds like the sanctions are beginning to bother Kim a bit. That's fine for now if he doesn't threaten others. 

He can make all the nukes he wants. If he wants the sanctions to disappear it's just more to dispose of. They don't have enough rockets capable of flying very far anyway. if Kim touches Japan or SK once again it's the end of NK forever. There is no way at the moment to completely prevent Kim from doing grave damage to it's neighbors. 

He can make all the weapons he wants because if he even attempts to use one that's the end of it.

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The gun in my closet is only a problem if I start randomly shooting it and threatening my neighbors.

There is no urgent need to deal with him now if he doesn't come out shooting. Sounds like the sanctions are beginning to bother Kim a bit. That's fine for now if he doesn't threaten others. 

He can make all the nukes he wants. If he wants the sanctions to disappear it's just more to dispose of. They don't have enough rockets capable of flying very far anyway. if Kim touches Japan or SK once again it's the end of NK forever. There is no way at the moment to completely prevent Kim from doing grave damage to it's neighbors. 

He can make all the weapons he wants because if he even attempts to use one that's the end of it.

Your analogy is seriously flawed.  If you take the gun in your closet and fire blanks that is what is analagous to missile tests. Not a gun loaded with live ammo.

And you believe that the sanctions are working?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-signals-and-illegal-flags-how-north-korea-uses-clandestine-shipping-to-fund-regime-1543402289

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/20/un-report-details-how-north-korea-evades-sanctions/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/top-secret-report-north-korea-keeps-busting-sanctions-evading-u-n947926

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Your analogy is seriously flawed.  If you take the gun in your closet and fire blanks that is what is analagous to missile tests. Not a gun loaded with live ammo.

And you believe that the sanctions are working?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-signals-and-illegal-flags-how-north-korea-uses-clandestine-shipping-to-fund-regime-1543402289

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/20/un-report-details-how-north-korea-evades-sanctions/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/top-secret-report-north-korea-keeps-busting-sanctions-evading-u-n947926

Do you have any better ideas? What would you suggest the solution is? This has been a problem that hasn't had a solution for decades. As long as they stay quiet it's about as good as can be expected.  Trump having a meeting doesn't change anything one way or another. I don't know why people get so worked up about Trump having a meeting with him. Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

In the mean time no test launches or Kim knows he is in deep deep doo doo. This is better than it was. 

Oh btw you better believe if I take out my gun and start shooting blanks over my neighbors house the SWAT team will come.

Just now, Cryingdick said:

Do you have any better ideas? What would you suggest the solution is? This has been a problem that hasn't had a solution for decades. As long as they stay quiet it's about as good as can be expected.  Trump having a meeting doesn't change anything one way or another. I don't know why people get so worked up about Trump having a meeting with him. Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

In the mean time no test launches or Kim knows he is in deep deep doo doo. This is better than it was. 

Hasn't the problem already been solved?

Didn't Donald Trump claim that North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat and that the problem has been solved?

It was stupid to have a meeting with him because it politically tied Trump to claiming it was a success. Which is exactly what he did. It's especially stupid when the President is a person who is congenitally incapable of admitting error.  Even when confronted with video recordings that contradict what he currently says, he still denies and denies.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I'm not in any rush. I don't have to rush. All I know is there's no rockets, there’s no testing," he said, referring to North Korea's nuclear and missile tests that have been halted since the second half of 2017.

There’s been no testing because the last test caused the underground facility used for such tests to collapse. 

27 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Hasn't the problem already been solved?

Didn't Donald Trump claim that North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat and that the problem has been solved?

It was stupid to have a meeting with him because it politically tied Trump to claiming it was a success. Which is exactly what he did. It's especially stupid when the President is a person who is congenitally incapable of admitting error.  Even when confronted with video recordings that contradict what he currently says, he still denies and denies.

They have been less of a problem than before. Unless they get crazy it's a stalemate. They have been warned to not escalate the situation further. In that sense it has been a small win. if they start testing they are going to find out what a big loss is. 

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Its more of an ace in the hole card for him, like all the arty pointed at Seoul. He wont fire 1st

9 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

They have been less of a problem than before. Unless they get crazy it's a stalemate. They have been warned to not escalate the situation further. In that sense it has been a small win. if they start testing they are going to find out what a big loss is. 

So that's what Trump claims would be an acceptable outcome? A stalemate? Unless your memory for what Trump has said is as bad as his, you want to stand by that?

5 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Of course he won't. trump can talk to him but should remain stone faced. 

