Shampoo rip off

owl sees all

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It sounds fine to me, but are you sure you are actually getting 250ml?

Tip it out and pour in some water from a measuring jug. Or weigh it. And report back to the team.

Just a word about measuring volume; watch out for the meniscus.

Please be more precise. Should he be measuring from the top or bottom meniscus?

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Once again Ody; thank you. But,,, you have slightly missed the point of the topic.

The shampoo is indeed excellent. If it was rubbish, I would be even more vociferous. It is the volume of the contents that are of real concern to me. We are - at least the ones buying the shampoo - being ripped off due to the short measure.

It is silly to suggest that we check if we are getting the correct amount when we buy, but this thread has demonstrated that we must be on our guard against the rip-off merchants.

I'm delighted that you are enjoying the thread immensely. Of course, this is a bonus. Most posters are content simply to be enlightened, but if they enjoy it too; well that's just great. Put's a spring in my step too.

Owl, I too am enjoying this thread immensely. As a late-comer I'm only halfway through it.

It makes my post on the price of sliced bread in 7 Eleven fade into insignificance.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Owl, I too am enjoying this thread immensely. As a late-comer I'm only halfway through it.

It makes my post on the price of sliced bread in 7 Eleven fade into insignificance.

When you see a mod joining in the fun, it really is good.

12 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Talking about the refill packs...I have an old bottle which contained originally 800 ml of the yellow lemony stuff...Fairy Liquid in old money. Buy a 820ml refill....it will not come up to the top of the bottle. Cheating Fairies.

I wouldn't trust anyone who lived at the bottom of the garden.

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It's around this time of night when serious topics get ripped to pieces by the bar-stool crowd.

Last evening it was the same with some unmentionable innuendo. So much so that a mod had to step in, to restore calm.

I'm off to shower now and then to bed by 7-45.

I'll report back about the 2 litre canister tomorrow.

Good night to the team and may the force be with you.

You're sure you meant 'to bed by 7-45', and not to bed by the 7-11?

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

You are very generous with your words bluesofa, but your 7 Eleven rant cut new ground; and bread.

Thanks for joining the anti-rip-off team. May the force be with you bro'.

When the misses gets back from tending the buffaloes we are going into town to buy a 2 litre bottle of 'Wild Natural' shampoo; essence of durian, if they are not sold out.

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Maybe its a US Litre ? Like  the  US  gallon? ????

This comment reminded me of the first time I visited the US...

I went into a bar/pub, and when the barman recognized my English accent he proudly announced that he sells beer in pints.  After I complained that the glass was a little on the small size, he said - 16 fluid ounces...

It was only then I realized that US pints were relatively just as small as their gallons.

(So the Texas ten-gallon hat, should really be called an "Eight Imperial Gallon Hat".)

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Maybe its a US Litre ? Like  the  US  gallon? ????

Sorry to mislead you dumbastheycome, but it states quite clearly on the bottle that it holds 1000ml. I just said 1 litre for those posters (not you of course) that could be confused over the term 1000ml.

Apologies bro'. Thanks for contributing to the anti-rip-off thread. And that makes you a fully paid-up member of the team (unless you wish to opt-out sometime in the future).

It is important that we are all aware of the titfulls of being too nonchalant in Thailand (or as we used to say in Dagenham, "hello Squire; are you nonchalontee?"). For some the sun never sets, and we can be led into a false mode of security.

My recommendation is that all TVForum members check the labeling on any containers holding stuff and check the contents for integrity.

10 minutes ago, steve73 said:

This comment reminded me of the first time I visited the US...

I went into a bar/pub, and when the barman recognized my English accent he proudly announced that he sells beer in pints.  After I complained that the glass was a little on the small size, he said - 16 fluid ounces...

It was only then I realized that US pints were relatively just as small as their gallons.

(So the Texas ten-gallon hat, should really be called an "Eight Imperial Gallon Hat".)

Or as a wise-guy cracked: "Looks like a ten gallon hat on a two pint head."

5 minutes ago, dapperdan said:

Sure they are saying pea and not pee?

I'm sure that the shampoo is 'Butterfly Pea'. I'll take a pic' and post it bro'.

You are member 69 in the anti-rip-off team. Congrat's!!

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Right you are bluesofa.

Some good and bad news. First the bad; the shop where they sell the larger bottles was closed. But I found out they do a 5litre container also. Interesting that.

The good news is that I pointed out to the staff the actual amount the 1000ml bottle holds is just 800ml. I'm full of hope that they will do something about the shortfall.

While I was in the store I purchased a new bottle of 'banana' shampoo and also I thought I'd try their conditioner (40 baht, the same), and that is yogurt flavour.

PICT0090.thumb.JPG.d6dafa96cc817616d69c884f50fce488.JPG

I've also taken a pic of the bag. Go ahead and feast your eyes on the pics.

PICT0093.thumb.JPG.efbe4814e2e68ad3fa68202060a11049.JPGPICT0095.thumb.JPG.7ce6bbfb025ac29c450336954137265e.JPG

PICT0091.JPG

PICT0092.JPG

Right you are bluesofa.

