Jump to content

Aussie passport expires do I need to reapply for retirement visa in Thailand


Recommended Posts

Hi ...I hope someone can help with some advice ....

My Australian passport expires in Jan 2020 and I am currently residing in Thailand on a retirement visa now ....what steps do I need to reapply for Aussie passport and retain my  thai retirement visa to live in Thailand on new issued Australian passport ...do I need to reapply for retirement visa after new passport issued in Australia ...?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  You have a one year extension of stay from immigration or a non immigrant O-A visa from a Thai Consulate?

2.  Your current permission to remain in Thailand is until?

3.  Are you obtaining passport from Oz Embassy in Thailand or making a trip to Oz to obtain?

4.  You have or will have a re-entry permit if travel to Oz?

 

Sorry but there are variables depending on exactly what you currently have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

i originally had an non immigrant O-A visa obtained in Australia July 17 and now had another one year extension as I lived here in Thailand since then ...current visa runs out in July 2019 ....can I reapply here in bkk Thailand to renew my Aussie passport which expires in Jan 2020 or do  I need to go to Australia ? ..there is a period of approximately 6 mths between visa and passport expiring ....I still want  a retirement visa as I want to live here in the kingdom.....thank you helping and I hope this explains enough for you to advise me as I unsure of wether to go back to Australia to renew all but if I can do it all here it would save a trip back to Oz ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

This appears to outline procedure to obtain new passport:

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Australian_Passports_Page.html

 

Once you have new passport you would go to immigration to have current stamp transferred into the new one (embassy should provide letter asking for that) and then extend normally in June/July for full year again.  No cost to transfer but will need normal copies of old/new and visa/extensions.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for clearing a few details up as I now have an AusPassport account .....I will renew my thai retirement visa for another  year in July 2019 .....what period of time before I can apply for Australian passport before it expires here in Thailand ?..can I renew earlier ?...... I reside in pattaya and can I reapply here at pattaya immigration once Australian passport is renewed or do I have to go to BKk immigration to transfer to new Aussie passport .....

thank you lopburi for astute advice on this matter ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

You visit immigration in the area of your extension of stay.  Believe you can renew passport anytime (many people have to do early if they travel a lot and use all the pages).  With less than a year validity passport is only of limited use (you can not extend for a year for example and when down further many not be able to obtain visas from some countries).  If me I would probably do in April/May allowing plenty of time to get new passport and transfer before needing to extend (which normally do a month early).

Link to post
Share on other sites

i did the same about 2 years ago, picked up new Australian Passport, old one cancelled by Embassy in Bangkok but your retirement visa is still valid, came to Phuket went to Immigration and they just transferred it across but be aware they will transfer a lot of other Retirement visa stamps or whatever they feel also, i think i lost

immediately something like 6 pages in new passport after they finished doing all this...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the same position a couple of years ago.

 

Go to the Australia Embassy in Bangkok website for infomation on passport renewals, and what documentations and pics you need.

 

About 7-8 months before passport expires, go to the Oz Embassy and apply for a new passport - it takes a few weeks to process.

 

Once you have the new Oz passport, go to your local Thai immigration office to transfer your existing visa to the new passport - just takes a few minutes.

 

All done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to the Australian embassy in Bangkok and get a new passport.. and pay through the nose for it!.. Take it to you immigration office and have the visa transferred.. I've done this when a passport was damaged.. it costs but it works.. good luck..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my passport renewed too while I was in Thailand.

My country is The Netherlands, I got the new passport at the Embassy in Bangkok.

They kept the pages with my visa intact, just punching hole in the ID part and covers, with enough details visible (pic, name, dob,..)

When I crossed the border at the Airport, the immigration transfered the visa to the new passport. It''s a stamp which notes the old passport number, type visa and dates.

 

Advice: If a visit to the immigration office is easy, do that. If it is too far, at the airport this can be done. (smile and choose the path of the smallest resistance.. have done the re-entry stamp this way too, at no cost.)

 

Rgds,

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

Go to the Australian embassy in Bangkok and get a new passport.. and pay through the nose for it!.. Take it to you immigration office and have the visa transferred.. I've done this when a passport was damaged.. it costs but it works.. good luck..

True. I had mine at the embassy too. It cost double the price compared when obtained in your own country, but tickets are expensive more than that if only for the passport. (Netherlands, for Malay passport go fly! 😉 )

The funniest is that the 'businness' kind passport was priced the same as the 'regular' one. I choosed the fat one obviously. With the stamps I get it will be full before the 10 years period end.

 

Rgds,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, donim said:

I had my passport renewed too while I was in Thailand.

My country is The Netherlands, I got the new passport at the Embassy in Bangkok.

They kept the pages with my visa intact, just punching hole in the ID part and covers, with enough details visible (pic, name, dob,..)

When I crossed the border at the Airport, the immigration transfered the visa to the new passport. It''s a stamp which notes the old passport number, type visa and dates.

 

Advice: If a visit to the immigration office is easy, do that. If it is too far, at the airport this can be done. (smile and choose the path of the smallest resistance.. have done the re-entry stamp this way too, at no cost.)

