My visa plan - will it work?

I’m a British man, 60, retired, sufficient money in the bank, single, never married, no kids. I have been living in Kuala Lumpur off and on for a few months, but am not a legal resident of Malaysia. MM2H is currently out of my reach.

I want to live in Thailand for at least one year, possibly many years, with frequent trips abroad.

I'd much rather not have to go back to the UK to get a one year Non-Imm O-A. And METV would be difficult because I’m retired. The Thai Elite visa is too costly for me.

Have read a lot and particularly this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666890-documents-required-to-present-for-non-o-imm-visa-at-chaengwattana/

So this is what I plan to do:

1. Get a Thailand SETV for 60 days (can extend by 30 if necessary) at KL or Penang. Enter and not leave Thailand until step 5 has been completed. Rent a condo (?).

2. Open a Thai bank account and move at least 800k Baht in funds from the UK.

3. In Bangkok, convert the SETV to a single entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (for the purpose of future application for extension based on retirement), giving me 90 days permit to stay. Will need proof of 800k Baht in bank and proof that funds came from abroad. (My application will be based upon proof of capital, not income.) I think I will NOT need proof of good conduct from UK police, nor medical examination certificate.

4. During the last 30 days before expiry of Non-Imm O, apply for a one year extension based on retirement. Will need proof than 800k has been in bank for at least 60 days.

5. Immediately apply for multiple re-entry permit.

6. Near the end of the one year extension, apply for another one year extension (if desired). 800K seasoned for 90 days.

7. Apply for another multiple re-entry permit.

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 until bored/broke/dead.

a) Overall, have I laid out a workable procedure? Are there any shortcuts, or better ways of achieving my objective? I have seen in this thread that I should be able to get a 90 day Non-Imm O at Penang and bypass step 1:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/875990-non-o-visa-application-declined-in-kuala-lumpur/

Definitely true or not?

b) Having viewed a few Thai embassy websites, I'm a bit confused about my eligibility for Non-Imm O, because I'm not married to a Thai, visiting relatives or doing voluntary work, etc. It seems from the official information that the only visa for me would be a one year Non-Imm O-A, yet I have seen it repeatedly stated here that I will be able to get a 90 day Non-Imm O visa on the basis that I will apply for the one year 'retirement' extension in due course. True?

b) Will I be able to open a Thai bank account with just a SETV? If not, then are funds of at least 800k Baht equivalent deposited in a UK bank sufficient for step 3?

c) Can the one year extension definitely be done *during* the last 30 days of the Non-Imm O? If not, there wouldn't be enough time to season the 800k for 60 days.

d) At what stage do I have to show a rental contract? I.E. how late can I leave it before committing to a contract?

e) Will I need to produce a Police letter of good conduct from the UK and a medical certificate at any stage of the process?

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

Perfect plan. You can convert from SETV to Non-O in an immigration office inside Thailand.

29 minutes ago, SmartH said:

b) Will I be able to open a Thai bank account with just a SETV? If not, then are funds of at least 800k Baht equivalent deposited in a UK bank sufficient for step 3?

Hit and miss. Should be able to open a Bangkok bank account. But may not be easy. You have to be persistent and may have to talk to the Manager. Go to their larger branch not branches in shopping centers. 

c) Can the one year extension definitely be done *during* the last 30 days of the Non-Imm O? If not, there wouldn't be enough time to season the 800k for 60 days.

Yes, it can be done definitely

e) Will I need to produce a Police letter of good conduct from the UK and a medical certificate at any stage of the process?

No police letter for good conduct and doctor's health certificate required if done inside Thailand.

If you're willing to spend 15K baht, you can avail the services of visa company (or agents) and they will smooth out the process, documents, opening bank account, etc and it is hassle free. From second year, it is very easy and most people do it by themselves. For the first year, specially changing from Tourist visa to 3-month Non-O and then to one year extension, you may encounter some issues at different offices but if you're persistent you can do it yourself as thousands have done it before you very successfully. Best option is to come here on an O-A visa but you have already ruled that out. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

Youmay find after depositing money in the bank it may be easier to go to lao and get a non-o visa for retirement purpose. Then you can wait until the last 30 days and extend that non-o. I know several people from the UK who did it that way

• Like 2

Really no reason to blow money on a visa agent. You seem to understand what needs to be done and with the money in the bank, applying for an extension of stay should be easy.

Opening a bank account may take a few attempts. If you try a branch of one of the major banks in an area likely to have a number of farang customers already, you'll manage. Just try a few different branches if the first or second attempt runs into a roadblock.

• Like 1

You can do it exactly the way you laid it out. You should have zero problem. If there are any comments stating differently they are wrong. I have had a retirement visa for 17 years and the way you describe, even with some changes to the Immigration procedures  is what has to be done. Good luck and enjoy your new life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

Youmay find after depositing money in the bank it may be easier to go to lao and get a non-o visa for retirement purpose. Then you can wait until the last 30 days and extend that non-o. I know several people from the UK who did it that way

If he was in Pattaya/Jomtien or other problem-office areas, then definitely.  But reports indicate Chang Wattana Bangkok will do the Non-O stamp by-the-book. 

46 minutes ago, SmartH said:

Thanks for the supportive comments. I'd still really like to know about the rental contract issue, though. Can I get away with just using AirBnB or some informal arrangement? 

Good question.  Even a longer-term hotel-rental has worked in the past, but the goalposts may be sliding on this one.  I would suggesting providing a formal rental/lease contract plus a signed-copy of the landlord's ID. 

If you want no-worries, before signing on the dotted-line, make sure the landlord will supply signed-copies of their ID, their personal House-Book, the House-Book of your rental, and the Chanote (purchase-document) for your rental.  That is the most which will be asked. 

Current reports indicate that this complete list is only currently demanded of those getting extensions based on being married to a Thai - but since starting a new rental-arrangement, best to cover your bases.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1