If Blue UK passports replace Red - what about us here?

Anyone know what the position will be if, after Brexit (assuming THAT happens, it;s a bit like the Thai Elections) our feckless and useless UK Government decide to change passports from the red EU ones to the old blue ones. 

I have a red one like anyone else from the UK, it has 7 more years to run. I live here with my Thai wife on the annual extension process, there is no spare money to just toddle off back to the UK and change it so does anyone know if it will be allowed to run to full term and be renewed in blue automatically then or will the red one become invalid and leave us all from the UK hung out to dry? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

"There is no need for British passport holders to do anything ahead of their current passport renewal date."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blue-uk-passport-to-return-after-eu-exit

Just as well! Can you otherwise imagine the chaotic scenes at With-It Tower on 29th March? The queue would, in all probability, stretch all the way from the 8th Floor to Rayong!:shock1:

I doubt it would even stretch to Soi Nana, most Brits I know have gone elsewhere

16 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I doubt it would even stretch to Soi Nana, most Brits I know have gone elsewhere

Like Globe House, perhaps? Hopefully the queue from there wouldn't even stretch to Belgrave Road!

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

"There is no need for British passport holders to do anything ahead of their current passport renewal date."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blue-uk-passport-to-return-after-eu-exit

Just as well! Can you otherwise imagine the chaotic scenes at With-It Tower on 29th March? The queue would, in all probability, stretch all the way from the 8th Floor to Rayong!:shock1:

Exactly.  I've just renewed my UK passport that would expire in June this year, and am waiting for it to arrive (from the agency employed to do it on my behalf - as I would find it very difficult to travel to Bangkok for a couple of days).

I assume it will be red, as the UK hasn't actually left the EU yet.

I can't believe that the OP is seriously worried that Thai Immigration may be concerned about the colour of his passport??!..... ????

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I can't believe that the OP is seriously worried that Thai Immigration may be concerned about the colour of his passport??!..... ????

I think the concern was what the "need to replace or not" policy was going to be, and expenses associated with a change (if needed).  Not what T-Imm was going to think about the color.

Answer appears above in this thread, in any case:
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1076223-if-blue-uk-passports-replace-red-what-about-us-here/?do=findComment&comment=13701826

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Exactly.  I've just renewed my UK passport that would expire in June this year, and am waiting for it to arrive (from the agency employed to do it on my behalf - as I would find it very difficult to travel to Bangkok for a couple of days).

I assume it will be red, as the UK hasn't actually left the EU yet.

Actually, Dick, I think that he was more concerned about the need to have to travel back to the UK in order to obtain a blue passport, were this to have been the strict order of the day post Brexit.

Mind you, though, when compared to having to make 2 trips to Bangkok for this purpose, that might arguably have turned out to be the lesser of 2 evils for him in any event!

Edited by OJAS

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Even the current plonkers driving the UK aren't that stupid, are they?

99.99999999% certain the red passports will remain valid until they expire, at which point you will get a nice, new "Made in Fance" blue one.

wouldna bet on that if I were you,

the lack of intellectual capacity in the UK government is limitless for the time being

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

I'm still here and have no immediate plans to move. As to the colour of the passport, I don't care if the cover is sky blue pink with yellow spots on, its the expiry date that counts.

I have it on good authority, from Johnnie Walker himself, that all sweaty socks, me included, will have to return to Jockland and ask for wee Nicky to approve issue of a new Scottish passport. I can only find a copy of the first two pages of the new issue.

unnamed (5).jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think most of you are still celebrating New Year - hic!

It isn't the colour, it is that it says "European Union" on it that might be the problem, because while there will, probably, still be an EU, Britain won't be part of it so the passport could be construed as a false one by the Authorities.

That is what was at the back of my mind.

1 hour ago, cliveshep said:

It isn't the colour, it is that it says "European Union" on it that might be the problem, because while there will, probably, still be an EU, Britain won't be part of it so the passport could be construed as a false one by the Authorities.

the passport could be construed as a false one by the Authorities.......That's Bol*8cks & YOU Know it.....

Edited by Nong Khai Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cliveshep said:

The new passport contract start date is Oct 2019.

The government have already stated  that no action for persons is required prior to their passport renewal date.

It would only become a problem if the design is removed from the ICAO database

On 1/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, overherebc said:

Don't care what the colour is just get it back to 90 pages at the same price.

Just like the big blue one before would be nice but it wouldn't fit the Imm' electronic scanners.

They only put the first couple of pages in the scanner.

35 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

the passport could be construed as a false one by the Authorities.......That's Bol*8cks & YOU Know it.....

Why so rude? If I knew or agreed with you I would not have asked the question would I? Brexit could happen BEFORE I apply for my yearly extension, so I wanted to be sure of status.