Birth Certificate for new born babies in Thailand

Riaz3014

Can anyone advise the correct procedures for registering the birth of my new born baby in Thailand.  Mother is Thai and I am a NZ citizen and we are not married.  When we went to the registration offices, they said that the baby cant have my surname or any of my names on the birth certificate.  But I have several friends who are in the same situation who have their names and surnames as part of the new born name in the birth certificate.  Anyone that can advise and or help would be great to shed some light as right now too many confusing versions are being brought up!!

the name is provided on the birth registration document.

the hospital does it normally for you when your child has been born.

the registration number start with a 1 or a 3.

The number 1 or 3 has to do with the time passed of the registration of the thai child.

normally there are no issuses and is all going smoothly.

you need the documents, if was born in hospital, or witnesses is she qas born at home and no offical was there during the delivery.

You do need the date, time, and soem othe things like the id of the mother, housebook.

Thai child can have you name.

To proof that the child is really your child, when you not legally married, you do need to have a DNA test and the best is to use the police hopsital in Bangkok. Especially you will need the right documents later for court if you want ot have custody.

Then need to see the mother, the child and you. They swap the inside of you mouth for DNA. Take pictures and so.

You pay 3 times the fee which is about 5000 per person. 

Then you wait a few weeks and get the result.

The result only tell that if it is the case you are the father based on the DNA match, tell mothing about the mother if she is the mother.

This document you can use in court to get custody and then also get the needed document for registirering in your home country so your child will have your nationality as well and can apply for a of you home country passport too.

All takes time. The whole will take about 2 years when you have fully registered you child in Thailand and also in your home country. 

All starts the birth registration you do at the local Ampour. When register ask 2 certified birth certoficate copies. This registration can be done by the hospital or by you.

You probably will need the (original) birth certificate in the future and to do anything elese for that you will need a (certified copy) of the birth certificate. Be smart and have at least as original and a true certified copy which both are provided at the same time when you ask for it.

Also be wise and not leave the birth certiciate behind with family because the chance are they use it to collect money from the goverment and it is you how will have to pay back if the misused it. Since you are the forneigner.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:24 PM, Riaz3014 said:

When we went to the registration offices, they said that the baby cant have my surname or any of my names on the birth certificate. 

Your name does need to be in Thai script before they put it on the Birth Certificate.

(That should have been done on the notice of birth issued by the hospital)

PS.

Post #3 is total BS of the highest order.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, Riaz3014 said:

Anyone that can advise and or help would be great to shed some light as right now too many confusing versions are being brought up!!

When I had a birth certificate for my Thai girlfriend's (not married) and my child, we had a document from the hospital and went to the local administration office, tessa ban, same office that issues house books.

The child could, and presumably still can, have the father's family name, but the father need a certifed translation into Thai language of the family name; i.e. passport translated by an authorized translator (not just any translator).

Given first name shall be Thai, or rather not any of the forbidden names; the office will have i huge folder to check with.

Anyone can state to be the father at the birth certificate, as that is not any proof of being the legal father, if the parents are not married. To proof you are legal father, you'll need a DNA-test and court certificate (not sure about correct wording and procedure, as I didn't use it), which can be useful to get cleared if anything goes "south" in a relationship. You can however also wait till the child is 7 years old and get proof as legal father by the local administration's amphor office. Both the child and the mother need to declare that you are the father, where after the amphor will issue a certificate. Any Thai language certificate will need to be translated, if you are going to use them in your home country's embassy for registration of dual citizenship; follow the information by your embassy, but normally you'll need all translated documents to be verified by a Thai governmental office in Bangkok.

I think there's a 72-hour or so limit for registration of a birth.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Your name does need to be in Thai script before they put it on the Birth Certificate.

(That should have been done on the notice of birth issued by the hospital)

PS.

Post #3 is total BS of the highest order.

Totally agree with BritManToo. Where do they get all this nonsense from? Family court.With written consent from the mother.Alone with the child and a translator if needed.No mother needed since she has already consent on paper with 3 signatures/witnesses.20k Bath to the lawyer. Pick up you're paper after 4 weeks.No DNA. And yes the child can have whatever name you desire. Painless

Lots of Waffle here.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:24 PM, Riaz3014 said:

Can anyone advise the correct procedures for registering the birth of my new born baby in Thailand. 

Not exactly clear what you are wanting. Need more information, please be clear what you want/need to know.. If you have your surname on the Birth Certificate its a start.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

You can however also wait till the child is 7 years old and get proof as legal father by the local administration's amphor office

Yes true, also can be done before the age of 7 through the Thai courts, very expensive.

I am going to be totally honest, you say you are NZ citizen and sign off as Riaz Patel. There may be a deeper issue if you are Indian. Just an observation, I’m an Aussie, wouldn’t happen back home but this is Thailand.

