UK Visitor Visa - Thai Girlfriend of 2+ years

Hello all, I'm having some issues with the Visa, I've searched around but feel pretty lost. 

Let me explain the background story. In 2016 I went out to Thailand to start TEFL teaching (Teaching English), soon after I arrived I met Priya and we ended up staying together. Priya is a cardiac Nurse at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital with a salary of around 30,000 + Overtime, she recently also bought her own condo and is paying that off through a loan from the bank, she also owns her own car and supports her Mother who doesn't work. Overall Priya is self sufficient and has every reason to go back to Thailand after a trip. Moving on with the story, I fell in love with teaching whilst I was out there and Thai life and decided the next step would to get fully qualified in the UK and return to Thailand in a few years and work in one of the International Schools. Fortunately I got offered a teacher training place via the salaried route (£19,750 in training year), and came back to the UK in September. Of course I miss Priya like mad and agreed if she paid for her flights, I would cover the costs whilst she is here if she could come in the Easter Holidays (7th - 22nd April). I live in South East London and costs here are high so am currently living with my parents, so she would have no costs for staying as my parents said she can stay her rent free.

I can obtain proof of income, reference from my previous job in Thailand, contract of work etc. She can provide her proof of work at the Hospital with Salary and proof of her assets such as her Condo.

Here is my problem, she has filled some of the online application on with some odd answers (my fault for not fully checking).

Under how much I would sponsor her, she wrote £370 as she would also have 20,000 baht. I am happy to contribute a lot more than £370 so will this number seem unrealistic to UK immigraition in terms of spending costs.

Secondly under sponsors she put myself and my dad, now I am happy to financially sponsor all her going out costs. My family can write a letter stating that they are happy for Priya to stay her and provide proof of mortgage,they have also met her before. I doubt however my Dad will want to provide his banking details, he earns a fairly high ammount but is really secretive about giving over these details. Will it be ok me explaining that I will be the main financial sponsor and they will just sponsor a place to say despite the fact she's put both our names down.

Finally I have tonnes of photos of us together so this is no issue, however we talk via facebook messenger therefore no call logs or emails. 

Could anyone give me any advice or shed some light on my concerns, thank you in advance!

If she hasn’t hit the complete button on the application you can start again or you can change them. It's much better that you do the whole thing any way no matter how good her English. Two many cooks and all that.

That way you just list you as her sponsor. You only need to show that you have enough money to fund the trip and it sounds as if your girlfriend is financially self sufficient any way. I don't think you'll have any issues with this visa at all if you put a good application together. Do you have any flight or hotel bookings where you have flown together? UKVI no longer encourage you to send photos.

Thanks for the response. Yes we have flight tickets together for where we have travelled around Thailand. 

Unfortunately she has already paid and completed the application. She's wrote i will sponsor her £370 when in fact I can provide more, is this likely to cause a problem? She's also wrote my dad down as a sponsor, he's happy to provide ownership of house but not his bank statement. I however will provide my bank statements.

Just a small comment which you may find helpful, and certainly something to keep in mind. 

The authorities will want to be convinced that Priya has sufficient ties to Thailand, or reasons to return, because she is at an age where she could seek employment in the UK and become an illegal alien.  Her job, family, etc., will not necessarily be enough to convince them, which may sound counter-intuitive but is often, unfortunately, the case.

Unfortunately, owning a condo and a car, whilst it sounds good, is a red flag.  She may owe more money to the financing banks than these supposed "assets" are worth.

I wish you good luck with obtaining the required visa.

I would suggest that you write a letter to accompany your application, more or less the same as your post but leaving out non relevant details. Immigration have to build a case that she will be returning to Thailand, this is their main concern, so details of her work, family commitments, residential and car investments etc. an of course your intentions to return to Thailand are of paramount importance. My girlfriend was successful with her first visa, admittedly some years ago but we made sure to write the letter, than inform the British Embassy when she returned. This advice was given to me by a worker at the B E years ago. Best of luck.

