6 killed, 50 injured after bus overturns in Pathum Thani

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, z42 said:

Just dreadful. Thoughts are with those who haven't made it. 

If the driver is found to have caused the accident, and done a runner (as yet unconfirmed) then i just hope he gets a stiffer sentence than the meth head who caused similar carnage got last month

Thailand could make an Olympics team from bus and truck drivers.

They certainly appear to know how to run.

I was injured in an overturned bus about 10 years ago (nothing changes). Amazingly I was the only one trapped by the collapsed roof and no fatalities. It was an overnight run and the driver fell asleep at the wheel. As you would expect he did a runner. At the time I felt he should have been punished for that and driving when over tired. Since then I see things in a more realistic light. Drivers more likely run to avoid a good beating or even death. The police easily obtained his details so there was never a chance of avoiding any due penalties. The real culprits are the bus companies for not controlling their drivers. Speed limiters should be fitted to all public service vehicles. The best way to make them more responsible is to have an efficient compensation scheme for the victims of these avoidable collisions and hefty fines all paid for by the bus company. I was given £300 compensation, which, as I spent about 1 year off work recovering with only the UKs income support (£60 a week after 2 months without anything)  to live on (and my savings) is farcical and certainly no incentive to stop it happening in the future.

So stop blaming these unskilled, untrained, overworked or uncaring useless drivers and put the blame where it belongs - the uncaring companies that employ them and the mob mentality that makes it unsafe for the drivers to do the right thing.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, I wonder said:

Are there words to describe these maniacs that are let loose in these buses, pick ups and the dreaded minivans!?!

Duty of care? Responsibility? 

What the **** is that all about?

“Thai” 

44 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I was injured in an overturned bus about 10 years ago (nothing changes). Amazingly I was the only one trapped by the collapsed roof and no fatalities. It was an overnight run and the driver fell asleep at the wheel. As you would expect he did a runner. At the time I felt he should have been punished for that and driving when over tired. Since then I see things in a more realistic light. Drivers more likely run to avoid a good beating or even death. The police easily obtained his details so there was never a chance of avoiding any due penalties. The real culprits are the bus companies for not controlling their drivers. Speed limiters should be fitted to all public service vehicles. The best way to make them more responsible is to have an efficient compensation scheme for the victims of these avoidable collisions and hefty fines all paid for by the bus company. I was given £300 compensation, which, as I spent about 1 year off work recovering with only the UKs income support (£60 a week after 2 months without anything)  to live on (and my savings) is farcical and certainly no incentive to stop it happening in the future.

So stop blaming these unskilled, untrained, overworked or uncaring useless drivers and put the blame where it belongs - the uncaring companies that employ them and the mob mentality that makes it unsafe for the drivers to do the right thing.

Oh, the blame goes everywhere. The drivers take the jobs knowing they are not qualified and we’re probably motorbike taxi drivers the week prior.

The companies and drivers are at fault.

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

Oh, the blame goes everywhere. The drivers take the jobs knowing they are not qualified and we’re probably motorbike taxi drivers the week prior.

The companies and drivers are at fault.

But what is important is how to reduce these kind of preventable collisions happening. No point blaming someone if it's not going to change anything.

If you blame the drivers nothing will change as there is a never ending supply of cheap incompetent drivers. Even if you execute every one who causes a fatal crash they are easily replaced. If you severely punish the companies for their negligence they will become much more careful who they allow to drive their buses, their training and the state of those drivers and the state of the buses themselves. The notorious brake failure which is probably more often than not brake fade, excessive speed and other such causes due to poor training, poor maintenance and unsafe buses (no ABS etc) would all be taken far more seriously.

Archived