6 killed, 50 injured after bus overturns in Pathum Thani

Jonathan Fairfield

6 killed, 50 injured after bus overturns in Pathum Thani

tr1.png

Image: Thairath

Six people, including a baby girl, were killed and 50 others injured when a double decker bus overturned in Pathum Thani early on Sunday morning.

Thairath reported the accident occured at 3.20am on Sunday near the 35+100 kilometer marker on the Phanhon Yothin highway in Kholong Nueang.

The bus had been travelling from Roi Et province to Bangkok when the accident occured during heavy rain.

A passenger told Thairath the bus was travelling at speed when the driver suddenly hit the brakes to avoid colliding with a vehicle in front, causing the bus to overturn.

It was not immediately clear where the driver was following the accident. Police said they had been unable to speak to him, but said he could be among the injured that had been taken to various hospitals in the area.

The six victims were confirmed as one man, four women and a baby approximately three months old.

Source: ThaiRath

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just dreadful. Thoughts are with those who haven't made it. 

If the driver is found to have caused the accident, and done a runner (as yet unconfirmed) then i just hope he gets a stiffer sentence than the meth head who caused similar carnage got last month

So unusually the brakes worked very well this time,

the bus driver going too fast for the conditions,they

never seem to learn,resulting in more people to lose

their lives,and this time a baby,very sad RIP those that died.

regards worgeordie

10 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

The carnage continues. I thought that they were going to take all those double-decker death traps off the road?

They were - until the brown envelopes started flying around. 

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

a great start in 2019 for Team Thailand in keeping your title as number one in road carnage worldwide.

and they don't even have to put a lot of effort into it either, just seems to come naturally …..

50 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

The carnage continues. I thought that they were going to take all those double-decker death traps off the road?

Any vehicle is a "death trap" in the hands of an incompetent driver who fails to obey the basic rule of "driving according to the road and weather conditions." This might just as easily have happened in a car, van or single deck bus.

The bus was traveling at speed in heavy rain and presumably the driver hit the brakes and skidded to avoid rear ending another vehicle.

Never take a bus at night , I once did one trip with a VIP bus from Pattaya to CM , but I never felt safe .

Your life is in the hands of a Thai driver. Think about that, no thanks. 

Question:  You are on a bus, it starts raining hard and you know it's a little dangerous since the driver is speeding......

Do you get off at the next stop, regardless of time??

Next time I just might......

Anyone referring to these idiots as drivers are being generous in their description, steering wheel warmer or attendant a more fitting description, most of the idiots can't change gears without crunching the gears, which is a sure sign they don't know what there doing. 

40 minutes ago, puukao said:

Question:  You are on a bus, it starts raining hard and you know it's a little dangerous since the driver is speeding......

Yes, would be No 1 option. 

45 minutes ago, puukao said:

Wife and I did just that a few years ago. It was a public service minivan, late evening, and the driver was being completely reckless.

We insisted he stop and drop us off.  The driver, and some of the passengers, thought this was hilarious.

We got a taxi to the nearest hotel and stayed for the night, then got a public service bus home next morning.

Everyday huge numbers of inter-provincial buses carry vast numbers of people around Thailand.

As far as I can see bus fatalities come under the "others" section:

image.png.ec23c81191ae48afabd930e98e5c7f3f.png

That would equate to about 220 people based on the latest WHO figures:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) released its latest Global Status Report on Road Safety in 2018, reporting on data for the year 2016."

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

Global status report on road safety 2018

image.png.d78579b0513335f5f9cf651103a7b41c.png

Equals 225 bus related deaths.

12.5 times the number of bus related deaths in the UK.

But I would not be suprised to find there was also 12.5 times the amount of bus usage in Thailand.

Which would mean that bus travel in Thailand was not quite the dangerous gamble that it is thought to be.

Archived