I showed 6 months bank statements, was for a 2 month trip to UK, I'm sure they will be able to see you have sufficient funds, but there is no set amount of income needed for a sponsor.
I personally wouldn't worry, good luck.
Ps.
There's a member on here called Theoldgit I got good advice from him!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

As long as she still has a job in Thailand and confirmation from her employer that she has annual leave and will be returning to work when she gets back from the UK, you shouldn't have an issue. If she has shown she has 20,000 to cover the trip, it should be plenty and there is no need for you or your dad to contribute anything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's so difficult because you have to answer the question exactly how they want them answered. My now wife, then gf, applied directly to the embassy twice with no success, we then decided to go through an agent and she got the visa without any problems, she's been to the UK 3 times and will be here again on 28th of this month for 5 months.

Another thing to bear in mind is they are also worried about her going to UK and then getting married there as that then changes the situation entirely.

Even though she was in possession of a Visa issued at the embassy in Bangkok my girlfriend, now my wife of 20 years, was grilled intensively by Immigration UK on arrival in a very rude fashion which culminated in, 'So, are you going to get married while you are here?'

My wife was annoyed with the rude questioning manner and truthfully answered, 'No, he's already married!'

In my defence I must point out that I was already separated from a previous disaster and in the process of divorce before I met my wife.

The Immigration lady (I use that term very loosely) looked at me aged 40 but looking more like 50 and my wife aged 30 but looking more like 20 and wanted me to die; probably with her help!

But no reason to stop the entry of my wife to UK, problem solved.

14 hours ago, rasg said:

If she hasn’t hit the complete button on the application you can start again or you can change them. It's much better that you do the whole thing any way no matter how good her English. Two many cooks and all that.

That way you just list you as her sponsor. You only need to show that you have enough money to fund the trip and it sounds as if your girlfriend is financially self sufficient any way. I don't think you'll have any issues with this visa at all if you put a good application together. Do you have any flight or hotel bookings where you have flown together? UKVI no longer encourage you to send photos.

I reckon they will have issues. My wife has applied twice and been rejected both times. We used an expert in Visas and they put together the package and submitted. We made sure that we did everything by the book but still got rejected. Even the person that put the package together stated that this was very unfair. The reasons were pathetic. My wife then was 44 years of age but one reason was they didn't think she would go back to Thailand after 6 months. She only wanted to come for a couple of months as stated in her application.  And if they had contacted me I would have given personal guarantees that she would have returned. It's as corrupt as everything else that has authority in Thailand 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hobobo said:

If you're teaching English, all I can say is I feel lucky I'm not your student.

I typed that all up on a phone in a panic last night! But anyway I'm just a general teacher across all subjects in the UK now.

Thanks to everyone else for the help. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, weri said:

Best of luck with your application, I tried same in December 2017 with all required details and also advised that I would be in Thailand March 2018 for further documentation if needed, got a negative response within 3 days after application submitted without reason given but typical sentence, "after careful consideration it is declined because the applicant would have no intention to return to Thailand" 

Total stupid response as her family and my family are long term friends and I've been several times in Thailand and just wanted to say thanks by showing her my country. Looks like the Embassies in Thailand are all a bit biased thinking every female Thai wants to get out of the country when in reality most don't want to travel abroad at all !!

Same happened to me , a carbon copy . Did you use an agent and are you married or is she your girlfriend ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dougiemac57 said:

I reckon they will have issues. My wife has applied twice and been rejected both times. We used an expert in Visas and they put together the package and submitted. We made sure that we did everything by the book but still got rejected. Even the person that put the package together stated that this was very unfair. The reasons were pathetic. My wife then was 44 years of age but one reason was they didn't think she would go back to Thailand after 6 months. She only wanted to come for a couple of months as stated in her application.  And if they had contacted me I would have given personal guarantees that she would have returned. It's as corrupt as everything else that has authority in Thailand 

I applied twice and refused twice. First time married for 4 years and sent them everything and I had money and property here and in uk and she had money in bank etc. They denied her because she didn't show 6 months bank statements but that was because the bank said would take a few days to get them from BKK office and the date was after her interview for the visa appointment.