 

Rgds,

If you have an extension of stay you transfer stamps at immigration.  If here on a visa entry then it can be done during exit at most locations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, donim said:

True. I had mine at the embassy too. It cost double the price compared when obtained in your own country, but tickets are expensive more than that if only for the passport. (Netherlands, for Malay passport go fly! 😉 )

The funniest is that the 'businness' kind passport was priced the same as the 'regular' one. I choosed the fat one obviously. With the stamps I get it will be full before the 10 years period end.

 

Rgds,

There is certainly a healthy surcharge for a new passport issued overseas, but it isn't double the price.

Fees for 2019:

10 year validity issued in Australia   - $293

Overseas surcharge                        - $132

 

Pricey, but you get a lot for your money. It has an in-built smart card to ensure your smooth transit through most airports, more security features than you will ever know about, and it will take you a lot further in the world than a new, much more expensive iPhone, for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Novoal said:

Hi

i originally had an non immigrant O-A visa obtained in Australia July 17 and now had another one year extension as I lived here in Thailand since then ...current visa runs out in July 2019 ....can I reapply here in bkk Thailand to renew my Aussie passport which expires in Jan 2020 or do  I need to go to Australia ? ..there is a period of approximately 6 mths between visa and passport expiring ....I still want  a retirement visa as I want to live here in the kingdom.....thank you helping and I hope this explains enough for you to advise me as I unsure of wether to go back to Australia to renew all but if I can do it all here it would save a trip back to Oz ..

I am getting my new passport is oz but before I leave Thailand I will make sure I have a re entry visa, when I return I was told by immigration that I give the immigration at the airport both new and old passports, the old passport having the re entry then I have to go to the immigration office and transfer my retirement visa into my new passport

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Raymond Hoskings said:

I am getting my new passport is oz but before I leave Thailand I will make sure I have a re entry visa, when I return I was told by immigration that I give the immigration at the airport both new and old passports, the old passport having the re entry then I have to go to the immigration office and transfer my retirement visa into my new passport

The only thing not covered with that is Embassy letter asking for transfer of stamps into new passport - may not be required or might have to make trip to Embassy to obtain something.  Also may be delay on return and need to make sure stamps are made correctly.  Not worth the price difference if it were me but if no choice should be fine if you double check everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know the procedure for when mine comes up in 2023.

 

I have a slightly off the topic question, i.e. both of our daughters have dual passports and their Australian passports expire in November this year (2019) and as we are travelling to Sydney for 11 nights, come early October this year, I have heard that you should have at least 6 months validity remaining on passports, so my question is, should we renew them before we travel to Sydney in October or when we get back 12 days later, again in October, we don't wish to do it in Sydney as it might be cutting it fine, regardless if it's cheaper.

 

One of the girls Thai passports also expires in December 2019 so we are also thinking of getting that done before we fly out in October 2019 just to be safe, the other is good till October 2020. 

 

Appreciate the feedback, although slightly off the topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have a slightly off the topic question, i.e. both of our daughters have dual passports and their Australian passports expire in November this year (2019) and as we are travelling to Sydney for 11 nights, come early October this year, I have heard that you should have at least 6 months validity remaining on passports, so my question is, should we renew them before we travel to Sydney in October or when we get back 12 days later, again in October, we don't wish to do it in Sydney as it might be cutting it fine, regardless if it's cheaper.

When entering Australia with a Australian passport there would be no minimum for the passports validity.

 

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

One of the girls Thai passports also expires in December 2019 so we are also thinking of getting that done before we fly out in October 2019 just to be safe, the other is good till October 2020. 

A Thai can enter Thailand with a expired passport so the their certainly not be a problem entering with couple of months remaining on her passport.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When entering Australia with a Australian passport there would be no minimum for the passports validity.

 

A Thai can enter Thailand with a expired passport so the their certainly not be a problem entering with couple of months remaining on her passport.

Thanks Joe, so we can wait till we get back then, one less headache to worry about before we go and come back 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2019 at 5:51 AM, Novoal said:

Hi

i originally had an non immigrant O-A visa obtained in Australia July 17 and now had another one year extension as I lived here in Thailand since then ...current visa runs out in July 2019 ....can I reapply here in bkk Thailand to renew my Aussie passport which expires in Jan 2020 or do  I need to go to Australia ? ..there is a period of approximately 6 mths between visa and passport expiring ....I still want  a retirement visa as I want to live here in the kingdom.....thank you helping and I hope this explains enough for you to advise me as I unsure of wether to go back to Australia to renew all but if I can do it all here it would save a trip back to Oz ..

Renew your Aussie passport in Thailand.  When you collect it you might want them to stamp in your OLD passport that you have a new passport (number included).  Just in case TI here wants it as proof before they transfer the stamps across, because the Embassy no longer issue letter for this purpose.

