Time to bring your own shopping bags. Thailand appears serious now.

elektrified

Yesterday was a plastic free day in most shops all over Thailand.  I went to Central and had to carry the towels I bought in my hands!  

Also at Friendship they offered me 2% discount if I did not use a plastic bag, I could still get a plastic bag but had to pay for it. 

Not sure if this is only on Fridays or if they will start doing this daily . 

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

Just got back from shopping at Tops and Tesco Lotus this evening. Tops no longer offers plastic bags but does offer paper bags.

In the case of Tops - this is one day a month.  The 4th.  Yesterday was the 4th.  

• Like 2

I did my weekly shopping at Tesco Lotus on Friday morning

They did not have the plastic shopping bags

Im lucky i use my backpacks, as i also use my motor bike

I think this might be starting to be a regular thing

Maybe they are getting us prepared for no more plastic bags

only time will tell IMHO

7 hours ago, balo said:

Yesterday was a plastic free day in most shops all over Thailand.  I went to Central and had to carry the towels I bought in my hands!  

Also at Friendship they offered me 2% discount if I did not use a plastic bag, I could still get a plastic bag but had to pay for it. 

I thought Wednesday was plastic bag-free day? Or is that Rimping only?

11 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I thought Wednesday was plastic bag-free day? Or is that Rimping only?

The 4th day of each month is supposed to be “plastic bag free” in all the major chains ... whether that edict filters down to Somchai at your local 7/11 checkout may be debatable, and for how long it lasts is also to be seen.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 2

We do a lot of Tops home delivery in BKK for groceries.

With every online order, I keep asking them to NOT bring the groceries in plastic bags. And with every ensuing order, they continue to bring them in MANY plastic bags, far more than probably are even needed.

They're hopeless....

My single banana that comes in a wrapper was given to me yet again in a large plastic bag. It’s a daily thing with the same dummy who puts it in a bag after I tell him in Thai that I don’t want a bag. 

How many Thais shop at Tops and Rimping compared to local markets, Big-C, Lotus, and 7-11? Those stores need to get on board in order to make a real difference here. They will eventually. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Change is coming to a store near you. For YOUR good. Get used to it!

IS coming? Perhaps will be coming? Do you have any details about it?

I really hope it is. In Udon 7-Elevens they all still want to put single-item purchases in a plastic bag - until told not to.

12 hours ago, balo said:

Is it not the 4th of every month? Was in Tesco yesterday, no plastic, paper or re-useable ones to buy. Shambles. Must put it in my calendar.....do not shop on 4th's.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

IS coming? Perhaps will be coming? Do you have any details about it?

I really hope it is. In Udon 7-Elevens they all still want to put single-item purchases in a plastic bag - until told not to.

TIT. It doesn't all happen overnight or everywhere at the same time. Slow, shambolic, messy, but come back in a couple of years and.