Some good and bad news. First the bad; the shop where they sell the larger bottles was closed. But I found out they do a 5litre container also. Interesting that.

The good news is that I pointed out to the staff the actual amount the 1000ml bottle holds is just 800ml. I'm full of hope that they will do something about the shortfall.

While I was in the store I purchased a new bottle of 'banana' shampoo and also I thought I'd try their conditioner (40 baht, the same), and that is yogurt flavour.

PICT0090.thumb.JPG.d6dafa96cc817616d69c884f50fce488.JPG

I've also taken a pic of the bag. Go ahead and feast your eyes on the pics.

PICT0093.thumb.JPG.efbe4814e2e68ad3fa68202060a11049.JPGPICT0095.thumb.JPG.7ce6bbfb025ac29c450336954137265e.JPG
PICT0091.thumb.JPG.4a7c9b737eeb5ac2f9967cbc15950b1e.JPG
PICT0092.thumb.JPG.08ca17de3b5a978bf8042eb6b7cc7f7a.JPG

Banana !! you’ve got my attention now !! Anything banana and I’m interested .

And only 39 baht !!

Gotta be a bit careful if you go to Lopburi though !!
Them chimps will tear you apart !!

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Banana !! you’ve got my attention now !! Anything banana and I’m interested .

And only 39 baht !!

Gotta be a bit careful if you go to Lopburi though !!
Them chimps will tear you apart !!

I'll take note of that for sure Andrew. Their sense of smell is probably quite the nuts. Would not like to face ravenous chimps. They are not as cute as they are portrayed to be.

And as you have pointed out the price has dropped 1 baht to 39. So now only a 7 baht rip-off.

I'm gonna mix some of the conditioner with some shampoo. Save a lot of effort, and time, if that works. I don't like to spend more than just 3 minutes on the daily shower. Got important things to do.

Thanks for your interest AD.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm gonna mix some of the conditioner with some shampoo. Save a lot of effort, and time, if that works. I don't like to spend more than just 3 minutes on the daily shower. Got important things to do.

Please no no no, OSA. The shampoo is for cleaning your hair. The conditioner is for CONDITIONING. That means various additives in it attach themselves to the surface of the hair so it becomes lustrous and pliable.

If you mix the two together, you are making the shampoo less effective. The conditioner will not attach itself to your follicles, because it will be emulsified by the shampoo.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please no no no, OSA. The shampoo is for cleaning your hair. The conditioner is for CONDITIONING. That means various additives in it attach themselves to the surface of the hair so it becomes lustrous and pliable.

If you mix the two together, you are making the shampoo less effective. The conditioner will not attach itself to your follicles, because it will be emulsified by the shampoo.

OK Lacessit. I hear you. Not a good idea.

I wanted to save a bit of time in the bathroom each evening. If I could be in and out well inside 3 minutes. It would give me more time for other things.

Thank bro'.

PP So you should wash off the shampoo before applying the conditioner in that case. OK. I get it.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm sure I'm seen all-in-one shampoo and conditioner?

Or I suppose you could mix the two, then pour them straight down the sink - cutting out the middle-man completely.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure I'm seen all-in-one shampoo and conditioner?

Or I suppose you could mix the two, then pour them straight down the sink - cutting out the middle-man completely.

Yes.

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

OK Lacessit. I hear you. Not a good idea.

I wanted to save a bit of time in the bathroom each evening. If I could be in and out well inside 3 minutes. It would give me more time for other things.

Thank bro'.

PP So you should wash off the shampoo before applying the conditioner in that case. OK. I get it.

If you want to save time - my GF cuts my hair with no comb in place on the clippers. About 1 mm long when she's done.

Only needs shampooing once a week, and I don't use conditioner because at that length it's superfluous.

This advice comes free, but think of the money you could save now, even after being mulcted of your life savings previously.

It’s like Subway selling a foot long sub but in fact when measured they are only 11 inches long , if your paying 40 b per 1000 ml then that’s 4 Baht per hundred ml, they are ripping you of 8 Baht . Definitely a matter for the police. 

Quite agree about the foot long advert, when I ask my wife if she would like the 'foot long special ', she always reckons she's been short changed!

[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

It’s like Subway selling a foot long sub but in fact when measured they are only 11 inches long , if your paying 40 b per 1000 ml then that’s 4 Baht per hundred ml, they are ripping you of 8 Baht . Definitely a matter for the police. 

Now the price has reduced to 39 baht it is only a 7 baht rip-off.

I've had my say in the shop and here on TVForum I have tried to warn many members. I'll e-mail the actual manufacturer next week. But, they are probably innocent in this. I feel the real culprit is the bottling plant.  I'll not waste my time emailing Chan-o-cha. He says he is fighting corruption but I doubt if he would give this a second look (although he did reduce the lottery tickets back to their proper price) when he stepped up to lead the country.

This thread will surely fade away soon. But if anything important/significant crops up I'll immediately report back.

If it were my shop and someone complained that there was 8 bt of shampoo "missing" I would probably let him (or her) have the required shortfall, directly over their head, thereby cutting out the need for a larger or separate container...

;-)) 

Archived