 

Bring both the old and new passport to immigration.  They will transfer the required stamps to the new passport while you wait.  The IO was good and he optimized all required stamps into just 2 pages.  Took me a week to get my new passport at the oz consulate in Phuket.  Saves you the trouble of coming back here with 2 passports which can be challenging for some IO at the airport.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the OP probably knows, coming into Thailand the passport has to have six month's validity. Best to do it now than wait. I never have over-estimated the ability of officialdom of any nationality to screw things up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, lopburi3 said:

This appears to outline procedure to obtain new passport:

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Australian_Passports_Page.html

 

Once you have new passport you would go to immigration to have current stamp transferred into the new one (embassy should provide letter asking for that) and then extend normally in June/July for full year again.  No cost to transfer but will need normal copies of old/new and visa/extensions.

 

Absolutely no need to go back to OZ to replace your passport.

 

- Go to website above,

- partly complete the application on line, print a copy

- get the correct photos,

- visit the consular section of OZ embassy in Bkk, with print as above and photos and some cash, no need for appointment in advance, but check the consular hours

- have a quick friendly interview (10 minutes, painless - waiting time to start the interview 5 - 20 minutes approx. normally very quick), consular officer will write a confirmation and signature on back of photos and keep the photos,

- you indicate whether you want to pick up your new passport at the Bkk embassy or post direct to your house by EMS

- pay the fee and get a receipt,

- new passport normally available (actually made in OZ) or arrive at your house 3 to 4 working days

- done it 3 times already, posted to house, quick and painless

 

- go to Thai immigration get Thai visa stamps transferred old to new passport

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a new passport request due to water damage and that was on the 20th of December and I am still waiting. BTW I had to make an appointment and they didn't like the photo and had to get a motosai to the old embassy area to get a new photo. Another chap there had an appointment in an hours time and was told to wait even though he was the only other person there. Eventually they decided to see him 30 minutes early. He too was sent away for a new photo. All the money spent on a new embassy and they couldn't buy a camera that would have paid for itself.

 

It shouldn't be that hard to get an appointment time now they don't witness documents. In fact they may as well take half the seats out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for the advice .....but what documents are needed to apply for Aussie passport  at Australian embassy in Bangkok ...and who and where can I get the documents certified for submission to  Australian  embsassy .Bkk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Q. Will the oz embassy keep the old passport during the renewal process?

....If yes, how to fly back to Isaan or get through the road check points without a passport if not waiting in bkk for a week or so at a hotel till its back with the new passport?

I'll be needing a new passport next year but i travel twice a year back to oz. Just wondering if its not better to renew in oz while there anyway? Has anyone done it this way? If yes, have there been any issues with immigration at bkk airport?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Novoal said:

Thx for the advice .....but what documents are needed to apply for Aussie passport  at Australian embassy in Bangkok ...and who and where can I get the documents certified for submission to  Australian  embsassy .Bkk

The information is listed on website.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/files/bkok/Passport_Information_Adults 11_2018.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, eagleo said:

Q. Will the oz embassy keep the old passport during the renewal process?

No

16 minutes ago, eagleo said:

I'll be needing a new passport next year but i travel twice a year back to oz. Just wondering if its not better to renew in oz while there anyway? Has anyone done it this way? If yes, have there been any issues with immigration at bkk airport?

No problem to do that. You will use both passports when entering the country to use the re-entry permit in your old passport if on an extension of stay or a valid visa if you have one and then be stamped into the country in your new passport.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience is with a NZ passport, but the Thai immigration side will be the same.  I just applied for a new one 2 days ago online, and received an email this morning saying it was ready and would be couriered to my house.  Last time, they also sent a letter with it asking for any visas to be transferred, however, if there isn't one I'll go to the NZ embassy and request it.  There is a form to fill in, which is available to download on the Thai Immigration website, requesting that they transfer the old visa to the new passport.  (Form number 34 on page 2 of this site):

https://www.immigration.go.th/download/

 

Off topic for an Aussie passport, but still may be useful for some;  You can apply for a new NZ passport at any time, either because of loss, damage, no blank pages left, or expiry.  Extra paperwork is needed in the case of loss or theft though.  Some countries allow you to enter if only 30 days remain (with proof you will be leaving before then), it seems most only allow entry with 6 months remaining though.  There are 2 ways to apply:

1. Get a form from the embassy, fill it in and return it to the embassy.  When the new one arrives they will send an email, go and collect it from them.  This involves more work on your side, but you may still use the old passport until the new one arrives.  They will cut one of the corners off the old passport, attach a big red "cancelled" sticker to the front and return it to you.

2. Make the application online.  You will need the passport and contact details of a NZ citizen to vouch for your existence (but I have done this for others and they have never actually contacted me).  This is hassle free, and you can take the photo yourself, crop it to the required dimensions and upload it to the application.  However, as soon as you click 'submit' your old passport will be cancelled, (but can still use it as proof of ID, just don't try and leave the country using it).  

Edited by ballpoint
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Novoal said:

Thx for the advice .....but what documents are needed to apply for Aussie passport  at Australian embassy in Bangkok ...and who and where can I get the documents certified for submission to  Australian  embsassy .Bkk

Read the website.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it make difference ??......My Australian car license expires mid feb 2019 ,as it has an My Australian address and pic on it will i  be able to use it  as it will be out of date  when I apply  to renew  my Australian passport in April ....also have thai car and bike licences ...can I use them ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...