Fair enough I thought and applied about 2 years later with same info etc . She had property in her name at this point, car paid in full in her name and owned a restaurant with myself and over 1 million in bank for over a year. Denied as didn't think we were married despite paperwork , photos etc . Didn't think she would return to Thailand , Said she didn't have enough for return flight !!!! and think the other thing was they said she had no funds ???

I had stated I was paying for everything . Had letters confirming that if something went wrong my mother would cover money costs in uk. Letter confirming we were married by a chief of police that was at my wedding in Thailand .

Yet I know 3 of her friends who got a visa to the UK with zero money , job , property etc and knew their boyfriend about 3 months. They all used visa agents and paid for the service and around 25000bht for the agent to work his magic !!

• Like 1

All these stories are interesting but not really relevant, I could add that my girlfriend, now wife, applied for two six month visas and a two year visa as my girlfriend and a visa with a five year validity as my wife, all were issued and no agents were used or required, but that fact isn’t really relevant, so I won’t mention it.

The fact remains that the vast majority of visas are issued and the vast majority of applicants don’t feel the need to use an agent.

The op is asking for advice, not hard luck stories or other off topic responses.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

I applied twice and refused twice. First time married for 4 years and sent them everything and I had money and property here and in uk and she had money in bank etc. They denied her because she didn't show 6 months bank statements but that was because the bank said would take a few days to get them from BKK office and the date was after her interview for the visa appointment.

Fair enough I thought and applied about 2 years later with same info etc . She had property in her name at this point, car paid in full in her name and owned a restaurant with myself and over 1 million in bank for over a year. Denied as didn't think we were married despite paperwork , photos etc . Didn't think she would return to Thailand , Said she didn't have enough for return flight !!!! and think the other thing was they said she had no funds ???

I had stated I was paying for everything . Had letters confirming that if something went wrong my mother would cover money costs in uk. Letter confirming we were married by a chief of police that was at my wedding in Thailand .

Yet I know 3 of her friends who got a visa to the UK with zero money , job , property etc and knew their boyfriend about 3 months. They all used visa agents and paid for the service and around 25000bht for the agent to work his magic !!

I share your disappointment & questioning of visa decisions as will many others no doubt .

• Like 1

The wife was going to be initially refused a Visa back in 2006 (when it was done locally in Bangkok) on the may not return to Thailand BS, her Company Director wrote her a letter Stating that She will visit the UK between "dates", and return to duty on **/**/2006. Visa then approved.

In 2014 she got the 10 year visitor visa, Got Dad to confirm the accommodation (owner of the house), had to submit 6 months pay slips, with the corresponding bank statements, showing the Salary going in the Bank etc. > 18600 GBP but went through OK. She's only been over once to the UK on that Visa, but it was so much hassle and time off work, going to Bangkok for the Biometrics etc. thought it was worth getting the 10 year one. Some of the Biometrics would not work on the machine at the Airport in the UK, so she was delayed at arrival for about 15mins. Though she did not get grilled at arrival, there was some beside her getting grilled with the strange questions and doubting looks from the BF folk, who was getting outraged!

(I think the sponsorship income or combination is 18600 or 18600- income = X pounds, X pounds x 2.5 = Cash in bank or ISA/investments with instant access).

I think the sponsorship income or combination is 18600 or 18600- income = X pounds, X pounds x 2.5 = Cash in bank or ISA/investments with instant access.
There are no set financial requirements for those wishing to sponsor an applicant for a visit visa, the figures you allude to are for a spouse sponsoring a settlement visa.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, superal said:

Same happened to me , a carbon copy . Did you use an agent and are you married or is she your girlfriend ?

