Air pollution in Khorat

william76

The burning is the thing I dislike the most living hear. I have been cleaning up the black soot from the sugar burning for the last month. This morning the air was thick with smoke, not very nice.

Hopefully with the sharp drop in sugar price the farmers will be growing less next year and the burning will be reduced.

Must be a sugar thing. In my part of Sisaket (amphur Kantharalak in the south of the province) corn, cassava, rubber, fruit and market vegetables/herbs&spices are the main non-rice crops.

We get a little bit of grass verge burn-off and occasional rice stubble burns but nothing really invasive (that comment applies year-round). I would know about it if we did due to being a pool owner with a chest condition - double whammy if there is any soot around!

17 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Must be a sugar thing. In my part of Sisaket (amphur Kantharalak in the south of the province) corn, cassava, rubber, fruit and market vegetables/herbs&spices are the main non-rice crops.

We get a little bit of grass verge burn-off and occasional rice stubble burns but nothing really invasive (that comment applies year-round). I would know about it if we did due to being a pool owner with a chest condition - double whammy if there is any soot around!

Yes is it a sugar thing.

Leaves burnt off the cane before cutting.

It makes cutting it appreciably less worse than cutting it (unburnt) in the hell of an 18th century slave plantation in the West Indies.

I have been living in a village about an hour out of Udon Thani now for 3 years, living the planned dream in the making for 10 years....lol

Well after 3 years both the Mrs and I are thinking of relocating down south near Phuket or somewhere outside of Hua Hin, rents are cheap enough, say up to 30,000 baht per month.

It's a joke not being able to open your windows in the morning most days before 10am, then closing them before 5pm before everyone lights up their fires for dinner. Told the Mayor a couple of times to get garbage bins and a truck to collect like the village adjoining, yes yes I tried but people don't want, it cost money, they happy to burn their rubbish and inhale the smoke on top of the back burning, ah, living in the land of smiles, perhaps the seachange will make a world of difference, especially for the kids who also have to breath in the crap, even at school assembly which lasts for 45 minutes, one morning even the school was burning some rubber right next door to our 4 year olds classroom, everyone was affected, wonder why, you dump fks.

Plan is in place, and will probably come back here for holidays as we have a big house which we enjoy, but maybe not if we enjoy the seachange and beach walks..... ????

Archived