For us, hospital filled in paperwork and we took to "office" (can't remember what office it was). Hospital must have done translations for us as we did not have to do anything in that regard.

Only issue was mother is from Myanmar with no passport and they were insisting on it. I asked did she want us to put baby back until mum could get passport. 

Baby issued with birth certificate but because he was born in Thailand, mum Myanmar and me Ozzy, birth certificate stated son had no nationality and included a remark that he was someone illegally or temporarily in Thailand. Since then I have had him made an Australian citizen with Australian passport.

As with many of the above comments, the hospital provided the information for our son's birth certificate including translations and I collected the certificate from the town hall about a week later. We were not married and the baby took my last name. As the mother is not Thai, there is a note, in Thai, on the certificate to say my son is not eligible for Thai nationality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would like to add my 2 cents in this.. 

Be very sure you take care of the Thai birth certificate at the hospital.. check it completely and carefully for any mistakes or items left out. When my child was born they made some simple typos.. left a space blank... And cause us many trips back to the Bangkok hospital and many headaches both at my embassy to make them citizens as well as adding their names to the Thai household. 

Mother needs to check every detail before accepting the document. 

The hospital, usually doing this for you, has 14 days to inform the municipality:

• about the birth details of your child (time, date, gender, location)
  • name of mother
  • name of father
  • name of the child*

In your case of a non-Thai father it is important to check the top right corner saying "Thai" or "non-Thai"; assuming that NZ allows double citizenship you may want to go for Thai in that corner. See the NZ embassy for details.

*In the case of my daughter the municipality (Klong Toey, in charge of Bumrungrad Hospital)  initially said, that she could not have a middle name as a Thai citizen - OR - the upper right corner would refer to "non-Thai". I went to see them and asked them to show me the applicable rule/law - which they of course could not provide. That allowed a Thai first, a Western middle and my family name and I was legally not married to the mother of the child at that time. 

A friend told me that Thai birth certificate has the father's name, and then also a "Presenter" name. That is the name of the person presenting the documents to the amphur. For the usual case with the parents married, the presenter is usually someone from the hospital. Due to a legal marriage, the child is legally assumed to be the father's. All clear on this point.

In the case of unmarried parents, if the father is ALSO the presenter, the child is legally assumed to be the father's. What usually happens is the HOSPITAL is the presenter, and so the child is NOT legally the father's, which gives rise to the need for a court ruling.

Could some of the experts here shoot some holes in this information? What is the role of the presenter? Does it help, or accomplish anything at all, if the unmarried father is also the presenter? Thanks in advance for replies.

Anyone want to answer?  Is my friend blowing smoke?

On 1/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, NotYourBusiness said:

Could some of the experts here shoot some holes in this information? What is the role of the presenter? Does it help, or accomplish anything at all, if the unmarried father is also the presenter? Thanks in advance for replies. 

"

On 1/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

As with many of the above comments, the hospital provided the information for our son's birth certificate including translations and I collected the certificate from the town hall about a week later. We were not married and the baby took my last name. As the mother is not Thai, there is a note, in Thai, on the certificate to say my son is not eligible for Thai nationality.

There are warnings that foreign dads should not allow the hospitals to provide birth certificates. 

I did it myself, hospital gave me the 'notification of a birth' the next morning, and I drove on my scooter with 20 other dads to the Amphur office to file for the birth certificate, took about an hour, 30bht and a bit of form filling. So easy, I can't imagine why you would chance someone else doing it.

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There are warnings that foreign dads should not allow the hospitals to provide birth certificates. 

I did it myself, hospital gave me the 'notification of a birth' the next morning, and I drove on my scooter with 20 other dads to the Amphur office to file for the birth certificate, took about an hour, 30bht and a bit of form filling. So easy, I can't imagine why you would chance someone else doing it.

When daughter Milly was born. The wife's sister took all the necessary doc's to town to get the Birth Certificate. A few months later we went to BKK to get her registered as an English National. I had to get the birth certificate translated into English. All went well at Wireless Road, and we (all three of us) returned to Isaan.

A couple of days later, I had a phone call from a very well-spoken Thai, from the British Embassy. TCALSS, Milly's father's (me) ountry of birth was put down as Ireland. I hadn't noticed it on the translation.

It was a job and half sorting it all out. The police got involved and it took 2 months. Everything turned out OK in the end but what a palaver.

Best to register a birth yourself.

We had no issues with our hospital (Pattaya Memorial) although I gave them both the English and Thai versions of all our names. They seemed to have the system set up well.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Interesting thanks. This means you are listed as "Presenter" on the birth certificate? Understood your point about chance of error if someone else does it. My question is: does being listed as presenter convey any benefit to an unmarried father? Or not?

Archived