I have taken my GF, not wife, to UK four times for holidays. Said I would be her sponsor and stay with my family members. She does not work here, but we put Bht 50,000 in her bank, No problems whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

Why on earth did you not complete the application on her behalf and sponsor her. If you fill in the fields correctly and write a good sponsor letter giving proof of funds, relationship and reason to return I can guarantee from experience that she will get the visa. My wife has had 3 general 1 year family visit visas and is halfway through a 5 year family visit visa. We travel together and spend May - October (5 months) in the UK every year.

Never had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, wgdanson said:

I have taken my GF, not wife, to UK four times for holidays. Said I would be her sponsor and stay with my family members. She does not work here, but we put Bht 50,000 in her bank, No problems whatsoever.

My GF has her own business and 4 bedroom property plus 2 cars and bank account .  Supports her mother and we have been together for over 7 years . She was refused a tourist visa on the grounds of she may not return to Thailand . Her application was compliant and ticked all the boxes .

So to the poster Tinribzzz if there are any " wrongs " in your app I would doubt that you will be successful . But there again you may be as there are many cases of short term relationships , with the lady having no assets , being successful . I know of one such case where an agent was used and visa issued .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, superal said:

My GF has her own business and 4 bedroom property plus 2 cars and bank account .  Supports her mother and we have been together for over 7 years . She was refused a tourist visa on the grounds of she may not return to Thailand . Her application was compliant and ticked all the boxes .

So to the poster Tinribzzz if there are any " wrongs " in your app I would doubt that you will be successful . But there again you may be as there are many cases of short term relationships , with the lady having no assets , being successful . I know of one such case where an agent was used and visa issued .

Was that since the decision making was transferred to Bombay?

5 hours ago, superal said:

I would love to see the refusal letter on this one.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:13 PM, wgdanson said:

Was that since the decision making was transferred to Bombay?

Sorry for delay . No , the decision made in Bangkok . I was so annoyed I contacted the then Chief of inspector of borders & immigration , John Vine , who took the time to send me two emails , was sympathetic but finally told me to apply again . 

Not trying to hijack this post but I have just read that up to 17000 UK families will be broken each year  because of the refusal of visas for the overseas wife of a UK resident husband .

Within my Thai family are some well to do earners who do not have a problem getting UK tourist visas as they have good jobs in the financial world . However securing a UK visa of any type is not a straight forward procedure for the less well off , is open to the interpretation of decision makers and is not consistent .

I hear that using an agent is your best chance but not guaranteed .   Good luck Tinribzz

I have went through this process and have seen others go through it too. I have seen a very well to do Thai girl with a good government job and a salary of 60000 per month, her own codo and a lot in the bank being refused. She also spoke perfect english.

I on the other hand showed my GF as earning little and no funds of her own which was true. I said and showed that I could support her financially for the time she was in europe. I got insurance, flights, hotels, car hire and shows all booked in advance and an itenerary. I provided letters from my family and friends attesting to a subsiting relationship ( we live together) of 4 years, 2 of which living together. I provided a letter from our juristic stating that they were aware that we had been living together in a subsisting relationship for over 2 years. All the pictures, her name on the house book and bank statements. Letters from her employer and salary, there was much more that I provided, too much to go in to.

I believe that the most important thing to UK immigration is proving a subsisting relationship and a guarantee that your partner will return to Thailand. If she has her own money and contacts in the UK then she could abscond. My partner had no contacts nor money to do that. I also have a daughter and property in Thailand which holds me here. They are however only concerened with the applicant not you, other than financial support. She will not be a burden on the state, not abscond, guarantee that she will return to her own country

( I personally guaranteed this in a signed letter) .

