New Panel Slams Ambulance Standards

george

New panel slams ambulance standards

BANGKOK: -- A Public Health Ministry fact-finding committee probing corruption in connection with the purchase of 232 ambulances found that 14 specification conditions for the vehicles had been violated, chairman Dr Sant Hathirat said yesterday.

He said an earlier finding by a previous panel, chaired by Dr Panya Sonkhom, that only three conditions were violated was wrong.

The three items found to be substandard were the wheelchair, the spinal board, and the test kit for measuring the sugar level in blood.

The doctor said a comment by Panya's panel that oxygen tanks equipped with a valve used for metal welding "could be used with extra personnel training" put ambulance staff at unnecessary risk. Sant claimed he knew of accidents from explosions using the industrial type valves.

Sant said the philly collar and hand-used ventilator had noreference information to describe how much each of them cost or in which country they were manufactured - a violation of the purchase contract.

The soft casts were also made of polyester although the deal required vinyl.

Responding to Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla's recent statement extending "sympathy" for Panya's panel, Sant said he was not sure whether a minister was entitled to such an ambiguous message. "Otherwise no investigation or fact-finding committees need exist," he added.

--The Nation 2007-02-22

BANGKOK: -- A Public Health Ministry fact-finding committee probing corruption in connection with the purchase of 232 ambulances found that 14 specification conditions for the vehicles had been violated, chairman Dr Sant Hathirat said yesterday.

He said an earlier finding by a previous panel, chaired by Dr Panya Sonkhom, that only three conditions were violated was wrong.

The three items found to be substandard were the wheelchair, the spinal board, and the test kit for measuring the sugar level in blood.

The doctor said a comment by Panya's panel that oxygen tanks equipped with a valve used for metal welding "could be used with extra personnel training" put ambulance staff at unnecessary risk. Sant claimed he knew of accidents from explosions using the industrial type valves.

Sant said the philly collar and hand-used ventilator had noreference information to describe how much each of them cost or in which country they were manufactured - a violation of the purchase contract.

The soft casts were also made of polyester although the deal required vinyl.

Responding to Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla's recent statement extending "sympathy" for Panya's panel, Sant said he was not sure whether a minister was entitled to such an ambiguous message. "Otherwise no investigation or fact-finding committees need exist," he added.

--The Nation 2007-02-22

I think that all of the above pales into insignificance alongside the fact that no one lets them through so they can proceed to the hospital!

I have seen them stationary for over an hour with sirens/lights going on Phetburi. I can only imagine what goes on inside, but it is sickening. I really hope I don't require such transport in this town...

I am a medic by trade and I would say the biggest problem i observe in my many stays in Thailand is the training of the crews. Ive seen patient handling "technics" that were so wrong it was really pathetic to watch.

I am sure glad I was not the patient in them cases!!!!!!

as far as I can see you might get hurt more by the "medic"trying to help then by whatever happen to you. I am aware most of the medics are volunteers trying to earn good karma ( merrits) but equipment is just part of the solution. Since corruption will not go away in the near future I would hope proper training should be the main focus here

gee Id love to get a training contract!!!!!!!!!

email me message me phone me ANYTIME !!!!!! LOL

chock dee!!!!!! typing this on duty in northern BC Canada oil field !!!!!

:o