Best Bank to Put My Money Into Outside the USA.

NCC1701A

• 2 weeks later...

You can possibly open an account with one of the Swiss banks but they will require at least $1 million USA for Wealth Management.   There are some very good banks based in Panama but they are like Thailand and very restrictive to open if you don't live there.  There are also the British and Canadian Banks but again I suspect they will be restrictive.  You might try the Cayman islands which is British and home to nearly every bank in the world. 

I was walking by my bank in Vegas in 2009...oh, <deleted>, they were robbed.  Nope, Bank of Nevada was now FDIC Bank of Nevada....paid in full.  But don't underestimate how heavily involved the EU banks were in the crisis.  I bought houses owned by Credit Suisse and Duetche..at 20 cents on the Dollar +/-.  Bank Thai lost it's shirt on CDOs and TMB "merged" with ING....but overall the Thai banks fared pretty well.  Bank of Colombia?  or even Mexico...but MXP has been flaky.  Lots of Arizonans used to buy CDs there, at high rates..but most got burned on the devaluation of the peso, even though they were getting 10%.  And don't forget Cambodia, which commonly offers USD accounts.  Oz or NZ are fine, but something tells me there would be tons of paperwork and lots of suspicion.  Getting a nice dividend on my WestPac stock.

18 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

As nobody had answered this question I checked for myself.

Both DBS and UOB require you to have a Singapore work permit to open an account.

it all depends on the type of account.... I have savings account at DBS and don't have Singapore residence nor work permit

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 5:28 AM, Thailand J said:

Citibank Singapore has stopped opening new accounts for US persons.

Has anyone with a US passport opened a bank account in Sg lately without working or living there and which bank?

sg.jpg

They blocked Europeans too, only Europeans that no longer life in Europe are allowed, so if you are based in Thailand you can still open Citibank SG accounts as a european.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:02 AM, Mavideol said:

it all depends on the type of account.... I have savings account at DBS and don't have Singapore residence nor work permit

Dito, but a business account with DBS and UOB while i reside in thailand. No work permit needed.

UOB THAILAND is actually totally fine, Thong Lor branch...

They do have USD/EUR accounts too, same service as UOB Singapore... i don't think its much of a difference if its UOB Thai or SG, if one is in trouble the other one is too prolly...

Archived