I think in your circumstance it will prove very difficult to get a visa as the chance of her absconding is very real in their eyes. She has her own means and a skill that could be used in the UK ( such as a live in carer for elderly or disabled persons). You can try but you had better 'prove' that she will return. Cross all the T's and dot all the i's. I suceeded by the way whereas that very well off, beautiful and intelligent girl in the good government job did not. Good luck.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, superal said:

On 1/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, superal said:

Similar when my wife (Chinese) applied for US Visa. Probably all the same approved or denied you pay. I filled out the online forum and submitted for her they give an appointment and she flies there for interview declined. I told her try again and she did declined. She was a mess crying and so on. 

Now I’m thinking we’ve been together 5 years last two married. Is she some type of criminal and I don’t know. Called Embassy Citizen 

help. They said I would need to come there to discuss. Then I’m thinking what’s going on has she done something wrong?

Fly there for appointment go to the window and gets the file. I said 

why declined. Sir we have reason to suspect fraud. The province we lived in had the most visa jumpers to US.

He pulls out a paper on top of file. We suspect this is fake. Oh? 

Why? ... whatever he said. I told him I wrote the invitation letter

check the signature against my passport. A couple of strokes on the keyboard 2 minutes later ok she’s approved. She’ll need to come and pick it up. 

I questioned why do these things happen when you all the information to make a lodgical decision. He said the US once 

your in doesn’t track you like China and that’s why so many 

are denied. 

China does keep a good good eye on you. We were visiting a Chinese Aircraft Manufcture out in the middle of no where China.

if I or my colleague left the hotel we were followed.

The colleague was the VP go to customer to give presentation. 

The usual greetings slide the pictures of some of our customers 

aircraft and a coulple pictures of this Chinese company helicopters

from the Internet.

All hell went loose they got his laptop. Questioned us for awhile and we’re looking at each other what’s up it a commercial helicopter nothing military about it we didn’t sneak in and take 

pictures. Finally the said ok you can go now, we headed right to th bar....... 

At least there’s opportunities for excitement. OP try calling and 

see if you can get them to listen. Best of luck

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I have went through this process and have seen others go through it too. I have seen a very well to do Thai girl with a good government job and a salary of 60000 per month, her own codo and a lot in the bank being refused. She also spoke perfect english.

I on the other hand showed my GF as earning little and no funds of her own which was true. I said and showed that I could support her financially for the time she was in europe. I got insurance, flights, hotels, car hire and shows all booked in advance and an itenerary. I provided letters from my family and friends attesting to a subsiting relationship ( we live together) of 4 years, 2 of which living together. I provided a letter from our juristic stating that they were aware that we had been living together in a subsisting relationship for over 2 years. All the pictures, her name on the house book and bank statements. Letters from her employer and salary, there was much more that I provided, too much to go in to.

I believe that the most important thing to UK immigration is proving a subsisting relationship and a guarantee that your partner will return to Thailand. If she has her own money and contacts in the UK then she could abscond. My partner had no contacts nor money to do that. I also have a daughter and property in Thailand which holds me here. They are however only concerened with the applicant not you, other than financial support. She will not be a burden on the state, not abscond, guarantee that she will return to her own country

( I personally guaranteed this in a signed letter) .

I think in your circumstance it will prove very difficult to get a visa as the chance of her absconding is very real in their eyes. She has her own means and a skill that could be used in the UK ( such as a live in carer for elderly or disabled persons). You can try but you had better 'prove' that she will return. Cross all the T's and dot all the i's. I suceeded by the way whereas that very well off, beautiful and intelligent girl in the good government job did not. Good luck.

Personally guaranteeing that somebody will return means absolutely nothing in a visa application.

There is a big difference between the two visa applications you mentioned. One fulfilled the criteria. The other didn't.

You can have a government job, own condo etc etc but if you put a poorly prepared application into UKVI there will be a refusal. Prepare the application properly, fulfill the three main criteria and tell the truth and the visa will be granted. With a sponsor, prove the relationship, have enough money to pay for the trip and show that the applicant will return to Thailand. That is pretty much it.

• Like 1