Is gov't health insurance for Thai farmers any good?

piewarmer

My Thai partner pays annually for government insurance for her 70yo mum, last years premium was just over 9000B.

She says its life and medical insurance and mum gets free hospital.

On her death the funeral costs are covered and the government gives a lump sum like an insurance policy.

She tells me if you miss a premium the whole lot is gone. . really?

I searched a bit here on this forum but no result, this scheme sounds good and bad,

does any forum members have anything to add? cheers.

All Thai have free medical/hospital care or at cost of 30 baht.  This is likely not government but a local funeral co-op type insurance (that many people do indeed have).  Do not believe government runs any of these but could be wrong.

not a government scheme.

Some sort of local cooperative

Her mother already has free health care (outpatient and in hospital) through the government system, all Thais do,  so nothing added there.

It may be some sort of local scheme for funeral costs (common, as mentioned) and maybe "life insurance" but if the latter seems dodgy, if life insurance is desired should be obtained from a proper bank or insurance company. 9000 baht a year seems high just for a funeral scheme.

43 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

9000 baht a year seems high just for a funeral scheme.

Not only that but do not believe it would be one payment a year - those programs are for the poor who would never have saved that amount at one go.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

not a government scheme.

Some sort of local cooperative

Her mother already has free health care (outpatient and in hospital) through the government system, all Thais do,  so nothing added there.

It may be some sort of local scheme for funeral costs (common, as mentioned) and maybe "life insurance" but if the latter seems dodgy, if life insurance is desired should be obtained from a proper bank or insurance company. 9000 baht a year seems high just for a funeral scheme.

Agree

There may be several schemes

1. Village funeral - Apparently you don't get much money from that, from what wife was saying

2. Village bank - I've come across situations where every yr they wait for people to pay back money & then wait to see what is in the kitty for people to obtain again

Archived