You mean like in the wake of the last summit where Trump claimed great success and affection for Kim?

What is clear here is that there is a huge gap between the real Donald Trump and your idealized version of him.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You mean like in the wake of the last summit where Trump claimed great success and affection for Kim?

What is clear here is that there is a huge gap between the real Donald Trump and your idealized version of him.

I do not like Trump as much as you imagine. i have said some pretty glaring things about Trump in the past.

However the situation with NK is much better than it was under Obama when Kim was accelerating his tests. I could care less if they sit in each others laps and french kiss next meeting. It is better than it was before. you can not let anything go no matter what. 

It is better now than it was before and nobody has any solution going forward on either side. You can not let anything go no matter what. You are much like most of the left fixated on Trump and never have any sort of solution that is workable. 

I am not defending Trump's take on it. I am simply stating it was better than it was before. Trump talks nonsense all day every day. If there is a result then take what you can get. Trump is a scary hack, that is why he gets results sometimes. What's funny is he has actually stumbled through all of this better than most people here criticizing him would have.

Nobody has a solution and this is the most stable it has been in that area in recent times. The South Koreans have invited Kim to their country. 

27 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I do not like Trump as much as you imagine. i have said some pretty glaring things about Trump in the past.

However the situation with NK is much better than it was under Obama when Kim was accelerating his tests. I could care less if they sit in each others laps and french kiss next meeting. It is better than it was before. you can not let anything go no matter what. 

It is better now than it was before and nobody has any solution going forward on either side. You can not let anything go no matter what. You are much like most of the left fixated on Trump and never have any sort of solution that is workable. 

I am not defending Trump's take on it. I am simply stating it was better than it was before. Trump talks nonsense all day every day. If there is a result then take what you can get. Trump is a scary hack, that is why he gets results sometimes. What's funny is he has actually stumbled through all of this better than most people here criticizing him would have.

Nobody has a solution and this is the most stable it has been in that area in recent times. The South Koreans have invited Kim to their country. 

Kim made threats and got rewarded.

That's what's called positive reinforcement.

You should acquaint yourself with the history of North Korean missile testing. There have been negotiated hiatuses a lot longer than the current one. By your standards, I guess those were successes, too.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Kim made threats and got rewarded.

That's what's called positive reinforcement.

You should acquaint yourself with the history of North Korean missile testing. There have been negotiated hiatuses a lot longer than the current one. By your standards, I guess those were successes, too.

I get the feeling would disagree and talk in circles all week if engaged. i have never once seen you concede a point under any circumstance. there was missiles flying and now there aren't it's real basic stuff. i said it was a small success. It is better now than under Obama. Unless you count lack of missiles tests as a huge defeat. 

Anyway as you can not help yourself have the last word. i don't intend to respond to you often in the future.

25 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I get the feeling would disagree and talk in circles all week if engaged. i have never once seen you concede a point under any circumstance. there was missiles flying and now there aren't it's real basic stuff. i said it was a small success. It is better now than under Obama. Unless you count lack of missiles tests as a huge defeat. 

Anyway as you can not help yourself have the last word. i don't intend to respond to you often in the future.

And it's nothing to do with the fact that I keep on refuting your points. It's not my fault that the analogical gun you've taken out of your closet is loaded with blanks.

As I pointed out, there were very long pauses before in missiles flying. And of course the missiles that are no longer being tested are far more advanced than they were before. So the threat is greater. Unless you count Kim making angry noises as the chief threat and not what he has to back that threat up.

In addition to which you opened your comments with this very curious remark: "They test even one single missile and it's game on." What game would that be? 

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And it's nothing to do with the fact that I keep on refuting your points. It's not my fault that the analogical gun you've taken out of your closet is loaded with blanks.

As I pointed out, there were very long pauses before in missiles flying. And of course the missiles that are no longer being tested are far more advanced than they were before. So the threat is greater. Unless you count Kim making angry noises as the chief threat and not what he has to back that threat up.

In addition to which you opened your comments with this very curious remark: "They test even one single missile and it's game on." What game would that be? 

You aren't capable of having a discussion. You can chase somebody else in the future. Quite frankly I have wasted too much time on TV lately anyway. Have a nice day.

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

However the situation with NK is much better than it was under Obama when Kim was accelerating his tests.

Actually, if we use your analogy of the gun in the closet the situation is no different at all. KJU has the same number of guns in his closet as he did and they are still not being used. Exactly the same as it was under 44.

Archived