6 killed, 50 injured after bus overturns in Pathum Thani

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to disagree with you on that my wife is very good and she is very good at parking and reversing in car parks.

7 years driving across this country, (car and bike). I can’t remember how many accidents and dead people on the road ,

I saw.

Speed, alcohol, and drving at nights. van and bus drivers are the most dangerous.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Never take a bus at night , I once did one trip with a VIP bus from Pattaya to CM , but I never felt safe .

Your life is in the hands of a Thai driver. Think about that, no thanks. 

Your life is in the hands of someone who:

- Believes fate decides when he dies 

- Is a poor problem solver 

- Has no fear or respect for the law

- Is poorly trained if trained at all

- Will take risks for no reason whatsoever

- 50/50 is under the influence of drugs or alcohol 

- Will drive when sleepy 

- Will drive while on the phone 

Why would anyone risk this risk?

It just doesn’t make sense.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I have to disagree with you on that my wife is very good and she is very good at parking and reversing in car parks.

Correct, there are many excellent drivers in Thailand, there are many reasonable drivers and then there are the others who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the driving seat or even a kids toy pedal car. 

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

Global status report on road safety 2018

image.png.d78579b0513335f5f9cf651103a7b41c.png

Equals 225 bus related deaths.

12.5 times the number of bus related deaths in the UK.

But I would not be suprised to find there was also 12.5 times the amount of bus usage in Thailand.

Which would mean that bus travel in Thailand was not quite the dangerous gamble that it is thought to be.

You think there's more bus usage in Thailand than the UK? Every city and town, small or big, in the UK will have a network of busses and even local busses sometimes operate between cities. CM has about 4 busses for the entire city. Then there's National Express and MegaBus running the length and width of the country. 

Baby among six killed in Pathum Thani bus accident

By The Nation

79bb72ddfa3cc9d96ae517e65c6f38aa-sld.jpe

Six people including a five-month-old baby were killed and nearly 50 others were injured when their double-decker bus went out of control on slippery road in Pathum Thani and overturned into a ditch early Sunday morning.

94ed650b85c50d8cc36185c798a35aba.jpeg

Pol Captian Watcharapong Thianpratham of Khlong Luang precinct got the call at 3.30am and led officers and rescue workers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation and other groups to the scene at Km 35+100 of the Paholyothin Highway in Tambon Khlong 1. 

They found many of the passengers still aboard the privately operated Bangkok-Phanomprai bus in the ditch, including two drivers who worked in shifts and were among the injured.

99da531f81094c1014fa9a958f2b0a6c.jpeg

Five passengers including the baby had been killed instantly. One of the injured passengers, a woman whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at hospital. 

The bodies were taken to Thammasat Chalermprakiat Hospital for autopsies.

The bus had left Roi Et’s Phanom Prai district at around 8pm on Saturday night, bound for Bangkok.

bdd932a5d0ea6b3b93051e72720e5f0d.jpeg

75f9869a5e043292e3e838e5df0858b2.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361689

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-07

The challenge is that there is no training for drivers at any level for road conditions.  With the digital age, we should at this point be able to build a computer program that tests people under actual road conditions.

The other thing they need to do especially on night runs a 6-hour run should have a driver change at a 3-hour point.

Then there is the law.  I just road from Pats to BKK and back and the first thing that we were told was to buckle up.  It would be interesting to see if people were or were notI would also add that it will be interesting to see excatly what the vehicle in front did.  lately I have been cut off and had cars stop short in front.  Also at night drivers start to swerve so there needs to be a full investigation and not just a witch hunt. 

It appears that there is a lack of political will, proactive policing, citizen education, protest, criminal/civil consequences, interdepartmental coordination and emphasis on safety. That's just a start.

15 hours ago, dcnx said:

Your life is in the hands of someone who:

- Believes fate decides when he dies 

- Is a poor problem solver 

- Has no fear or respect for the law

- Is poorly trained if trained at all

- Will take risks for no reason whatsoever

- 50/50 is under the influence of drugs or alcohol 

- Will drive when sleepy 

- Will drive while on the phone 

Why would anyone risk this risk?

It just doesn’t make sense.

exactly, but  they   will  blame  speed and  its by  far  not  the  main reason, everything  above is  with  total  lack of concentration. Follow  any  of  them  on  a  bike and  note how often  their  head is  looking  away from  the  road

20 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

bus was speeding

how do  they  know.............they  dont, period, how about  the gps or  tachometer, lets  say  speed  was  90 and hes  doing  85............he wasnt  speeding  BUT going  too  fast  for conditions, witnesses  are  notoriously  wrong when they say "too fast" etc.......means nothing as they dont know the actual speed

20 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Anyone referring to these idiots as drivers are being generous in their description, steering wheel warmer or attendant a more fitting description, most of the idiots can't change gears without crunching the gears, which is a sure sign they don't know what there doing. 

witness  many people  lurching  thru  gears esp  on  bikes,  must  bugger  the  transmissions in  no  time..nothing  smooth about  it

19 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

If you only have a health insurance you don't need to worry about this things, a thai fellow told me. The same half-wit doesn't have a car seat for his kid.????

or a brain  cell  in  that  frontal  cavity

18 hours ago, Enoon said:

Global status report on road safety 2018

image.png.d78579b0513335f5f9cf651103a7b41c.png

Equals 225 bus related deaths.

12.5 times the number of bus related deaths in the UK.

But I would not be suprised to find there was also 12.5 times the amount of bus usage in Thailand.

Which would mean that bus travel in Thailand was not quite the dangerous gamble that it is thought to be.

and 12.5  times  the  amount of under reporting  too

25 minutes ago, Benmart said:

It appears that there is a lack of political will, proactive policing, citizen education, protest, criminal/civil consequences, interdepartmental coordination and emphasis on safety. That's just a start.

and many  just  dont  want it

21 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The carnage continues. I thought that they were going to take all those double-decker death traps off the road?

Likewise people sitting in the back of pick-up trucks after a whole family was wiped out doing that. They said they would enforce it after Songkran, so as not to inconvenience people traveling home that way, then after New Year. Then stopped talking about it at all, until the next Thai family gets spewed over the road in pieces. No reaction though when migrant workers get killed in pick-up truck accidents, as happened after the decree on working of aliens made them run for the borders.

37 minutes ago, Benmart said:

The provincial bus companies are usually owned by people with political clout in their provinces who don’t want to be inconvenienced by safety regulations. This one was obviously illegally modified by having an upper deck welded on to a single decker body like many others in Thailand. They were going to crack down on that after a similar tragedy a few years ago but.....

Archived