6 killed, 50 injured after bus overturns in Pathum Thani

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The carnage continues. I thought that they were going to take all those double-decker death traps off the road?

They work perfectly well in other countries. The only reason they are death traps in Thailand, is the maniacs behind the wheel.

I’ve not traveled in a minivan for at least five years, I’ll probably not set foot in a tour bus either now, as these untrained big bus numpties seem to have the same zero skill level these days as the van drivers.

21 hours ago, puukao said:

Question:  You are on a bus, it starts raining hard and you know it's a little dangerous since the driver is speeding......

Do you get off at the next stop, regardless of time??

Next time I just might......

Definitely.

I would as politely as possible ask the driver to slow down which I realize all here will tell me is doomed to failure.

And if he didn't I'd get off as soon as possible.

I was in Krabi this summer. I'd taken a van (which I had told myself I would never take) from the airport to my hotel at Aonang Beach.

It was about 30 minutes in a totally jammed van during a sunny day, and it went well, which I guess lulled my judgement temporarily.

After a few days there I reserved a hotel room on Koh Lanta for a few days, and a van ride for the next day to leave in the afternoon, so it would be getting dark while traveling.

Then a heavy downpour began, and I rethought my plans for the next day.

I was able to get a refund for the next day's van ride, and sacrificed my upfront payment for the Koh Lanta resort.

And never went there - decided I'd do it at some time in the future when I feel secure enough to rent a car and drive myself.

22 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The carnage continues. I thought that they were going to take all those double-decker death traps off the road?

Really?? You believe what Thai authorities say?

THEY ARE ALL TALK WITH LITTLE OR NO ACTION! Always have been and likely always will be. :sad:

R.I.P. those who lost their lives, condolences to families & friends and a quick recovery to those injured.

As for the driver, hopefully removed from the gene pool! 

23 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

They ‘said’ they were going to = it has been done. Talking about it equates to action here.

22 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

The driver of a double decker bus was speeding during heavy rain at 3.20 AM. Glad I don't have to put my life in the hands of  very well trained and intelligent drivers like that.

40 years ago, I'd buy some Valium before I got on the overnight bus from Loei to BKK.

Why  do we keep talking about all this carnage and rogue/brainless drivers from all types of vehicles. no matter what we say we can't do anything about it . The ones that Can do something about all this suffering don't seem to care and do nothing.

18 hours ago, dcnx said:

Your life is in the hands of someone who:

- Believes fate decides when he dies 

- Is a poor problem solver 

- Has no fear or respect for the law

- Is poorly trained if trained at all

- Will take risks for no reason whatsoever

- 50/50 is under the influence of drugs or alcohol 

- Will drive when sleepy 

- Will drive while on the phone 

Why would anyone risk this risk?

It just doesn’t make sense.

Add to that list "is always in a hurry" 

judging the photo,

the driver -once again- came out from this without much injury.

long time believer that the safest spot on any Thai bus is the driver side, near behind him!

99% of the time they are so unharmed they can even walk/run away!

On 1/6/2019 at 10:54 AM, worgeordie said:

So unusually the brakes worked very well this time,

the bus driver going too fast for the conditions,they

never seem to learn,resulting in more people to lose

their lives,and this time a baby,very sad RIP those that died.

regards worgeordie

Tell me, where they can learn??

On the sh*t driving school, where they get there license in 20 minutes?

After 2 attempts you'll get it always.

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Likewise people sitting in the back of pick-up trucks after a whole family was wiped out doing that. They said they would enforce it after Songkran, so as not to inconvenience people traveling home that way, then after New Year. Then stopped talking about it at all, until the next Thai family gets spewed over the road in pieces. No reaction though when migrant workers get killed in pick-up truck accidents, as happened after the decree on working of aliens made them run for the borders.

Sadly that is the way of life in Thailand. Pickup lives are cheaper and more expendable in the eyes of the elites. Moreover if not using pickup, then what alternative form of transport is available for the poorer people? It is not that these poor people are not aware of the dangers of sitting on the truck bed. It is because this is their affordable form of transport and if any accident happens, then they will just pray for as best result as the situation warrants. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:06 PM, Enoon said:

Global status report on road safety 2018

image.png.d78579b0513335f5f9cf651103a7b41c.png

Equals 225 bus related deaths.

12.5 times the number of bus related deaths in the UK.

But I would not be suprised to find there was also 12.5 times the amount of bus usage in Thailand.

Which would mean that bus travel in Thailand was not quite the dangerous gamble that it is thought to be.

Here is a comparison of US highway deaths for 2016 - population 327 million.  Only 40 deaths involving buses, and only 6 deaths involving intercity buses.

image.png.3ce215dce7eb7f2495dc5e67e420f65b.png

On 1/6/2019 at 10:50 AM, thaichiro said:

Should have been going below “speed” during a rainstorm... especially those inherently dangerous double deckers.

Yeah, stopping distance should be doubled in heavy rain .

Not an accident, just careless driving.

Archived